Bitcoin Donations

Want something added? Ask for it here.
blindpet

Bitcoin Donations

Post by blindpet »

I'd like to donate using Bitcoin, could you provide a wallet and QR code somewhere on the main page?
shypike
Administrator
Administrator

Re: Bitcoin Donations

Post by shypike »

We have no experience with Bitcoin at all.
Is it a lot of work to setup?
blindpet

Post by blindpet »

https://blockchain.info/ is what I use and it was very easy. They provide a QR code as well in your account. They have nice Apps as well for making it easy to check your account. Once you install the app you just scan a pairing code and it automagically adds your account to the app.
an3k

Post by an3k »

I'm using Bitcoins since 2010 and you really should NOT use a web wallet (because your money is stored on the servers of a "company"). We already had a huge scam in the past. A web wallet provider went into business, people started using it and after a while the people behind just stole all the bitcoins and left.

If you want a very simple but secure system just get the Bitcoin Core at https://bitcoin.org/en/download - it is also the official wallet. Only downside is that you first have to synchronize to the network and that takes some days. A plus is that your wallet is very secure because you can protect it with a password and additionally encrypt it and it's just one file you have to backup.
ALbino

Post by ALbino »

If you're not trying to stay anonymous then Coinbase is likely a very safe option. It's got a lot of Silicon Valley investors and is kind of like the PayPal for Bitcoin at the moment. Since all you're doing is collecting donations I don't think giving them your info should be an ethical problem. You can always transfer money out of Coinbase to your own personal wallet (like an3k said) to do with as you please more anonymously.