Switched to Sabnzbd as Service, lost access to shared drive

Get help with all aspects of SABnzbd
Forum rules
Help us help you:
  • Are you using the latest stable version of SABnzbd? Downloads page.
  • Tell us what system you run SABnzbd on.
  • Adhere to the forum rules.
  • Do you experience problems during downloading?
    Check your connection in Status and Interface settings window.
    Use Test Server in Config > Servers.
    We will probably ask you to do a test using only basic settings.
  • Do you experience problems during repair or unpacking?
    Enable +Debug logging in the Status and Interface settings window and share the relevant parts of the log here using [ code ] sections.
pcgumshoe

Switched to Sabnzbd as Service, lost access to shared drive

Post by pcgumshoe »

I've been running Sabnzbd for a year or two and I thought things were going well, however, every now and then, I had to use FILEBOT to move files from Folders on my Server (which is a Dell Standalone Hobby Server).

My main window 11 PC has all the head end and it was pointed to my mapped network drives on the Dell

On my Windows 11 PC Sabnzbd, radarr, and sonarr are all installed and were working together until I tried to correct Sabnzbds NOT being run as a service. I noticed an error in one of my files stating that because I was using a MAPPED drive, some things might not work correctly and they recommended that I use UNC Paths. I have since installed Sabnzbd as a Service on the Windows PC but in the settings, I cannot MAP the UNC Paths. I have NO problem seeing them as Mapped network drives.

Also, following the wiki instructions, I was told to go to Windows Services and change the Log On from "Local System Account" To a specific account that has admin privileges in the Sabnzbd Service. When ever I enter what I know the password is for one of the admin accounts, I get an error that I have the wrong password and Sabnzbd can't start.

"NOTE When using network shares with the SABnzbd service, you must use network (UNC) paths (\\server\share) instead of drive letters (P:\)." I enter the path as it should be, I cannot browse to the network location. Am I missing a setting in Windows?
safihre
Administrator
Administrator

Re: Switched to Sabnzbd as Service, lost access to shared drive

Post by safihre »

Yes, the problem is that it needs to be logged on as a Local System Account. Can't do it without that.
Maybe the problem is that your account is a Microsoft account connected to your online account. I'm not sure exactly how that works..
If you like our support, check our special newsserver deal or donate at: https://sabnzbd.org/donate
pcgumshoe

Post by pcgumshoe »

Thanks!

When I open windows SERVICES, I see "SABnzbd Binary Reader" and I open the properties and go to "Log On" tab.

At the "Log On" tab, I have the following:
"log on as" options: "Local System account"
with "Allow service to interact with desktop"
or I can select
"This account" which gives me an option to "Browse"

I select "Browse" and in the next tab I select "Advanced" "Find Now" and I select the account I log into windows 11 with (it shows up as my windows hotmail account).

I click "Ok" the "select user" box populates the object name to select.
I click "Ok" and in the "This Account" section next to the "Browse" button I get the following, ".\pcgum" which IS my main log on for my PC. However, On my SERVER, I log in with "Administrator" not my user name. Now, I enter what I think my password is for the login account, and none of those passwords work.

Since none of my passwords worked, I go to the Outlook site and change my password on my Hotmail account, then I try to start the SABnzbd Binary Reader with this new password and I get the error: "Windows could not start the SABnzbd Binary Newsreader service on Local Computer. Error 1069: the service did not start due to a logon failure."

I'm going to try and change the logon password for my Administrator account on my DELL server and see if THAT allows me to logon with my actually account, otherwise, I'm lost.

Normally my SABnzbd would be downloading various things throughout the week without any input from me, now I can't set the completed and temporary downloads folders that I have shared in Windows. I must be missing some KEY thing.
safihre
Administrator
Administrator

Post by safihre »

I think you indeed need the password for that local hotmail account. Not the server account!
Maybe worth a Google to see what password it should be? Maybe need to create some sort of local password, since it's an online account.
If you like our support, check our special newsserver deal or donate at: https://sabnzbd.org/donate
pcgumshoe

Post by pcgumshoe »

safihre wrote: June 21st, 2022, 9:11 am I think you indeed need the password for that local hotmail account. Not the server account!
I have it, I've reset it and it does NOT work no matter what I add.

As a test, I created another admin user with a HOTMAIL account I have, and when I add THIS account to the "Log On" Sabnzbd Binary Reader loads without an error. I'm concerned, however, because this Hotmail account that has been added, is NOT an account that has access to the server.

Also, now my SHARES are NOT visible in SAB, SONARR or RADARR.
safihre
Administrator
Administrator

Post by safihre »

You need to login with that account and create the shares also under that account. Then they will be visible.
pcgumshoe

Post by pcgumshoe »

Ok, to make things work more efficiently, I moved SABnzbd, Sonarr, and Radarr to my Dell Home Lab Server and have them ALL three running as SERVICES on that server, Now everything seems to be working correctly and I can access ALL three from any PC in the house using the SERVER's IP and the correct Port for each app. The only problem I am having is that I'm getting warnings that SABnzbd is refusing connections to MANY different internet IP addresses. In the SABnzbd Settings under General, I have "External Internet Access" set to "No Access" and I still get these warnings and I know that it's bad that this SERVER is exposed, did I miss something?
pcgumshoe

Post by pcgumshoe »

UPDATE: I've added a USERNAME and PASSWORD and changed the EXTERNAL INTERNET ACCESS to FULL WEB INTERFACE only external access requires login., So far, no more messages and everything seems to be working.
safihre
Administrator
Administrator

Post by safihre »

What warnings were you getting?
Because if your server is exposed and setup wrongly, it could mean now people have full access.
pcgumshoe

Post by pcgumshoe »

The message was "Warning refused connection to 193.24.XXX.XXX" and an IP address and the IP addresses were different and they were staggered every 30-90 minutes, these messages would show up where the INFO messages shows up. Now, having added a user name and password and changed the settings to FULL WEB UI - Only External Access Requires Login, now nothing.

It should be noted that this configuration has solved a NUMBER of my problems. Now, I don't have to manually move any of my files or rename any of the folders to the correct numbering scheme as I did before. The only reason I didn't do it this way, in the beginning, is because I didn't realize I'd still have the access and control that I have now. However, if THIS access and control come at a risk of exposure, I will look at other alternative configurations.
pcgumshoe

Post by pcgumshoe »

Oh, and thanks for the help! I really appreciate it.
safihre
Administrator
Administrator

Post by safihre »

Just to be sure, can you check that in Config > Specials the setting "local_ranges" is empty?
It worries me a bit, because if the IP-addresses were changing this means that it was really blocking external attacks and now suddenly they are allowed.

You should maybe not have used this setting, but just disabled Config > Specials > api_warnings, to prevent the errors.
At least then it would still be blocking attackers.
pcgumshoe

Post by pcgumshoe »

Yes, "local_ranges" is empty.

Well, as I said, I'm getting no warnings at all now, even with "api_warnings" on, should I still turn it off?
safihre
Administrator
Administrator

Post by safihre »

No need to disable it. I guess it's working as expected then.