LazyLibrarian: Automate your ebook/author collection

Got a program that plays well with SABnzbd? Share it here!
front243

Re: LazyLibrarian: Automate your ebook/author collection

Post by front243 »

Via Google I found this :

https://github.com/Falklian/LazyLibrarian

Can anybody tell me if this is the new official source of it or if its an unofficial mirror?

It was last updated less than a week ago today. Is it any of you updating this?
Vastlee

Post by Vastlee »

Is this project dead? Link doesn't work. I want my LazyLibrarian! Great concept
keim

Post by keim »

found https://github.com/itsmegb/LazyLibrarian which seems it may be the new official repository

last commit seems to be 3 months ago tho...and that was the readme about it changing over to itsmegb...

would be really nice to get this project more up to speed, considering trying to add in a few features to it if itsmegb does actually still check it out
jaearess

Post by jaearess »

I've contacted itsmegb to see if he's still planning on maintaining the project. Depending on what he says (if anything), I'd definitely like to pick up the project, though if there's someone else who'd rather maintain it, it wouldn't hurt my feelings. I'd be happy to work with anyone else interested in the project.

I haven't done any development with the libraries Lazy Librarian uses (CherryPy, Cheetah, etc.), but I've been a Python web developer professionally for the last four years or so (and an amateur for several years before that), so I think I can probably figure it out.

I'll post here if I get a reply.
Wimma

Post by Wimma »

Any luck jaeress? You sound like you have the skills to be able to contribute to this, and it sounds like a great app to have!
Vastlee

Post by Vastlee »

Wimma wrote:Any luck jaeress? You sound like you have the skills to be able to contribute to this, and it sounds like a great app to have!
Yes please!
jaearess

Post by jaearess »

I haven't received any reply yet. At this point, I'm going to move forward with the assumption that either I won't get one and/or that itsmegb doesn't want to maintain the project anymore.

I've been looking through the code, and I think before I add any new features/fix any bugs, I'm going to make some low-level changes to the project. I don't think anyone necessarily wants all of the technical detail, but basically the code is in a very ad-hoc state that makes it much more difficult to continue development than it needs to be. (This isn't an attack against the original coder--he inherited it from the project he originally based LazyLibrarian on, and it's easy to think that this is just the way code is "supposed" to be if you haven't encountered another way. And, in any case, it's not like it's terrible or anything, just not what I'd like to see in a code base I'm working on.)

I'm going to be putting in sometime over the weekend to see how much I can get done. Once I've got the code in a better shape, I'll put up a repository and probably start a new thread so people can find the latest code at the beginning of the thread instead of at the end, etc.
Wimma

Post by Wimma »

That sounds great jaearess, thanks for looking in to it.
I'm sure there'd be no complaints against a new maintainer wanting to massage the code to their liking so they can better support it.
I'm useless for coding, but happy to help out with some testing if required.
Cheers, and thanks again.
spalmisano

Post by spalmisano »

I also have an install of the latest git repository of LL, and if you need any testing done, post it here and you'll have at least a few of us guinea pigs. :)
jaearess

Post by jaearess »

itsmegb did get back to me this morning. Turns out he has been working on the project, though he hasn't pushed his changes to Github recently.

From the sounds of it, most of his changes are very similar to the ones I was going to make, so they probably aren't going to be user-visible changes.

I'm still planning with spending sometime this weekend getting up to speed with the new code. Since itsmegb has likely made a good chunk of the changes I was planning to make anyway, I might have time to start looking into fixing bugs, etc. I still plan on becoming active in development of LL.

Just wanted to give interested parties an update :)
Wimma

Post by Wimma »

Any progress on this? Version worth testing?
Waiting patiently...
:D
Tkosh

Post by Tkosh »

jaearess wrote:itsmegb did get back to me this morning. Turns out he has been working on the project, though he hasn't pushed his changes to Github recently.

From the sounds of it, most of his changes are very similar to the ones I was going to make, so they probably aren't going to be user-visible changes.

I'm still planning with spending sometime this weekend getting up to speed with the new code. Since itsmegb has likely made a good chunk of the changes I was planning to make anyway, I might have time to start looking into fixing bugs, etc. I still plan on becoming active in development of LL.

Just wanted to give interested parties an update :)

Awsome. Looking forward to helping test if needed.
docthomas

Post by docthomas »

Will the Github location stay the same?
Thanks for the effort to continue work on this great app!
keim

Post by keim »

It would be nice if he would push his changes the code base is quickly coming up on a year and its hard to try to help out if the code base never gets updated that we can see

I am really tempted to try and add options like epub/mobi and quality like retail to the search string as an option but would be good to see the new code first...
Tkosh

Post by Tkosh »

Top list for improvements for me.

Code cleanup - I can't run as daemon now
Pick only formats/quality you want to download
Able to choose author,book title or subject to be download automatically
Mobile device skin for web
Calibre integration