Retry Failed Articles feature AFTER it failed?

Want something added? Ask for it here.
Skyrider

Retry Failed Articles feature AFTER it failed?

Post by Skyrider »

It would be a great feature to have to be able to retry failed articles if the file has failed downloading. I know nzbget has this function, and it's great to have especially if you add new (block) servers later on in attempts to repair the failed download quicker without wasting time.

I wasted over a GB on my block account because I added it half-way throughout the download, and now I'm forced to re-download it completely. I tend to switch over to block accounts when the block account is at full capacity so I can re-add a new one and retry the failed articles (on nzbget that is)

Out of curiosity. Why is this feature missing on sab?
safihre
Administrator
Administrator

Re: Retry Failed Articles feature AFTER it failed?

Post by safihre »

Because it requires us also to re-work the way we handle the files. We need to keep track which "holes" are left in the files, which we don't do.
If you like our support, check our special newsserver deal or donate at: https://sabnzbd.org/donate
Puzzled

Post by Puzzled »

If Sab could keep the parts it would have several benefits. Making it easier to add another server and try again would be one, but you could also let the user choose to only download what is available through selected (unlimited) servers. That way one could avoid using block servers if there are enough par files available for repair. The block servers would only be used if the repair fails. It would use twice as much disk space while downloading and decoding but lots of users can afford that. I think keeping the parts would also indirectly give you a way to know which parts are missing without needing a very big rewrite.
safihre
Administrator
Administrator

Post by safihre »

Technically you are right, but now we just discard any location information . So we just need to take the time to add it indeed would have many benefits.
It would also allow us to do Direct Write, like nzbget has. So we don't need Article Cache anymore.
If you like our support, check our special newsserver deal or donate at: https://sabnzbd.org/donate