SABcontrol for Android

Got a program that plays well with SABnzbd? Share it here!
ludo

SABcontrol for Android

Post by ludo »

Hi there!

First of all I'd like to congratulate and thank the whole SABnzbd team for this great software! I discovered it 2 weeks ago and it's exactly what I needed.

Just around the same time I received my HTC Magic  phone and started playing around with Android development.
Today (tonight?) I finally released my first free application SABcontrol on the market. Please be kind, it's the first version and I've spent only 1 week on it :)

Here's a list of features:
- Pause / resume queue
- Temporary pause queue
- Pause / resume /rename / delete download
- Add NZB from URL
- Shutdown SABnzbd (>= 0.5.x)
- Manual or automatic refresh (settings)
- Compatibility mode for SABnzbd 0.4.x (limited functionalities)
- localized in 3 languages (settings): english, french and german

I tested it on my HTC Magic (Android 1.6) and also on the virtual devices (2.0 and 2.1). However I can't guarantee you that there will be no problem, as I noticed from my last issue just before releasing the app...  ;D

I'd be glad to get some feedback (you can find my email or site in the market details of the app).

Enjoy the app! :)
Cheers,
Ludo

-----

Changelog:

Version 2.0.2:
- Better troubleshooting: the cause of the connection problem is now displayed (see more details on the website) -> "Server not running or unreachable", "API key missing", "API key incorrect" or "Username and/or password incorrect"
- History: Queued/repairing/extracting/... downloads are no longer marked as failed but display the correct status

Version 2.0.1:
- Fixed HTTPS connection problems (unverified host)
- Fixed empty profiles when app is freshly installed

Version 2.0:
- Multiple server profiles (tap on profile name for quick switch profiles, rename and duplicate only in SABcontrolPlus)
- 3x1 widget (tap on profile name for quick switch profiles)
- Ads for having the new features (multiple servers and widget) for free :) => SABcontrol only, no ads in SABcontrolPlus!
- Removed support for SABnzbd+ 0.4.x (compatibility mode)
- Android 1.5 devices no longer supported
- Added menu to open help on website
- Prompt before shutdown server

Version 1.5.1:
- Fixed a bug with BinsearchDroid downloads not being started when the setting "Auto-Refresh" is enabled.

Version 1.5:
- Temporary pause (menu option)
- Always accept certificate (for SSL, new setting)
- lots of bugfixes for reported crashes/freezes

Version 1.4.1:
- Fixed a weird bug with a crazy intent from the browser opening SABcontrol over and over again with no NZB

Version 1.4:
- Direct download of NZB files from external applications (1 per day)
- Change download category
- View download history

Plus version 1.4:
- Direct download of NZB files from external applications (unlimited)
- Set speed limit
- Change NZB order (move to top, up, down, to bottom)
- Delete download history (all or single items)

Version 1.3:
- added SSL support
- minor fix: queue update problem when the server is not reachable

Version 1.2.1:
- list of downloads is cleared correctly if connection is lost (e.g. after shutting down the server)
- fixed an exception when the queue status (paused/resumed) never changed after the first start of SABnzbd+ 0.4.x preventing SABcontrol to retrieve the information correctly, leading to the status "Server not running or unreachable"

Version 1.2:
- fixed font shrinking problem on HiRes devices (hopefully ;)) by adding large screen support
- fixed OutOfMemoryError when uploading big NZB files from device (> 2 MB)
- fixed problem adding URLs with a space in the path
- generalized error message when adding NZB fails
- file chooser opens in /sdcard instead of /
- now compiled with Android 1.6 SDK but still compatible to Android 1.5 devices

Version  1.1:
- select a category when adding a NZB
- add NZB from file (including filesystem browser)
- add NZB from Newzbin ID (unfortunately partially tested as I don't have a Newzbin account)
Last edited by ludo on February 12th, 2011, 6:01 am, edited 1 time in total.
kidman64

Re: SABcontrol for Android

Post by kidman64 »

Great news, i wanna buy magic as well - great to know that there's an app ready for me:)
ontrose

Post by ontrose »

Tnx for the app!
If i may come with som suggestions regarding an additional features it would be nice if you could set a category, and the grab bookmarks from newzbin also other then that it has what you would need =)
ludo

Post by ludo »

Hi people!

First of all, thanks for your feedback.

I just been published the first update of the app. SABcontrol 1.1 has 3 new features all related to adding NZBs:
- select a category when adding a NZB
- add NZB from file (including filesystem browser)
- add NZB from Newzbin ID (unfortunately partially tested as I don't have a Newzbin account)

Check out my devel blog for a screenshot.

I also added a donate version if you like the app and would like to support the development :)

Enjoy!
Last edited by ludo on February 20th, 2010, 12:30 pm, edited 1 time in total.
uncola

Post by uncola »

couldn't get this to detect my sabnzbd server..  also the text seemed to shrink when I reopened the app.  it looked like it was pretty feature complete so I hope this gets working soon
ludo

Post by ludo »

Hi uncola, you got a PM :)
ontrose

Post by ontrose »

Tnx for the update!

If possible maby you can make it so that you could see your 10 last downloads in a seperate window or something.

And if you need/want a newzbin account just pm me and i´ll send you one =)
ludo

Post by ludo »

Thanks for the offer :) but I finally got a Newzbin account.

I was thinking about implementing the history but this will come later. I'd like to deal with the shrinking problem on the nexus one first and then the SSL issue.
caykroyd

Post by caykroyd »

just downloaded.  I love the idea of download NZB from the sdcard but it forces close on my motorola Droid for one file.  the file happens to have spaces and parentheses.  Then I tried another file without those characters and a warning came up saying "could not load from URL"  But since it was a local NZB on my phone, this is a confusing response.

A request..... Increased font size.  very small on the Droid, maybe add a font setting so it can be customized for individual phones.
ludo

Post by ludo »

Hi caykroyd,

can you please send me an email with both NZB files you tried to add so that I can reproduce the issue? The warning about a URL is a copy/paste issue, I'll fix that :)
I'm currently working (when I find the time) on the font size issue, I hope I'll bring an update soon.
x888x

Post by x888x »

I apologize in advance for my newbness but this has been driving me crazy all day trying to set this up.

Motorola Droid
I can access it if I connect to wifi and set 192.168.0.11(static IP) as server, 8080 as port and put in username/password/API

I have a router xx.xxx.xxx.xxx

How do I access this outside of my network?

Please help so I can get some sleep tonight instead of spending another night scouring the internet.
caykroyd

Post by caykroyd »

x888x,

Make sure you check the old API compatibility checkbox even if you don't use it.  That may work i had the same problem.

host: www.myhost.com
port: xxxx
API key: empty
Username: empty
Password: empty
Old API compatibility: checked

This worked for me.

Ludo,

I'll send you my NZBs that aren't working

Thanks.
x888x

Post by x888x »

Thanks for the suggestion but still not working

I think I am missing a setting in sabnzbd itself since I can't access it from anywhere

what should i have under config>general host? my internal ip or external?
caykroyd

Post by caykroyd »

I have 0.0.0.0

I think you need this to access remotely, but I'm not sure
ludo

Post by ludo »

That's correct, 0.0.0.0 should be set to listen to all IPs, but I think it didn't work correctly on my 0.4.12 server, so there might be an issue with the 0.4.x version.
Anyway I highly recommand using SABnzbd+ 0.5.0. It works like a charm and has a more advanced API so that more functionalities are available in SABcontrol like: pausing/resuming/renaming downloads, shutting down the server, more detailed view (status of the download, ETA).

Now I'd like to clarify the setting "Old API compatibility". This must be only used if you're running a 0.4.x version (I insist on MUST, because otherwise it won't work). If you have the 0.5.0 it should be disabled, otherwise the old API will be used which will result in less functionalities (see above).