Concept: Sabnzdb+ built in search component (other index sites to be added)

Got a program that plays well with SABnzbd? Share it here!
crackerbox

Concept: Sabnzdb+ built in search component (other index sites to be added)

Post by crackerbox »

just some concept art I put together...

Now NZBmatrix has introduced a new API that allows for:
Searching for NZBs
Displaying a list of results
Displaying Individual details on an NZB
Direct Download of NZB

This new API would allow the concept pictured above to be a reality
Last edited by crackerbox on January 4th, 2010, 3:07 pm, edited 1 time in total.
inpheaux
Administrator
Administrator

Re: Concept: Sabnzdb+ built in search component (other index sites to be added)

Post by inpheaux »

This is a good idea, but please follow the rules:
(No) Posting un-sanitized screenshots or logs showing what you have or are downloading from Usenet. (Since we may at times need you to post these things, PLEASE apply black bars to your screenshots in MS Paint, and replace names and ID's with asterisks in logfiles.)
And yes, implementing this should be pretty easy. We haven't done it officially because if usenet indexers are getting sued we don't want sabnzbd's functionality to basically mirror them. It's tough to look at a feature and go "hey! that thing you're getting sued over! yeah, we should totally do that!"
crackerbox

Post by crackerbox »

inpheaux wrote: This is a good idea, but please follow the rules:
(No) Posting un-sanitized screenshots or logs showing what you have or are downloading from Usenet. (Since we may at times need you to post these things, PLEASE apply black bars to your screenshots in MS Paint, and replace names and ID's with asterisks in logfiles.)
And yes, implementing this should be pretty easy. We haven't done it officially because if usenet indexers are getting sued we don't want sabnzbd's functionality to basically mirror them. It's tough to look at a feature and go "hey! that thing you're getting sued over! yeah, we should totally do that!"
Sorry about that.  Now the download history is blured out, and the search results are for "Ubuntu"

It would be really cool if someone could do this as a 3rd party plugin.  Think of how sweet it would be in a mobile interface (I know there already is "an app for that" but apps for some other mobile platforms are lacking a lot of functionality)
Comet

Post by Comet »

Very nice. Would love to see this. Newzbin search would be great too. Being able to search all of them at the same time would be great too
rollingeyeball
Release Testers
Release Testers

Post by rollingeyeball »

I'd love to see a cleaned up version of some of the free indexers too. RSS would work right? Then there's no stupid scraping which I know is hated.
crackerbox

Post by crackerbox »

I just put the image together, I wish I had the time to code something like this.

Unless an indexing site has an API or uses RSS, it would not be usable without screenscraping which would be a huge pain.

Switch has an xbmc plugin where different indexing sites are searchable, someone with a little python code savvy could port that into the web interface without too much difficulty.

As for "official support".... from a technical standpoint, would a 3rd party plugin be able to interact with/change the appearance of the webgui as shown in the concept image?  What would have to be done for that to work?  A third party skin?  But would the 3rd party skin need to have any part of the backend code changed?  Maybe not if all the seach features are coded into the skin.
semel

Post by semel »

If you still consider adding other indexing sites id definitely recommend the  following:
1) www.nzbindex.nl - curently one of the best index sites
2) www.binsearch.info unfortunately they ve dropped retention to 300 days due to insufficient hard disc space
3) www.bintube.com longest retentiong available of all indexing sites

If u for some reasons have to choose just one- stick to nzbindex. Ive made different tests comparing these 3  as of now nzbindex owns them all.
Last edited by semel on January 6th, 2010, 2:26 pm, edited 1 time in total.
rollingeyeball
Release Testers
Release Testers

Post by rollingeyeball »

I'd like to add nzbclub.com to semels incredibly good list. I've come to the same conclusions :D
It's not only retention that plays a large factor, but also the results themselves (of course) and nzbindex gives considerably better results than binsearch.

Not sure on nzbindex vs nzbclub. They both have great retention but I'm not sure how they compare in regards to accurate and complete search results. (And removing junk posts)

I never see NZBclub mentioned anywhere, so it appears to be my secret. Now it's.. not  ;)

Sorry to go a little offtopic here, and maybe a fit too ahead for a concept.
Last edited by rollingeyeball on January 6th, 2010, 5:06 pm, edited 1 time in total.
jp22382
Release Testers
Release Testers

Post by jp22382 »

pair of dimes wrote: Newzbin just added a new API, this is a start http://docs.newzbin.com/index.php/Newzb ... ReportFind
Was just going to post this, great news!
pmow
Release Testers
Release Testers

Post by pmow »

My only complaint with ReportFind is that it only displays reportID, name, and size of the entire release.  Doesn't do languages, which is a big hassle with TV these days (and always with movies).  I'm resorting to scraping for this stuff after the IDs are generated, but I'm rusty on my php and I really don't want to learn python at this point.  This would be great though.
pmow
Release Testers
Release Testers

Post by pmow »

EDIT:

The ReportInfo api just was published, and returns the entire record in XML.  This will be coded into every app very soon methinks.
http://docs.newzbin.com/index.php/Newzb ... ReportInfo
Last edited by pmow on January 18th, 2010, 8:19 pm, edited 1 time in total.