Restarting Job

Get help with all aspects of SABnzbd
Forum rules
Help us help you:
  • Are you using the latest stable version of SABnzbd? Downloads page.
  • Tell us what system you run SABnzbd on.
  • Adhere to the forum rules.
  • Do you experience problems during downloading?
    Check your connection in Status and Interface settings window.
    Use Test Server in Config > Servers.
    We will probably ask you to do a test using only basic settings.
  • Do you experience problems during repair or unpacking?
    Enable +Debug logging in the Status and Interface settings window and share the relevant parts of the log here using [ code ] sections.
Taomyn

Restarting Job

Post by Taomyn »

Is there a way to restart a job rather than just retrying it?

I've had a few jobs that failed and a retry won't work but I find that sometimes restarting it by deleting then re-adding the same NZB file does complete. A way to simply "delete and restart" a job would be handy in these cases. I'm using the Glitter theme.
shypike
Administrator
Administrator

Re: Restarting Job

Post by shypike »

Currently there isn't.
Maybe in a later release.
Taomyn

Post by Taomyn »

Ok, thanks
Taomyn

Post by Taomyn »

Any further thoughts on adding this soon? I could have done with it this week with quite a few failed downloads I submitted not being fully available on my provider's servers, but were fine later on.
ALbino

Post by ALbino »

safihre
Administrator
Administrator

Post by safihre »

Yes, that should solve your issues, shouldn't it?
Just set a delay of about 60 min and surely all articles should be present on your newsserver!
If you like our support, check our special newsserver deal or donate at: https://sabnzbd.org/donate
Taomyn

Post by Taomyn »

ALbino wrote:Set a propagation delay:

https://sabnzbd.org/wiki/configuration/1.1/switches
safihre wrote:Yes, that should solve your issues, shouldn't it?
Just set a delay of about 60 min and surely all articles should be present on your newsserver!
Thanks to both of you it's nice to know that this exists as an option with in sabznbd, but I already have a delay of 60min at the indexer site and this still happens. It's been a balancing act between too low a delay and getting many more of these unready downloads, or too great a delay and the releases being corrupted by DMCA takedowns. Plus it's not just releases not being fully available that causes these failures, simple network issues also, so a simple option to restart in sabznbd would be welcome in my opinion.
Howitzer

Post by Howitzer »

I have increased my propagation time and that helps but it doesn't really solve the issue. If deleting the previous job and restarting it using the same NZB ALWAYS works (which is my experience on all same-day nzb's) then I would suggest there are two better solutions that are possible:

First choice: An option to "retry download" the job that does more than the current option, it would actually retry to download the missing pieces that might not have fully propagated when the job first ran, it would add to what has already downloaded and complete the job, or it might fail again if the pieces still cannot be found.

Second choice: An option to "restart" which just automates the deletion of the old job and the restart of the process using the same NZB file. While this would still be a huge waste of bandwidth re-downloading articles that were successful on the first try, at least it would provide the capability to fix the failing job using the web/remote interface.
Taomyn

Post by Taomyn »

Any chance of this making it into the next release v1.2.0?
shypike
Administrator
Administrator

Post by shypike »

We could create a scheduler event that will restart failed jobs.
There are limits to retrying. Adding articles to a partial file is not doable, due to a fundamental error in the design of NZB files.
Taomyn

Post by Taomyn »

shypike wrote:We could create a scheduler event that will restart failed jobs.
There are limits to retrying. Adding articles to a partial file is not doable, due to a fundamental error in the design of NZB files.
Wouldn't a restart simply delete all the downloaded files, except the original nzb, then start again? It's not a retry that I would like, but a complete restart of the task.
shypike
Administrator
Administrator

Post by shypike »

Normally, already present files are skipped.
You're right, erasing existing ones can be a solution for this case.
We'll see what we can do.
Taomyn

Post by Taomyn »

Will this make v2? I haven't been able to get v2 installed to see if it's there but I didn't see it mentioned in the change log which was disappointing.
safihre
Administrator
Administrator

Post by safihre »

Sorry, don't have the time for it... Could use some coding help for many of the open feature requests :/
If you like our support, check our special newsserver deal or donate at: https://sabnzbd.org/donate