NZB Missing Articles - Newbie Question

Get help with all aspects of SABnzbd
Forum rules
Help us help you:
  • Are you using the latest stable version of SABnzbd? Downloads page.
  • Tell us what system you run SABnzbd on.
  • Adhere to the forum rules.
  • Do you experience problems during downloading?
    Check your connection in Status and Interface settings window.
    Use Test Server in Config > Servers.
    We will probably ask you to do a test using only basic settings.
  • Do you experience problems during repair or unpacking?
    Enable +Debug logging in the Status and Interface settings window and share the relevant parts of the log here using [ code ] sections.
rosboy

NZB Missing Articles - Newbie Question

Post by rosboy »

Hi all.

Newbie here. I recently installed Sabnzbd and Sickbeard on my Synology NAS.

I have a Newshosting account (unlimited) for my indexer and am using nmatrix.co.za and my search provider.

I have everything set up, but most of the files that I am adding to download are giving the error "Download failed - Outside your Servers Retention?". When I hover over the failed download, I get a message telling me the there are hundreds of missing articles. I would understand if this was for files that were for a few years old, but the files I'm downloading are only 3-4 weeks old, less in some cases.

I've tried a trial with UsenetServer to see if the error is coming from Newshosting, but it's now.

Anyone got any ideas?
ALbino

Re: NZB Missing Articles - Newbie Question

Post by ALbino »

DMCA removal. Companies are saying those files are pirated and having them removed from Newshosting. You need a backup account. Block accounts are the easiest way to go, and it's best if you go with a European provider like Tweaknews.
rosboy

Post by rosboy »

ALbino wrote:DMCA removal. Companies are saying those files are pirated and having them removed from Newshosting. You need a backup account. Block accounts are the easiest way to go, and it's best if you go with a European provider like Tweaknews.
Thanks. I've tried Tweaknews and it's working perfectly so far.

I was using the european servers from Newshosting, but that didn't seem to matter!
ALbino

Post by ALbino »

Unfortunately, Newshosting is still a US company, so the European server is just there for speed/efficiency purposes to people in Europe; in theory the actual content is the same. I have had good luck in general with a Tweaknews backup, but have several other fill servers just in case.
rosboy

Post by rosboy »

What other fill servers do you use?
ALbino

Post by ALbino »

It seems like there's dozens of usenet servers, but there's really only a few backends, and the rest are resellers with different prices and pricing structures. Personally, I like to have one from each branch, but that might be overkill. Here's a diagram:

http://www.abload.de/image.php?img=usenetwajgg.png

If you have European backup and are downloading within a few hours of the content being released you're probably fine with just Newshosting + Tweak.
rosboy

Post by rosboy »

That's a fantastic diagram. Really helps clear things up.

So if I have an unlimited primary account, and a backup block account, Sabnzbd would try my unlimited account first, then try to find any missing files on the block account?
ALbino

Post by ALbino »

Yeah. You check the "backup server" option when you add it. Here's a picture...

http://www.imagebam.com/image/4810a1361390255

Hope this helps.
rosboy

Post by rosboy »

That's been a massive help. Thanks ALbino...you've saved nzbs for me ;)
moctodsab

Post by moctodsab »

Hey Guys, even though this thread is 4 yrs old. I figure it's better to bump it than to start a thread on the same topic. I'm a newbie and recently learned about the missing articles issue. I followed this thread's recommendation to use Tweaknews. I have a subscription to newshosting. In my sabnzbd configuration, I added tweaknews. I wasn't sure how this was going to work. Both priorities are at 0. I went back to the file that was missing articles, and voila, it started downloading with no issues. So I guess it's pulling files from which ever server that allows it?

But what I'm curious about is the BLOCK accounts that's recommended. In the research I've done, many recommend BLOCK accounts including this thread. I have two questions regarding this...

1. Why is that? Is it simply to save money? Right now, tweaknews is not a block, I signed for the 10gb free trial.
2. If I'm going to buy a block, do I need to configure anything beyond what I did above? Will Sabnzb know when to use the block and when not to? My concern is not configuring things properly, and using up the block account when the same file could be downloaded using newshosting.

Please advise, thank you in advance!
pxr5

Post by pxr5 »

Hi moctodsab.

A block account is just a filler account in case there are missing articles in your main account. You buy a block and will last until it runs out. As it shouldn't be required that often it should last for a while. One would normally set its priority lower, so it's only used when needed, so a 50GB block should be all that's required, so in answer to your questions:

1. Yes it's cheaper as a few dollar/pounds for a block account will last a while.
2. Set the block account lower priority than the main so it's only used when there are missing articles on the main. If you're worried, monitor your block account on the site you are buying it from to see how much is being used.

I have one block account from tweaknews. It's been going for 2 years now and cost me a few pounds.
safihre
Administrator
Administrator

Post by safihre »

A more recent overview of the provider-map is here:

https://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/ ... kbones.svg

Make sure to have blocks/main-servers that are not on the same backbone!
If you like our support, check our special newsserver deal or donate at: https://sabnzbd.org/donate
methanoid

Post by methanoid »

Given the increasing number of times an NZB is proving no use cos DMCA etc have kicked in, is there any way to get SAB to conclude a file is a failure a bit quicker? It is actually SLOWER for me to have a file fail by some minutes than to download a whole complete file. Its like each request for the parts of the file is taking forever to respond ...
safihre
Administrator
Administrator

Post by safihre »

It's indeed a bit slow to check for the missing articles.

You do have "Abort jobs that cannot be completed" turned On, right?
If you like our support, check our special newsserver deal or donate at: https://sabnzbd.org/donate
methanoid

Post by methanoid »

safihre wrote: November 24th, 2018, 9:08 am It's indeed a bit slow to check for the missing articles.

You do have "Abort jobs that cannot be completed" turned On, right?
Yeah.. looks like I'll just have to put up with it... I do wonder tho if it could be solved by checking if the DL if processing at say less than 10% of the current speed for more than 20s (or whatever) and abort if it is?