Direct unpack on correct drive

Get help with all aspects of SABnzbd
Forum rules
Help us help you:
  • Are you using the latest stable version of SABnzbd? Downloads page.
  • Tell us what system you run SABnzbd on.
  • Adhere to the forum rules.
  • Do you experience problems during downloading?
    Check your connection in Status and Interface settings window.
    Use Test Server in Config > Servers.
    We will probably ask you to do a test using only basic settings.
  • Do you experience problems during repair or unpacking?
    Enable +Debug logging in the Status and Interface settings window and share the relevant parts of the log here using [ code ] sections.
gevrey

Direct unpack on correct drive

Post by gevrey »

My SABnzbd service runs on a box with an SSD, the temp directory is on it. The target drive is on a NAS with mechanical hd.
When I activate direct unpack it apparently does it on the slower NAS instead of the local SSD, hence slowing down the process. I see the temporary UNPACK directory on the NAS during the download.
Is there a way to set the direct unpack directory, so it can be done on my SSD?
safihre
Administrator
Administrator

Re: Direct unpack on correct drive

Post by safihre »

Not really. The point of Direct Unpack is to directly unpack to the final directory, so it saves you time.
How is it currently slowing the process?
If your download is 10min, and the unpack 5 min = total 15min without Direct Unpack.
With Direct Unpack enabled the 5 min wil be performed during the 10min, so it could be reduced to total=10min. Or maybe a few minutes longer, but still below 15min because it started sooner.
If you like our support, check our special newsserver deal or donate at: https://sabnzbd.org/donate
gevrey

Post by gevrey »

It does not slow down the process, but the NAS becomes unresponsive for other apps (i.e. VLC opening another file)

If the unpack was on the SSD, then only the move to the target would be done sequentially.
sander
Release Testers
Release Testers

Post by sander »

@gevrey

What if you set Complete also to your local SSD, and run a postprocessing script to afterwards copy from SSD to NAS?
safihre
Administrator
Administrator

Post by safihre »

Just disable Direct Unpack! It will then unpack sequentially after the whole thing finished. That's the same as using a post processing script basically.
If you like our support, check our special newsserver deal or donate at: https://sabnzbd.org/donate
gevrey

Post by gevrey »

sander wrote: June 6th, 2020, 11:14 am What if you set Complete also to your local SSD, and run a postprocessing script to afterwards copy from SSD to NAS?
Yes, thanks, that's the option I was thinking of.

@safihre Disabling the direct unpack is less efficient.

Note: I had this "problem" since my Internet connection speed has increased a lot (now I get 40MB/s d/l with SAB) and the weakest link became the NAS drive speed.