Installed WindowsV 1.2.3 - Now Errors on Start

Get help with all aspects of SABnzbd
Forum rules
Help us help you:
  • Are you using the latest stable version of SABnzbd? Downloads page.
  • Tell us what system you run SABnzbd on.
  • Adhere to the forum rules.
  • Do you experience problems during downloading?
    Check your connection in Status and Interface settings window.
    Use Test Server in Config > Servers.
    We will probably ask you to do a test using only basic settings.
  • Do you experience problems during repair or unpacking?
    Enable +Debug logging in the Status and Interface settings window and share the relevant parts of the log here using [ code ] sections.
MacDaddy77

Installed WindowsV 1.2.3 - Now Errors on Start

Post by MacDaddy77 »

I've been using sabnzbd since beta and it has been very stable, installed 1.2.3 tonight and get a dialog box at strt up "Errors Occured".

Log says:

Traceback (most recent call last):
File "SABnzbd.py", line 84, in <module>
File "sabnzbd\__init__.pyo", line 104, in <module>
File "sabnzbd\nzbqueue.pyo", line 43, in <module>
File "sabnzbd\downloader.pyo", line 42, in <module>
File "sabnzbd\utils\happyeyeballs.pyo", line 23, in <module>
File "ssl.pyo", line 98, in <module>
File "_ssl.pyo", line 12, in <module>
File "_ssl.pyo", line 10, in __load
ImportError: DLL load failed: The specified module could not be found.

Tried going back to last running version 1.2.2 but get same error. Where do I start to correct?

Thanks for reading/responding
safihre
Administrator
Administrator

Re: Installed WindowsV 1.2.3 - Now Errors on Start

Post by safihre »

Can you try to completly remove all SAB program files? (no need to remove settings)
So uninstall, and then verify that the directory is gone.

Then try re-installing.
If you like our support, check our special newsserver deal or donate at: https://sabnzbd.org/donate
MacDaddy77

Post by MacDaddy77 »

Thank you for your response. I did uninstall using included "Uninstall.exe" which ran successfully, which deleted files and folders. Restarted and downloaded "SABnzbd-1.2.3-win32-setup.exe" again which ran successfully. Still get same error
safihre
Administrator
Administrator

Post by safihre »

Can you download the Standalone version from the downloads page and try that one? Can unpack it anywhere.
If that one still fails you should check maybe your virusscanner.
If you like our support, check our special newsserver deal or donate at: https://sabnzbd.org/donate
iisdev

Post by iisdev »

I'm also getting the same error upon startup under Windows. I upgraded from 1.2.2 to 1.2.3 (and when that didn't work) tried using 1.2.3 as a new installation (standalone version). The same dialog error occurred opened with both.

When I revert back to 1.2.2 SABnzb starts correctly again.
safihre
Administrator
Administrator

Post by safihre »

What Windows version are you on?
And can you try SABnzbd 2.0.0 (standalone) just to verify?
groucholand

Post by groucholand »

I am running Server 2008 (32bit) just started happening to me on version 1.2.3 as well.
groucholand

Post by groucholand »

Installing 1.2.0 fixed the startup issue for me.
iisdev

Post by iisdev »

safihre wrote:What Windows version are you on?
And can you try SABnzbd 2.0.0 (standalone) just to verify?
^ Also using WIndows Server (64-bit).

2.0.0 Beta1 produced the same error:
Traceback (most recent call last):
File "SABnzbd.py", line 84, in <module>
File "sabnzbd\__init__.pyo", line 82, in <module>
File "ssl.pyo", line 98, in <module>
File "_ssl.pyo", line 12, in <module>
File "_ssl.pyo", line 10, in __load
ImportError: DLL load failed: The specified module could not be found.
Have any compiler changes been made since 1.2.2 (last known working version)? ((specifically related to lib\CRYPT32.dll which doesn't appear to be present before))

(edits)
My guess is the CRYPT32.dll is the culprit. It's probably using a CRT that we don't have installed (or isn't included with the standalone) or isn't compatible with our OS.

SABnzbd is still using Python 2 no? That was built against the C++ 9.0 compiler (Visual Studio 2008 iirc) CRYPT32.dll was probably built using one of the newer versions. I searched on the SABnzbd repository for 'CRYPT32' but didn't find anything. Can you give us more information on where it came from and what it replaced from 1.2.2?

see also: www microsoft com/download/details.aspx?id=44266 (Windows Python 2.7 compatible compiler)

possible workaround: removing CRYPT32.dll from the lib folder forces SABnzbd to use the local OS copy of the dll. However, I'm not sure if that will break functionality or not. Need more info on why the dll was included..
safihre
Administrator
Administrator

Post by safihre »

Thing is, the build machine has been the same for every 1.2.x release. It's a VM that doesn't get any updates, so I have no clue how the releases possibly could be different.

The DLL is automatically included upon building because it's required by the cryptography module.
All other Windows versions don't seem to have a problem with it. So especially with the build machine being identical but the other poster saying that downgrading doesn't work, I wonder if it's something on your local machines that changed?

Will see what the removal of crypt changes.
safihre
Administrator
Administrator

Post by safihre »

Very strange: indeed this Crypto DLL is not present in 1.2.0...
What happens on your systems if you just delete that file from the 1.2.3 Lib folder?
When I do that on my Win10x64 machine, SAB still runs fine..
iisdev

Post by iisdev »

safihre wrote:Thing is, the build machine has been the same for every 1.2.x release. It's a VM that doesn't get any updates, so I have no clue how the releases possibly could be different.

The DLL is automatically included upon building because it's required by the cryptography module.
All other Windows versions don't seem to have a problem with it. So especially with the build machine being identical but the other poster saying that downgrading doesn't work, I wonder if it's something on your local machines that changed?
If the building/packaging script pulls the dependencies from the %SystemRoot% folder it makes sense that it might fail when run on an operating system that pre-dates the VM. In that regard it may help to know the OS version of the build machine and exactly what CRTs are installed on it. Another idea is to check how the modules were installed? Pre-compiled via Pip (or similar) or built-from scratch?

In any case - do you foresee any issues with SABnzbd running against our local OS copies of the dll instead?

Yes, removing the dll allows 1.2.3 to start normally (although I'm still not sure if that affects functionality). The dll wasn't present in any of the previous 1.2.x standalone releases (SABnzbd-1.2.x-win32-bin.zip) so I never encountered the problem until recently.
safihre
Administrator
Administrator

Post by safihre »

I found the source to be a different version of the cryptography package. The newer ones somehow force the linking of this dll. Will experiment today to see effect or deleting that file.
The build machine is Win7 32bit for the 1.2.x series and Win10 64bit for the 2.0.0 series.

The functionality would be Self signed certificates.
Could you test this for me:
Enable https on the General page of the Config.
It will restart sabnzbd.
Now again on the general page of the Config, click Advanced and click the refresh icon next to the certificate. It will regenerate self signed certificates.
If it restarts fine without warnings after this, functionality should be fine.

Another test: download a job with encryption and have Detect encrypted files turned on. It requires cryptography to detect those. If it detects the encrypted job, it is working.

Thanks!
iisdev

Post by iisdev »

safihre wrote:Could you test this for me:
Enable https on the General page of the Config.
It will restart sabnzbd.
Now again on the general page of the Config, click Advanced and click the refresh icon next to the certificate. It will regenerate self signed certificates.
If it restarts fine without warnings after this, functionality should be fine..
Yeah, the self signed certificates broke:
WARNING Disabled HTTPS because of missing CERT and KEY files
ERROR Error creating SSL key and certificate
I was looking through their docs:
cryptography io/en/latest/installation/

and they state they only test the package on Windows Server 2012 and that the binaries are statically linked.. That could very well be the reason why it's failing on earlier versions.
safihre
Administrator
Administrator

Post by safihre »

Can you maybe try SABnzbd 2.0.0RC1, just released it today with updated build process to not rely on the platform DLL's.