Folder permissions: "is not writable at all. This blocks downloads."

Get help with all aspects of SABnzbd
Forum rules
Help us help you:
  • Are you using the latest stable version of SABnzbd? Downloads page.
  • Tell us what system you run SABnzbd on.
  • Adhere to the forum rules.
  • Do you experience problems during downloading?
    Check your connection in Status and Interface settings window.
    Use Test Server in Config > Servers.
    We will probably ask you to do a test using only basic settings.
  • Do you experience problems during repair or unpacking?
    Enable +Debug logging in the Status and Interface settings window and share the relevant parts of the log here using [ code ] sections.
pinn

Folder permissions: "is not writable at all. This blocks downloads."

Post by pinn »

Hi,

Moved my completed folder to a new drive but am getting the following errors

Code: Select all

WARNING 29 Jul 2022 6:01am /media/OneTouch/completed is not writable at all. This blocks downloads.
ERROR 29 Jul 2022 6:01am Cannot create directory /media/OneTouch/completed
ERROR 29 Jul 2022 6:01am Failed making (/media/OneTouch/completed)
Traceback (most recent call last):
  File "/home/osmc/sabnzbd/sabnzbd/filesystem.py", line 717, in create_all_dirs
    os.mkdir(path_part_combined)
PermissionError: [Errno 13] Permission denied: '/media/OneTouch'
I have tried this with 777 permissions via Sab and cmd line, also tried it with blank permissions via Sab but same result. Files do get moved there but sonarr/radarr not then moving them on.

Thanks
pinn

Re: Folder permissions: "is not writable at all. This blocks downloads."

Post by pinn »

bump
Johnster

Post by Johnster »

If it helps, this was the same error I got after changing a user password on my NAS (where the completed folder resides). It turned out to be that that account was the cached user credentials the Win 10 SAB Server was running on was using to access the shares. I updated the credentials on the Win box and SAB started working again.
safihre
Administrator
Administrator

Post by safihre »

The check we perform here is sinple: are we allowed to create a directory. It fails due to a Permission Denied error, but that's for you to solve..
Have you checked the parent folder permissions? Have you check the user and group that are running SABnzbd?
If you like our support, check our special newsserver deal or donate at: https://sabnzbd.org/donate
pinn

Post by pinn »

Johnster wrote: August 2nd, 2022, 9:23 am If it helps, this was the same error I got after changing a user password on my NAS (where the completed folder resides). It turned out to be that that account was the cached user credentials the Win 10 SAB Server was running on was using to access the shares. I updated the credentials on the Win box and SAB started working again.
Thanks but this is on a drive directly connected to the machine
pinn

Post by pinn »

safihre wrote: August 4th, 2022, 12:50 pm The check we perform here is sinple: are we allowed to create a directory. It fails due to a Permission Denied error, but that's for you to solve..
Have you checked the parent folder permissions? Have you check the user and group that are running SABnzbd?
Hi. Checked permissions and as follows: https://1drv.ms/u/s!ArwqgF-zCX0om-MoaZ4 ... w?e=42khYt
Sab complains that it cannot create the directory but I have already created it and downloads do actually process correctly despite the error message.
sander
Release Testers
Release Testers

Post by sander »

pinn wrote: August 12th, 2022, 2:00 am

Hi. Checked permissions and as follows: https://1drv.ms/u/s!ArwqgF-zCX0om-MoaZ4 ... w?e=42khYt
Sab complains that it cannot create the directory but I have already created it and downloads do actually process correctly despite the error message.
So: your downloads appear in subdirectories in /media/OneTouch/completed/... ?

Furthermore: does the file /media/OneTouch/completed/sab_test.txt exist? If so, can you remove it?
pinn

Post by pinn »

sander wrote: August 12th, 2022, 4:05 am
pinn wrote: August 12th, 2022, 2:00 am

So: your downloads appear in subdirectories in /media/OneTouch/completed/... ?

Furthermore: does the file /media/OneTouch/completed/sab_test.txt exist? If so, can you remove it?
Yes, completed downloads are shifted into sub dirs for movies & tv
no test file there

As I said, all does work, I just get the warning message each day as system restarts overnight

Thanks Sander
safihre
Administrator
Administrator

Post by safihre »

Ah, so maybe the test is performed before the disk is mounted. If you just restart SABnzbd when the system is already up, do you get this warning?
If you like our support, check our special newsserver deal or donate at: https://sabnzbd.org/donate
pinn

Post by pinn »

safihre wrote: August 13th, 2022, 3:48 am Ah, so maybe the test is performed before the disk is mounted. If you just restart SABnzbd when the system is already up, do you get this warning?
So a restart of Sab via gui does not bring up the error message so seems you are right.
Are you advising I just ignore the message then?
safihre
Administrator
Administrator

Post by safihre »

You can also select the Specials option wait_for_dfolder, then SABnzbd will wait at startup untill the drive is mounted.
See explanation though for the caviats! https://sabnzbd.org/wiki/configuration/3.6/special