Quick Question About WinRAR

Feel free to talk about anything and everything in this board.
AnythingOldSchool

Quick Question About WinRAR

Post by AnythingOldSchool »

Just a quick question. I've tested downloading with SAB using nzb's that contain only WinRARs. SAB seems to extract them with no problem. But lately I've been having problems with larger files. I'm wondering, by change is there a combined size limit with RARs inside nzb files? I didn't want to create PAR2 files, 'cause I felt the combined size would have been just too ridiculous. By the way, I'm using WinRAR 5.80

Oh yeah, I also chose "add recovery record," and I set 100%. Not sure if that has anything to do with it.
sander
Release Testers
Release Testers

Re: Quick Question About WinRAR

Post by sander »

AnythingOldSchool wrote: January 31st, 2020, 6:20 am Just a quick question. I've tested downloading with SAB using nzb's that contain only WinRARs.
Huh? Ik think you mean RARs?
AnythingOldSchool wrote: January 31st, 2020, 6:20 am I'm wondering, by change is there a combined size limit with RARs inside nzb files? I didn't want to create PAR2 files, 'cause I felt the combined size would have been just too ridiculous. By the way, I'm using WinRAR 5.80
What is "ridicilous". AFAIK a 100GB post is OK.
AnythingOldSchool wrote: January 31st, 2020, 6:20 am Oh yeah, I also chose "add recovery record," and I set 100%. Not sure if that has anything to do with it.
Oh, is this about posting?
AnythingOldSchool

sander wrote: January 31st, 2020, 9:07 am
AnythingOldSchool wrote: January 31st, 2020, 6:20 am Just a quick question. I've tested downloading with SAB using nzb's that contain only WinRARs.
Huh? Ik think you mean RARs?
Oh damn, I really apologize, I didn't realize who bad I screwed up this post. I was hurrying up to leave work! LOLOL I should have reread this. So, anyway, yes! I mean RARs. I wasn't sure if my assumptions were true. Long story short. I've noticed that when I archive files using WinRAR (100mb split), and upload those files to USENET, SABnzbd extracts those files with no problem. However, when I use WinRAR for really large files (ex. 16GB, 18GB files), I noticed that SABnzbd has difficulty extracting the RAR'd files. I Usually get either "missing files," or "can't unpack," etc, etc.

So, I was wondering, is there a collective maximum size limit on split files that SABnzbd can handle? I didn't bother using PAR2 because I felt the file I was uploading would have become far larger than the file was worth. I thought as long as I selected "add recovery record," and set it at 100% the upload should be good! But I guess I was wrong.

I read that it is common for files to get corrupted during uploads to USENET. Not sure if this means creating PAR2 files are compulsory?
sander
Release Testers
Release Testers

Post by sander »

I get the idea your questions are about posting / "archiving". This forum is about SABnzbd & downloading.
AnythingOldSchool

sander wrote: February 1st, 2020, 3:44 am I get the idea your questions are about posting / "archiving". This forum is about SABnzbd & downloading.
My question IS about SABnzbd. Does SABnzbd have collective limit on the size of Winrar files it extracts. If so, then perhaps I've discovered the importance of including PAR2 files.

UPDATE:

So, I think I have found my answer. I just made a ridiculously large upload 22GB with 323 RARs, and PAR2 files, and SABnzbd had no problems. So, I'm just going to assume that the problem I had earlier was attributed to an originally corrupt file. BTW, I also realized for the first time that sometimes NZB index sites sometimes miscalculate file sizes. Hmm, have to remember that one too.