newznab - open source usenet indexer

Got a program that plays well with SABnzbd? Share it here!
sab12397

Re: newznab - open source usenet indexer and all round nzbs.org clone

Post by sab12397 »

Just a quick follow up on these questions thanks for the answers so far.
sab12397 wrote: 1. When you run the update_releases script are the regex being applied in the correct order?  If I enable the regex at ID=13 and ID=15 (all newsgroups) all releases seem to be assigned to these two regex - when 13/15 are disabled the releases seem to go to the other regex as expected.  ID's 13 and 15 have an ordinal value in the 50's so I do not understand why these are getting priority.  I thought all the other regex would be tried first and then these two treated as the catch alls?
Still not sure what these disabled ID's (assuming catch alls) are for and whether they are being applied in the correct order :(
The regex file has not been updated recently so I do not know if they are wrong etc.  Probably misunderstanding ordinal value?  If that is the case the existing ordinal values need to be increased and the 13/15 catch all need to be set a low value so these are used last before the other ones?
sab12397 wrote: 2. If I setup my virtual host in Apache to listen to a none standard port as soon as I click on a menu item all URL's on the page loose the port number.  e.g. http://myhost:8084 displays correctly then click on a menu item and the page loads as expected but all the urls on this page do not have a port number http://myhost (no port number) and therefore none of the URL's work.
Still not sure this is my Apache setup causing this.  It seems to only happen after I load the homepage (where the port numbers are listed). A second load of a different page and some links do not have a port number (not all links some of them still have the port number).  As some of the links do have a port number to me indicates that Apache is probably setup correctly.  I have double checked that I have a Listen entry and my vhost is set to the same Listen port in my relevant conf file etc.  The popout menus always have the port number but other links like all the menu containing Logout etc do not.
sab12397 wrote: 3. Nothing is being listed in the Browse sections which display a search screen even though the browse menu items without a search screen are working fine.  I do have all the Lookup services disabled - I am guessing some Browse features rely on these Lookups.  Perhaps if you have the lookup option disabled the full release name could be added to the Title in these sections so you can still see the releases correctly organised and search them (albeit in just the Title field).
I do have Releases what I needed to do was change to Standard UI Categories in my Profile to get these to work as I described.

Thanks
Jidav

Post by Jidav »

Hello. Ive successfully set up newznab on my computer and it has been working great for a couple of weeks now, but I can not get the backfill script to work right. On some groups it will work fine, but on others it gets stuck in an endless loop. After going into the backfill.php script and turning on the debug flags, I get hundreds of "retried # of time(s)" messages in it trying to set the interval. It never gets to the "Getting ###### parts (##### in Queue)" part of the script.

The only way that Ive found around it is that everytime the script gets stuck on a group, I stop the script, set the backfill days of that group to 1, and then rerun it so the script will skip that group and go on.

The update_releases and update_binary script work great.

Does anyone else have this problem? Im about to try to edit the script so that it will bail out of that group and go on if it gets stuck in the loop. Thanks in advance for any help.

It might be better for me to try the irc channel to get some help but I dont have time right now to work through it, so I thought I would post this up real quick and see what responses I get in the mean time.

PS: I cant access the google code page for the site either. I get a error 403: forbidden.
XtCrAvE

Post by XtCrAvE »

newznab wrote:
Can only imagine thats a path issue. If you open a shell, and and type pear, do you get something?
Yes I get this:

Code: Select all

user@webserver:~$ pear
Commands:
build                  Build an Extension From C Source
bundle                 Unpacks a Pecl Package
channel-add            Add a Channel
channel-alias          Specify an alias to a channel name
channel-delete         Remove a Channel From the List
channel-discover       Initialize a Channel from its server
channel-info           Retrieve Information on a Channel
channel-login          Connects and authenticates to remote channel server
channel-logout         Logs out from the remote channel server
channel-update         Update an Existing Channel
clear-cache            Clear Web Services Cache
config-create          Create a Default configuration file
config-get             Show One Setting
config-help            Show Information About Setting
config-set             Change Setting
config-show            Show All Settings
convert                Convert a package.xml 1.0 to package.xml 2.0 format
cvsdiff                Run a "cvs diff" for all files in a package
cvstag                 Set CVS Release Tag
download               Download Package
download-all           Downloads each available package from the default channel
info                   Display information about a package
install                Install Package
list                   List Installed Packages In The Default Channel
list-all               List All Packages
list-channels          List Available Channels
list-files             List Files In Installed Package
list-upgrades          List Available Upgrades
login                  Connects and authenticates to remote server [Deprecated in favor of channel-login]
logout                 Logs out from the remote server [Deprecated in favor of channel-logout]
makerpm                Builds an RPM spec file from a PEAR package
package                Build Package
package-dependencies   Show package dependencies
package-validate       Validate Package Consistency
pickle                 Build PECL Package
remote-info            Information About Remote Packages
remote-list            List Remote Packages
run-scripts            Run Post-Install Scripts bundled with a package
run-tests              Run Regression Tests
search                 Search remote package database
shell-test             Shell Script Test
sign                   Sign a package distribution file
svntag                 Set SVN Release Tag
uninstall              Un-install Package
update-channels        Update the Channel List
upgrade                Upgrade Package
upgrade-all            Upgrade All Packages [Deprecated in favor of calling upgrade with no parameters]
Usage: pear [options] command [command-options] <parameters>
Type "pear help options" to list all options.
Type "pear help shortcuts" to list all command shortcuts.
Type "pear help <command>" to get the help for the specified command.
Ruede

Post by Ruede »

my newznab install doesnt want to fetch more than 5 days of information...
how can i change that?
DarkKnight

Post by DarkKnight »

Nvmd
Last edited by DarkKnight on June 10th, 2011, 10:27 pm, edited 1 time in total.
semel

Re: newznab - open source usenet indexer and all round nzbs.

Post by semel »

i would like to request these changes if they are possible and if you have spare time

1)advanced raw search (check out http://www.mysterbin.com/advsearch?q= )

as of now newznab for obvious reasons cant correctly and fully make releases out of ALL binaries.
many things can be found only via raw search. Unfortunately newznab's raw search pales in comparison with raw search any nzbindex service provides(nzbindex.nl\binsearch\ and mysterbin)
You can check the example from mysterbin.

2) Collections view.

When you browse raw binaries there are LOADS of articles. This + extremely poor search\browsing raw headers capabilities = failure to deliver

Again, check out any nzb index service and ho they properly group articles into collections . Even newsreaders do that nowadays(newsbin pro\usenet explorer\newsleecher etc)

3) Search within archives(raw\collections)

newznab already shows detailed contents of archives which is awesome
The only thing left is to make it able to search within these list of contents\ archives.

Cheers
BBird

Post by BBird »

I successfully installed newznab, but I've an issue at the setup steps.
At the news server setup part I need to use a username and password, I don't have to use a user name and password and can't continue with the setup.
Usenet is covered within my internet connection, I only need to supply the server address and connection port with or without ssl and it works.
Is there a way to setup newznab without user authentication?
Kriss

Post by Kriss »

Anyone has Newznab running with lighttpd?
I managed to install newznab, but the rewrite rules don't work with lighttpd. I've tried the rewrite-rules provided with newznab and the others I found on the web, but none of them are working for me. When I browse to newznab I get this error: ERR_TOO_MANY_REDIRECTS
zaphira

Post by zaphira »

BBird wrote:I successfully installed newznab, but I've an issue at the setup steps.
At the news server setup part I need to use a username and password, I don't have to use a user name and password and can't continue with the setup.
Usenet is covered within my internet connection, I only need to supply the server address and connection port with or without ssl and it works.
Is there a way to setup newznab without user authentication?
BBird, i had the same issue.
if you skip the step by changing the step number in the address from step3.php to step4.php, that ill allow you to continue setup.
After the setup is done edit the www/config.php file, just change "define('NNTP_SERVER', '');" to "define('NNTP_SERVER', 'your.news.server');".
Hope that helps you.
djetch

Post by djetch »

I'm running newznab & SABnzbd on the same Ubuntu box and I'm having some trouble getting the two talking. About the only thing that does work is the RSS feeds, oh, and the downloading an NZB into the watched folder.

The 'send to SABnzbd' does not work at all. Newznab is indicating it has sent it, yet nothing queues in SABnzbd. I have tried to find some sort of log file that might tell me what is happening or not happening, but I'm coming up empty.

Has anyone else had trouble getting the two to talk? Also I should probably mention that I don't think SickBeard is having much luck using my newznab server (again both are on the same machine).
newznab

Post by newznab »

im guessing your sab is visible to your newznab.

is your sab running under https? only there was a bug which is now fixed for that. also just double check the sab url is exactly right, no trailing spaces etc. its certainly working fine for most people.
newznab

Post by newznab »

zaphira wrote: BBird, i had the same issue.
if you skip the step by changing the step number in the address from step3.php to step4.php, that ill allow you to continue setup.
After the setup is done edit the www/config.php file, just change "define('NNTP_SERVER', '');" to "define('NNTP_SERVER', 'your.news.server');".
Hope that helps you.
This is now fixed, blank username/pass can be entered during installation.
opentoe

Post by opentoe »

I have memory set at 256MB already and it is still giving me an error. I refuse to enter more, no script should ever use that much at all. What is the solution, anyone??

Fatal error: Allowed memory size of 67108864 bytes exhausted (tried to allocate 77 bytes)
tssgery

Post by tssgery »

djetch wrote:I'm running newznab & SABnzbd on the same Ubuntu box and I'm having some trouble getting the two talking. About the only thing that does work is the RSS feeds, oh, and the downloading an NZB into the watched folder.

The 'send to SABnzbd' does not work at all. Newznab is indicating it has sent it, yet nothing queues in SABnzbd. I have tried to find some sort of log file that might tell me what is happening or not happening, but I'm coming up empty.

Has anyone else had trouble getting the two to talk? Also I should probably mention that I don't think SickBeard is having much luck using my newznab server (again both are on the same machine).
For anyone else that my be experiencing this, I have found that the SABnzbd as defined in newznab needs to end in a forward slash. As an example, "http://myhost:8080" does not work but "http://myhost:8080/" does work.
semel

Post by semel »

is it still being developed? the plus version(donation) was updated several months ago..

i wish there were several features implemented