Attn: Virgin Media Broadband Users - Use port 443 + SSL

Get help with all aspects of SABnzbd
Forum rules
Help us help you:
  • Are you using the latest stable version of SABnzbd? Downloads page.
  • Tell us what system you run SABnzbd on.
  • Adhere to the forum rules.
  • Do you experience problems during downloading?
    Check your connection in Status and Interface settings window.
    Use Test Server in Config > Servers.
    We will probably ask you to do a test using only basic settings.
  • Do you experience problems during repair or unpacking?
    Enable +Debug logging in the Status and Interface settings window and share the relevant parts of the log here using [ code ] sections.
haelen

Re: Attn: Virgin Media Broadband Users - Use port 443 + SSL

Post by haelen »

I'm using Port 119 on the Virgin server and get 2mb speed. I have a 60Meg package with them.

Also, if I do happen to try SSL and 443, what do I use as username and Password?
Eejit

Post by Eejit »

Virgins servers don't support SSL, so you're stuck with 119 if you use them. Premium servers such as Astraweb & Giganews offer the SSL on 443.
If you stay with Virgin, then schedule your downloads outside the throttling period.
Eejit - The name say's it all !!
haelen

Post by haelen »

Thanks Eejit (Looks like I've been one!) May try Giganews. What's newshosting.com like?

Cheers.
Eejit

Post by Eejit »

No idea about newshosting. I use Astraweb.
Check out these links:-
Astraweb / Giganews / Supernews.
haelen

Post by haelen »

Cheers. :)
saboofti

Post by saboofti »

Hello all,

Was wondering if someone could share some light.

I do not seem to be maxing out my internet speed for downloading via Sabnzbd

Using my Bitorrent client I can achieve speeds in excess of >12MB per sec.

However, using Sabnzbd with Usenetserver (20 connections) - Port 443 with SSL, it maxes out at around 8.8MB per sec.

Anyone have any ideas?

thanks
Eejit

Post by Eejit »

@saboofti,
Sorry, just seen this. Don't use the full 20 connections. More isn't better. I have 120mb connection with Virgin and max out with 14 connections, 7 for the EU server and 7 for the US
sixxaxxis

Post by sixxaxxis »

Hey all. I'm not a virgin user. I use Cox Communications. As of yesterday I have been experiencing extremely slow dl speeds. I've been using sab for over a year. Haven't changed one thing. Using Astra/Sab combo. Just checked. Account still active. Money is taken out of Paypal every month. Please Help. I reset, uninstalled, changed ssl, switched port, reset router/modem, even waited a day. Still happening. Thanks for any info.
sixxaxxis

Post by sixxaxxis »

Image This is my speedtest results. Just now taken. I'm downloading 74kbs. Horrible. I've done everything on my end. I'm used to 10mbs consistently. Someone please help. This doesn't seem to be just a virgin issue. Thank you.
crispyal

Post by crispyal »

sixxaxxis wrote:Image This is my speedtest results. Just now taken. I'm downloading 74kbs. Horrible. I've done everything on my end. I'm used to 10mbs consistently. Someone please help. This doesn't seem to be just a virgin issue. Thank you.
I'm with Virgin, also not changed a thing and have seen my speeds drop off a cliff over the weekend. Used to also seeing full line speed from astraweb, the same speeds are achieved through a different sab install on my laptop.

I've switched ports from 443 to 563 and it makes little / no difference - the max speed I'm currently getting is 1mb/s when I'm used to 11mb/s it feels SLOW.
fhwong

Post by fhwong »

Yup exactly the same thing here.

I was on SSL 443 - tried the 563 port and it was the same.

Are virgin media now throttling the SSL ports as well?

I was getting around 11mb now down to around 450kb.
fenlander

Post by fenlander »

This thread is out of date. VM no longer allow SSL connections on any of the usual ports but 119 works well without SSL. VM no longer seem to cap either speed or data but they are progressively removing binary newsgroups from their service. At present, they are not providing sufficient coverage to be used as a sole source for Usenet but are still useful in conjunction with a block account or two.

VM have recently discontinued provision of webspace and seem to be intent on cutting back on all 'peripheral' areas of activity. Time to get an unlimited account elsewhere - have you tried frugalusenet? $4.99 pcm if you can live with 600 days retention.
inpheaux
Administrator
Administrator

Post by inpheaux »

fenlander wrote:This thread is out of date. VM no longer allow SSL connections on any of the usual ports but 119 works well without SSL. VM no longer seem to cap either speed or data but they are progressively removing binary newsgroups from their service. At present, they are not providing sufficient coverage to be used as a sole source for Usenet but are still useful in conjunction with a block account or two.

VM have recently discontinued provision of webspace and seem to be intent on cutting back on all 'peripheral' areas of activity. Time to get an unlimited account elsewhere - have you tried frugalusenet? $4.99 pcm if you can live with 600 days retention.
Ok, can anyone else confirm this? If so, I'll kill the thread.