Incorrect free space

Get help with all aspects of SABnzbd
Forum rules
Help us help you:
  • Are you using the latest stable version of SABnzbd? Downloads page.
  • Tell us what system you run SABnzbd on.
  • Adhere to the forum rules.
  • Do you experience problems during downloading?
    Check your connection in Status and Interface settings window.
    Use Test Server in Config > Servers.
    We will probably ask you to do a test using only basic settings.
  • Do you experience problems during repair or unpacking?
    Enable +Debug logging in the Status and Interface settings window and share the relevant parts of the log here using [ code ] sections.
maczones

Re: Incorrect free space

Post by maczones »

Same problem here. Using Mac with OS 10.9.5 so it has not been updated for a very long time. Started noticing this problem after updating sabnzbd from version 2.0 on up. It appears to me this is an sabnzbd issue in how it reads the resident's drive free space allocations. What I did notice is if I am downloading a file and I select the pull down menu to change the +Delete to Download, the free space stated on sabnzbd screen will increase in free space size but still not match exactly what the hard drive free space is. In my case there is an 11GB difference,
safihre
Administrator
Administrator

Post by safihre »

Unfortunately we have no idea what is going wrong.
We just call the underlying platform functions that are available to us in Python, as you can see from the rest of this forum post there seems to be going something wrong with how macOS gives us this information. The commands we used haven't changed since SABnzbd 0.6 or even older.
If you like our support, check our special newsserver deal or donate at: https://sabnzbd.org/donate
jafalex

Post by jafalex »

Captivating thread.

Just here to say I'm having the same issue. Mac Mini on MacOS HighSierra 10.13.5, Synology DSM 6.1 (2x 4Tb).

No problem when NAS is mounted via AFP but when using SMB I get ~500gb avail in SAB, but dh -f and other scripts made available in this thread report the correct 4Tb avail.

I also have 2 internal drives, which SAB can fetch the correct free space when used for the incomplete folder.

I'm happy to lodge something with Apple if there's even a place for this type of issues?
5stringdeath

Post by 5stringdeath »

Still happening for me, OSX 10.14.3, sab directory is on the Mac's hard drive so no NAS paths or anything. There is a difference of about 500GB :-)
sander
Release Testers
Release Testers

Post by sander »

5stringdeath wrote: January 28th, 2019, 9:53 am Still happening for me, OSX 10.14.3, sab directory is on the Mac's hard drive so no NAS paths or anything. There is a difference of about 500GB :-)
So ... no NAS at all? Everything local on your Mac? And incorrect space reported? My best guess: you have different partitions, and SAB and you are looking at different partitions.

What is the full output of "df -h" on your Mac?

So

Code: Select all

df -h
Post full output here.
5stringdeath

Post by 5stringdeath »

Never mind sab is reporting what the system is reporting which is wrong .. and I have to figure out :-)

cheers

nm - not the right forum for that question
ants000

Post by ants000 »

Well this has been happening to me since the APFS (Apple File System) update on my 2013 iMac with a 3TB Fusion Drive running the latest version of macOS Mojave. Not sure when that was. Think it was last year some time. It's only really become a problem now for me.

As SABNZBD+ only shows 86.5GB available when I have just deleted a heap of stuff and actually have 857.47GB available.

I'm still deleting files on my iMac but SABNZBD+ still doesn't update the free space remaining. I'm not solely blaming SABNZBD+ because the exact same free space remaining is displaying on Sonarr and Radarr.

I'm wondering why this is. I suspect it has something to do with the upgrade to the APFS file system system wide as well as the fact I have a Fusion Drive.

Would appreciate help as I don't know what is going to happen once that 86.5GB figure keeps going down towards zero.

Reading through this forum thread I happened upon a problem that had been plaguing me for ages. When I initially had the problem I used Google Search and couldn't turn up much useful info. But now I'm using DuckDuckGo the first result when I searched for "incorrect free space mac sabnzbd" was this thread. Very useful. But now having read a few of these pages I'm worried there is no solution.

Wonder if macOS Catalina will have a fix for this. Seems like a major bug.
5stringdeath

Post by 5stringdeath »

My problem was my fusion drive. I broke it apart and put a new SSD in my Mini, kept the 1TB spinner for storage, and haven't had a problem since.

To be clear, I was also having other weird disk/finder behaviors as well. But in general I think apples fusion implementation is crap, and the SSD I pulled out of there was garbage too.
sander
Release Testers
Release Testers

Post by sander »

ants000 wrote: June 9th, 2019, 12:22 pm Well this has been happening to me since the APFS (Apple File System) update on my 2013 iMac with a 3TB Fusion Drive running the latest version of macOS
From wikipedia:
Fusion Drive is Apple Inc.'s name for its implementation of a hybrid drive. Apple's implementation combines a hard disk drive with a NAND flash storage and presents it as a single Core Storage managed logical volume with the space of both drives combined
So is this bug only with Fusion Drive (and APFS )? Not with normal drives?
ants000 wrote: June 9th, 2019, 12:22 pm As SABNZBD+ only shows 86.5GB available when I have just deleted a heap of stuff and actually have 857.47GB available.
SABnzbd only reports what the OS (So MacOS) is telling as free space.

So ... is there any command line command on MacOS that will report the correct space? Like

dir
or

ls
or ...

But ... in 2017 we clearly showed it's a bug in MacOS. Still not solved. And no workaround.
Puzzled

Post by Puzzled »

I googled a little, and may have found some clues. It seems Mac statvfs uses unsigned int for free blocks, which can be too little: https://github.com/osxfuse/osxfuse/issues/396

In some cases users may be confused because some disk programs subtract space used for Time Machine backups when showing free space: https://unix.stackexchange.com/question ... disk-space
Puzzled

Post by Puzzled »

Regarding this issue I think you have to use df to get the correct free disk size. Judging from Google results the output is very similar to GNU/Linux.
arcticwolfx

Post by arcticwolfx »

Realizing this thread is old, the issue is still not solved.

I have the same problem on a Windows pc with an NVMe SSD. Windows says it has 250GB of free space, sabnzbd says it's 30GB.

The main problem is that sab pauses downloads when it thinks the drive is full.

On a sidenote, I suspect the SSD has some hardware issues for several reasons, which may contribute to this problem arising. Non the less, I can put data on it by any other method than sab, which does mean it's a sab specific problem. Possible to create an option to ignore available disk space?