"Corrupt RAR file" almost always these days

Get help with all aspects of SABnzbd
Forum rules
Help us help you:
  • Are you using the latest stable version of SABnzbd? Downloads page.
  • Tell us what system you run SABnzbd on.
  • Adhere to the forum rules.
  • Do you experience problems during downloading?
    Check your connection in Status and Interface settings window.
    Use Test Server in Config > Servers.
    We will probably ask you to do a test using only basic settings.
  • Do you experience problems during repair or unpacking?
    Enable +Debug logging in the Status and Interface settings window and share the relevant parts of the log here using [ code ] sections.
urbanriot

"Corrupt RAR file" almost always these days

Post by urbanriot »

I would say that 2/3 of my extractions are 'corrupt RAR file' and the issue is basically one or two RAR files are a bit smaller than they should be. This was once in a blue moon maybe a year or two ago but with the last few versions in the 2.x series of Sabnzbd, it's happening almost all the time.

If I download the missing rar file by itself I can extract the full RAR set.

The system that's hosting Sabnzbd is a dual Xeon server with piles of ECC RAM with a RAID6 drive set that reports no errors, I feel fairly certain this isn't a hardware issue.

Does anyone have any advice?
safihre
Administrator
Administrator

Re: "Corrupt RAR file" almost always these days

Post by safihre »

Is any verification and repair happening?
Because it sounds like you have missing pieces that should be repaired.
Unless you are downloading from a source that provides NZBs without par2?

You can enable Debug logging in the Status window and then you can see in the logging what happend with the verification and repair.
If you like our support, check our special newsserver deal or donate at: https://sabnzbd.org/donate
urbanriot

Post by urbanriot »

I checked the Latest Warnings tab in Status and I see piles and piles of these errors:

Code: Select all

PAR2 received incorrect options, check your Config->Switches settings
There's so many of these errors! Now I'm starting to think the hundreds and hundreds of corrupt RAR's I downloaded may not have been repaired due to a... bad switch for unpar?

I found the following Extra PAR2 Parameters: -t+

I don't remember ever setting that... oh man, that's probably been in there forever and piles and piles of downloads haven't completed.
safihre
Administrator
Administrator

Post by safihre »

We switched from par2cmdline to Multipar (much faster), so old parameters didn't work anymore. That's why we made the warning ;)

In retrospect we should have removed all custom par2 parameters during the upgrade, but we forgot..
If you like our support, check our special newsserver deal or donate at: https://sabnzbd.org/donate
urbanriot

Post by urbanriot »

How long ago did that happen? I'm wondering if I should go back and retry every single download that didn't complete in what feels like forever...
safihre
Administrator
Administrator

Post by safihre »

2.2.0 Multipar came, so 2 months ago.
But you probably also have 'Post-process only verified jobs' turned off, otherwise all these jobs would have shown in your history with this error and SAB would not have tried to unpack.
thorrrr

Post by thorrrr »

HI Guys
I have just noticed over past 2 days 95 % my downloads are Corrupt RAR nothing has changed for years on my end?
I do not tinker or mess if things are running fine.
I am a newbie in relation to the internal settings so would really appreciate how i can track down what is causing it please.
safihre
Administrator
Administrator

Post by safihre »

So it seems also in your case repair is not working.
Have you checked the same thing as the other user here, do you have any Extra par2 parameters set?

Please enable +Debug logging in the Status Window and then look in the logs after a failed download, what does it say at "Multipar output was" or "PAR2 output was"?
thorrrr

Post by thorrrr »

safihre
Administrator
Administrator

Post by safihre »

Can you check the logs like I suggested? Maybe they provide a clue :)
douggw

Post by douggw »

I have also started in the past month to get these errors. Happens on new files - not older ones. I either get the Corrupt RAR, or Repair Failed, not enough blocks, or Aborted, cannot be completed - sabnzbd /not-complete. I haven't changed any of my settings, things have been working so good for over a year and now this. I've updated to latest version of both SAB and SickRage..on Windows 10, using newsdemon.
Just very strange.
safihre
Administrator
Administrator

Post by safihre »

Can you please follow the instructions we have written here?
Enable Debug logging and then look at the logs. Is the repair being started?
Have you installed 2.3.1?
douggw

Post by douggw »

I didn't notice any rar errors in the logs. I've put the log on Pastebin - pastebin. com/VCjqP3yB

I do continually get errors however regarding "Unable to find....." a certain rar file. This error keeps coming up as well and it's always the same file.

I've uploaded a screenshot here: docs. google. com/document/d/1I7JA6lKA8s0YTYaftLJPGdpSJ0kFuOLNo1_1tX6eERY/edit?usp=sharing

Thanks in advance for any help. This just started happening about a month or so ago, and seems to be happening more and more.

I am running 2.3.1 on Windows 10.
safihre
Administrator
Administrator

Post by safihre »

Wow there's an error happening that I have never seen before, Multipar repairs the file but then realizes afterwards that the repair failed.
Even though more than enough blocks are available.
I will have to ask the creator of Multipar what is going on here. Maybe you could send me the NZB at [email protected]?
The Unable to find file is also strange. Did you maybe have Debug logging enabled when they happen? In that case, also send me the logs via email and I can try to see what is happening!
safihre
Administrator
Administrator

Post by safihre »

I found the download myself and tested it. It seems to be something wrong with the original par2.
There is something wrong with the par2 files since they also fail using NZBGet/Multipar/par2cmdline/par2tbb, but I am not sure what. I will enquire with the ParPar project, since the pars were created using ParPar.