Safely exposing service to the internet

Get help with all aspects of SABnzbd
Forum rules
Help us help you:
  • Are you using the latest stable version of SABnzbd? Downloads page.
  • Tell us what system you run SABnzbd on.
  • Adhere to the forum rules.
  • Do you experience problems during downloading?
    Check your connection in Status and Interface settings window.
    Use Test Server in Config > Servers.
    We will probably ask you to do a test using only basic settings.
  • Do you experience problems during repair or unpacking?
    Enable +Debug logging in the Status and Interface settings window and share the relevant parts of the log here using [ code ] sections.
tiwas

Safely exposing service to the internet

Post by tiwas »

Hi.

I'm running sabnzbd (plus some more services) on a Windows 10 Pro computer on my LAN. For simplicity, I'm playing with the idea of exposing these services on the internet, but I'm worried about the security aspect. The Windows firewall (or most software firewalls, for that sake) doesn't really make me feel too safe.

My setup is pretty basic. I'm behind a router with a firewall (default router from my provider, so probably not the best) and then via a gigabit switch to my computers. If one hacks my "server" my whole LAN will be exposed.

Are there any good ways to expose the services without leaving my whole network exposed and vulnerable? I tried searching the FAQ and had a quick look here (let's be honest - I didn't have time to search too much as I'm headed out to the gym and then to dinner with my girlfriend and her family. These things have a *very* low WAF, so I guess she wouldn't be very impressed if researching this took priority over her family :p ). I hope someone can give me some good pointers along with assurances on the security - and I'm very open to the idea of not exposing them, if that's the best bet. Most of the time I can VPN in through my NAS, so it's not a dealbreaker for me :)

Thanks!
safihre
Administrator
Administrator

Re: Safely exposing service to the internet

Post by safihre »

The VPN sounds like one of the safest ways.
You could setup a proxy, it's also listed under the advanced topics in the wiki. But it's more complicated.
If you like our support, check our special newsserver deal or donate at: https://sabnzbd.org/donate
tiwas

Re: Safely exposing service to the internet

Post by tiwas »

safihre wrote: December 28th, 2018, 2:49 pm The VPN sounds like one of the safest ways.
You could setup a proxy, it's also listed under the advanced topics in the wiki. But it's more complicated.
Thanks. I've had a proxy some time ago, but it was problematic. I wound back up with the VPN. Guess I'll stick with that until I can afford to pay for a hosted solution.