Fresh install on 20.10 - won't start, no glitter [RDP / XRDP ]

Support for the Debian/Ubuntu package, created by JCFP.
Forum rules
Help us help you:
  • Are you using the latest stable version of SABnzbd? Downloads page.
  • Tell us what system you run SABnzbd on.
  • Adhere to the forum rules.
  • Do you experience problems during downloading?
    Check your connection in Status and Interface settings window.
    Use Test Server in Config > Servers.
    We will probably ask you to do a test using only basic settings.
  • Do you experience problems during repair or unpacking?
    Enable +Debug logging in the Status and Interface settings window and share the relevant parts of the log here using [ code ] sections.
aod1985

Fresh install on 20.10 - won't start, no glitter [RDP / XRDP ]

Post by aod1985 »

Hi

I have a fresh install of 20.10 - only added Plex to it.

Installed SABnzbd using your guide, adding your repos etc and using the nobetas option.

Seemed to install fine, all completes with no errors - but on starting SABnzbdplus I get a fatal crash/error with a webpage about lack of glitter interface - here's the full output, no logs since SABnzbd doesn't even start:

Code: Select all

$ sabnzbdplus
2020-12-26 20:23:53,870::INFO::[sabnzbdplus:1148] --------------------------------
2020-12-26 20:23:53,870::INFO::[sabnzbdplus:1149] sabnzbdplus-3.1.1 (rev=99b5a00c12c1d8e17bb3e4a9a98339f59152c842)
2020-12-26 20:23:53,870::INFO::[sabnzbdplus:1150] Full executable path = /bin/sabnzbdplus
2020-12-26 20:23:53,870::INFO::[sabnzbdplus:1160] Platform = posix
2020-12-26 20:23:53,871::INFO::[sabnzbdplus:1161] Python-version = 3.8.6 (default, Sep 25 2020, 09:36:53) 
[GCC 10.2.0]
2020-12-26 20:23:53,871::INFO::[sabnzbdplus:1162] Arguments = "/bin/sabnzbdplus"
2020-12-26 20:23:53,871::INFO::[sabnzbdplus:1166] Not inside a docker container
2020-12-26 20:23:53,871::INFO::[sabnzbdplus:1169] Preferred encoding = UTF-8
2020-12-26 20:23:53,871::INFO::[sabnzbdplus:1185] SSL version = OpenSSL 1.1.1f  31 Mar 2020
2020-12-26 20:23:53,887::INFO::[sabnzbdplus:1194] Certifi version: 2020.04.05.1
2020-12-26 20:23:53,887::INFO::[sabnzbdplus:1195] Loaded additional certificates from: /etc/ssl/certs/ca-certificates.crt
2020-12-26 20:23:53,887::INFO::[sabnzbdplus:1240] Using INI file /home/andrew/.sabnzbd/sabnzbd.ini
2020-12-26 20:23:53,888::INFO::[__init__:951] [N/A] /home/andrew/.sabnzbd/admin/rss_data.sab missing
2020-12-26 20:23:53,888::INFO::[__init__:951] [N/A] /home/andrew/.sabnzbd/admin/totals10.sab missing
2020-12-26 20:23:53,897::INFO::[postproc:140] Loading postproc queue
2020-12-26 20:23:53,897::INFO::[__init__:951] [N/A] /home/andrew/.sabnzbd/admin/postproc2.sab missing
2020-12-26 20:23:53,897::INFO::[__init__:951] [N/A] /home/andrew/.sabnzbd/admin/queue10.sab missing
2020-12-26 20:23:53,898::INFO::[__init__:951] [N/A] /home/andrew/.sabnzbd/admin/watched_data2.sab missing
2020-12-26 20:23:53,898::INFO::[__init__:951] [N/A] /home/andrew/.sabnzbd/admin/Rating.sab missing
2020-12-26 20:23:53,898::INFO::[scheduler:205] Setting schedule for midnight BPS reset
2020-12-26 20:23:53,899::INFO::[config:857] Writing settings to INI file /home/andrew/.sabnzbd/sabnzbd.ini
2020-12-26 20:23:53,900::INFO::[__init__:349] All processes started
2020-12-26 20:23:53,900::WARNING::[sabnzbdplus:108] Cannot find web template: /share/sabnzbdplus/interfaces/Glitter/templates/main.tmpl, trying standard template
2020-12-26 20:23:53,901::ERROR::[sabnzbdplus:299] Cannot find standard template: /share/sabnzbdplus/interfaces/Glitter
NoneType: None
2020-12-26 20:23:53,901::INFO::[panic:239] Launching browser with /tmp/tmpispb9wbe.html
I'm guessing i'm missing something key to the glitter package but what's what?

Cheers
sander
Release Testers
Release Testers

Re: Fresh install on 20.10 - won't start, no glitter

Post by sander »

You're on Debian/Ubuntu?
aod1985

Post by aod1985 »

sander wrote: December 26th, 2020, 4:06 pm You're on Debian/Ubuntu?
Ubuntu 20.10 (Groovy) desktop, yes - on an 8th gen i5 NUC. No changes made to the underlying OS - only installed Plex. New install about 2 days ago.

Followed instructions here to add all repos before install and installed with these instructions (insturctions from sabnzbd dot org - install ubuntu repo)

I would obviously try and report more and provide logs but I can't get far enough to start any program logging - it's just the INFO output then the error and an error message in a webpage. I have uninstalled/reinstalled a number of times, restarted etc and it happens with all installs.

The browser message says:
sabnzbdplus 3.1.1

SABnzbd cannot find its web interface files in /share/sabnzbdplus/interfaces/Glitter.
Please install the program again.

Program did not start!
I have also run autoremove, apt-get clean to remove cached packages, restarted and reinstalled and same error again.
sander
Release Testers
Release Testers

Post by sander »

The paths from your logging are very strange:

2020-12-26 20:23:53,870::INFO::[sabnzbdplus:1150] Full executable path = /bin/sabnzbdplus
2020-12-26 20:23:53,900::WARNING::[sabnzbdplus:108] Cannot find web template: /share/sabnzbdplus/interfaces/Glitter/templates/main.tmpl, trying standard template
2020-12-26 20:23:53,901::ERROR::[sabnzbdplus:299] Cannot find standard template: /share/sabnzbdplus/interfaces/Glitter
On my Ubuntu, they are:

/usr/bin/sabnzbdplus
/usr/share/sabnzbdplus/interfaces/Glitter/templates/main.tmpl
So, in your output, "/usr" is missing. How can that be? Or is is just a presentation thing? Can you pate your logging into pastebin, and post the URL here with spaces around the dots?

Furthermore, on Ubuntu 20.10, there is already a quite recent SABnzbd, so adding a repo would not be your firs step.
aod1985

Post by aod1985 »

sander wrote: December 26th, 2020, 11:32 pm
Furthermore, on Ubuntu 20.10, there is already a quite recent SABnzbd, so adding a repo would not be your firs step.
I have just been following the instructions provided on the installation and on the forum install guide - to add universe, multiverse repos and also then add repository ppa:jcfp/nobetas

Run an apt upgrade/update then install with sudo apt-get -o APT::Install-Recommends=1 install sabnzbdplus

Since you mentioned there is a recent SABnzbd without adding repos, I removed the PPA repos and updated, installed again all seemed successful but same errors.

I have pasted the entire process straight from my terminal to pastebin so you can see it direct from the horse's mouth and see if i'm doing something incorrect? I can't access SABnzbd to get any internal logs etc.

Full pastebin at pastebin . com/yseHMb4m

The error webpage comes up at

file:////tmp/tmpg2o_gd2j.html
If there are other diagnostics you need please let me know and I will obtain.

I have no idea why /usr is missing on my output, I have installed from the root directory on the terminal and my understanding is Linux packages dictate their install directory themselves.

Looking at the actual location specified (interfaces/Glitter), it's all seemingly there so this isn't a missing file, it's a missing pointer. Why is SABnzbd missing the pointer /usr/ in this case?

/usr/share/sabnzbdplus/interfaces/Glitter/templates$ dir
history.tmpl	      include_messages.tmpl  main.tmpl	 static
include_history.tmpl  include_overlays.tmpl  nzo.tmpl	 status.tmpl
include_menu.tmpl     include_queue.tmpl     queue.tmpl
Any tips appreciated, cheers
Last edited by aod1985 on December 27th, 2020, 7:11 am, edited 1 time in total.
sander
Release Testers
Release Testers

Post by sander »

Your https://pastebin.com/yseHMb4m still shows the PPA:

Hit:3 http://ppa.launchpad.net/jcfp/nobetas/ubuntu groovy InRelease

Remove that. Then remove sabnzbdplus

Furthermore: no need to install universe and multiverse ... on a Desktop Ubuntu that is all there.

On a fresh, clean Ubuntu desktop, all you need is "sudo apt-get install sabnzbdplus" ... and you're done.

Question: are you a Ubuntu newbie?
aod1985

Post by aod1985 »

sander wrote: December 27th, 2020, 7:08 am Your https://pastebin.com/yseHMb4m still shows the PPA:

Hit:3 http://ppa.launchpad.net/jcfp/nobetas/ubuntu groovy InRelease

Remove that. Then remove sabnzbdplus

Furthermore: no need to install universe and multiverse ... on a Desktop Ubuntu that is all there.

On a fresh, clean Ubuntu desktop, all you need is "sudo apt-get install sabnzbdplus" ... and you're done.

Question: are you a Ubuntu newbie?
Yes - not a total novice but fairly new. Mostly been using Raspbian Lite or similar, this is my first Ubuntu but not my first Unix. Permissions are the biggest stumbling block for me so far - my experience so far with packages is they 'just work'.

I didn't realise that the standard Ubuntu desktop repos held SABnzbdplus so I thought I needed to add the JCFP one - there's no mention of just pulling it from an apt-get, all the guides here and on the SABnzbd website make it sound like I need the PPA

I've done what you suggested (remove PPA, remove sabnzbdplus, autoremove, apt clean, restart whole system, apt update), now an apt update doesn't include the hit for the PPA - just the 4 Ubuntu ones and i'm still hitting the same error.

I have checked and the interface/glitter files and folders seem to be in place so they're not absent - just the logs missing the /usr/ from the start.

Fingers crossed i'm not doing something idiotic.

pastebin . com/Kfd44aNF
sander
Release Testers
Release Testers

Post by sander »

you could remove /bin/sabnzbdplus and then see if /usr/bin/sabnzbdplus exists and is runnable.

If not ... my knowledge for cases like this does not go further than trial-n-error, so I myself would choose a fresh install of Ubuntu
aod1985

Post by aod1985 »

sander wrote: December 27th, 2020, 8:20 am you could remove /bin/sabnzbdplus and then see if /usr/bin/sabnzbdplus exists and is runnable.

If not ... my knowledge for cases like this does not go further than trial-n-error, so I myself would choose a fresh install of Ubuntu
yeah it's an odd one for sure. The interface files exist in the right place but SAB is looking in a location which is obviously incorrect - which I haven't told it to or modified in any way.

Not sure if there's some kind of root/symlink or something broken. I've had a look at the SABnzbd python file itself and it refers to /usr/... so why it's not doing that on running I don't know.

baffling.

Anyway i have an old laptop i'm putting a fresh install Ubuntu 20.10 on, will try apt-get install SABnzbd as the very first thing I do. No messing. If that works I might reinstall from scratch on this machine. If it doesn't and that's different hardware, different install then maybe there's a bug.
jcfp
Release Testers
Release Testers

Post by jcfp »

2020-12-27 11:55:49,138::INFO::[sabnzbdplus:1150] Full executable path = /bin/sabnzbdplus
It appears the sabnzbdplus executable being run is installed in /bin. That in turn causes the application to not find the interface templates, because the path to those is set in constants.py as a relative path (DEF_INTERFACES = "../share/sabnzbdplus/interfaces") to the executable (which should be in /usr/bin).

The package (ppa and official alike) installs to the correct location of /usr/bin; I checked the ubuntu autopkgtest logs and verified the 3.1.1 deb for 20.10 from the ppa by hand just to be sure. Curious to know what would trigger this, maybe /usr/bin is a symlink on that system? Please post the output of this command (it's harmless and produces output similar to ls but with symlinks followed "to the end"):

readlink -f /usr/bin /usr
aod1985

Post by aod1985 »

jcfp wrote: December 27th, 2020, 12:39 pm
2020-12-27 11:55:49,138::INFO::[sabnzbdplus:1150] Full executable path = /bin/sabnzbdplus
It appears the sabnzbdplus executable being run is installed in /bin. That in turn causes the application to not find the interface templates, because the path to those is set in constants.py as a relative path (DEF_INTERFACES = "../share/sabnzbdplus/interfaces") to the executable (which should be in /usr/bin).

The package (ppa and official alike) installs to the correct location of /usr/bin; I checked the ubuntu autopkgtest logs and verified the 3.1.1 deb for 20.10 from the ppa by hand just to be sure. Curious to know what would trigger this, maybe /usr/bin is a symlink on that system? Please post the output of this command (it's harmless and produces output similar to ls but with symlinks followed "to the end"):

readlink -f /usr/bin /usr
Further trial and error has found the problem but no solution - it's my method of access of Ubuntu itself - via rdp.

I just did a fresh install from scratch, installed SABnzbdplus straight away, it all works fine, no problems - it brings up the first page of the wizard.

Left the machine connected in the other room, logged out, connect via rdp. Clicking the SABnzbd icon gives the glitter error page.

Log out of the rdp session, go back to the machine and log in locally, run SABnzbd and wizard pops up again. Reproducible both ways - rdp access to the machine hits the glitter error, local direct access is fine.

I am assuming this is unintended/undesirable behaviour but can't explain why rdp access would remap /usr/. This is probably waaay beyond my linux ability. I've not been changing settings anywhere. rdp is through xrdp - the usual standard.

Let me know if you want other tests run, the output as requested is here:

andrew@GSV-Grey-Area:~$ readlink -f /usr/bin /usr
/usr/bin
/usr
jcfp
Release Testers
Release Testers

Post by jcfp »

No idea why rdp would do that. Is /usr/bin "gone" entirely when connected via rdp or does it just turn /bin into a copy of /usr/bin? What if you call sab with its full path /usr/bin/sabnzbdplus? Alternatively, maybe setting it up as a service (add a username in /etc/default/sabnzbdplus so it starts on boot) could avoid the rdp issue.
aod1985

Post by aod1985 »

jcfp wrote: December 28th, 2020, 4:50 am No idea why rdp would do that. Is /usr/bin "gone" entirely when connected via rdp or does it just turn /bin into a copy of /usr/bin? What if you call sab with its full path /usr/bin/sabnzbdplus? Alternatively, maybe setting it up as a service (add a username in /etc/default/sabnzbdplus so it starts on boot) could avoid the rdp issue.
Seems like it's an actual issue with Ubuntu and XRDP - see here:

https://serverfault.com/questions/70977 ... t-variable

and

https://askubuntu.com/questions/92333/u ... dp-session

I'm not au fait enough with the environment path to diagnose much further.

If I call sab with it's full path (presumably the same as double clicking to run the file /usr/bin/sabnzbdplus) it also hits the error. Looks like the PATH variable is modified by the xrdp access enough that when sab goes looking for it it's directed to the wrong place even when started correctly. The files ARE there because i can simply log out of rdp, log in locally and it works immediately.

An odd error and not sure if it's one you can fix in sab since it's an environment issue - but you're the linux coder so you will have much better understanding than me if it can be changed. Plenty of other programs run fine via rdp - do they use hardcoded location links? Useful to know though since I imagine a lot of people want to run headless stuff and I dislike VNC.

I have set to run as a service and it works fine and i'm remembering to use VNC for any modification of sab for now. I haven't experimented with rdp access while running as a service etc.
jcfp
Release Testers
Release Testers

Post by jcfp »

Nice to know you did find a workaround. The PATH probably isn't the issue here, that can be annoying but only changes the order and/or locations the os searches when running a program without supplying a full path, e.g. just "sabnzbdplus" (also used by the desktop entry, see /usr/share/applications/sabnzbdplus.desktop) vs. "/usr/bin/sabnzbdplus".

The real trouble here is that the file that is supposed to be at /usr/bin/sabnzbdplus suddenly finds itself at /bin/sabnzbdplus. While most executables will survive that move, sab won't because of its reliance on a relative path, as described above. That kind of thing can only really be hardened against by changing the design of the sabnzbdplus package; I would at the very least need to know the reasoning behind rdp's shenanigans before going there.
ArskinF

Post by ArskinF »

I have set to run as a service and it works fine and i'm remembering to use VNC for any modification of sab for now. I haven't experimented with rdp access while running as a service etc.
I'm having a similar problem, but it seems to be the other way, i.e. the path is corrupted when attempts are made to start sabnzbd directly on the host.

It runs fine when I start it on a remote login.

I haven't tried running it as a systemd service, but will give it a go. Sadly, systemd and I have a poor history. Many a system has been borked by me that way. I will only attempt it after a Clonezilla session. ;D

Admin edit: viewtopic.php?p=124038#p124038