Unpacking failed, unable to find/Installation problem [Win7, sab2.3.2]

Report & discuss bugs found in SABnzbd
Forum rules
Help us help you:
  • Are you using the latest stable version of SABnzbd? Downloads page.
  • Tell us what system you run SABnzbd on.
  • Adhere to the forum rules.
  • Do you experience problems during downloading?
    Check your connection in Status and Interface settings window.
    Use Test Server in Config > Servers.
    We will probably ask you to do a test using only basic settings.
  • Do you experience problems during repair or unpacking?
    Enable +Debug logging in the Status and Interface settings window and share the relevant parts of the log here using [ code ] sections.
rahreg

Unpacking failed, unable to find/Installation problem [Win7, sab2.3.2]

Post by rahreg »

Hi,

Long time user, first time poster.

I have been using 2.3.2 [1cac579] on Win7 Enterprise 64bit for years and have been happy with it for the most part. But in the not too recent past I have been having problems where the download will end with Unpacking failed, unable to find <filename>. It is happening more and more and on different machines and I have gotten to the point where I want to deal with it.

I searched for this problem and found 2 pages but what they talked about didn't seem to apply to me and were on even older versions.

I have found that if I retry the nzb, it will work. Or sometimes it will fail again with the same error but if I keep retrying it will eventually work. I have also found that comparing a failed version to a working version shows they are the same. So it is a false error. But even though it seems to compare the same I prefer to retry it until it is successful.

So I have a workaround for this problem, but it is a pain.

I figured that since I am running an old version I should probably try a newer one to see if maybe it has been fixed. So I got the current version 3.7.0 win64 and tried to install it but was told I needed Windows 8.1 or above to use the installer. So I got the zip file and backed up the existing sabnzbd directories and copied the new version over the old one. When I start it I get an error - The program can't start because api-ms-win-core-path-l1-1-0.dll is missing from your computer. Try reinstalling the program to fix this problem. I checked and that dll is not in the zip file and I have no idea where it comes from.

As a result, I have to go back to the older version for now. So my questions are:

Has the "Unpacking failed, unable to find" problem been resolved?
If not, what should I provide to help solve it?
How can I get the new version to run on Win7?

Thanks in advance.
rahreg
safihre
Administrator
Administrator

Re: Unpacking failed, unable to find/Installation problem

Post by safihre »

Have you downloaded the 32bit/compatibility release? So not the 64bit zip?
That one should work on Win7.
If you like our support, check our special newsserver deal or donate at: https://sabnzbd.org/donate
rahreg

Post by rahreg »

Hi safihre,

Yes, I tried that after posting and got the same message. After that message there was another error message about a python file.

I noticed you were responding to the unpacking issue when I searched for that. Any update on that? Has it been resolved?

Thanks
safihre
Administrator
Administrator

Post by safihre »

Most likely, since nobody reported it since. 2.3.7 is ages ago..

You need to install "windows 7 ucrt". If you Google that it will show the Windows update package you need.
If you like our support, check our special newsserver deal or donate at: https://sabnzbd.org/donate
rahreg

Re: Unpacking failed, unable to find/Installation problem [Win7, sab2.3.2]

Post by rahreg »

Hi

I searched for that and found 2 pages both of which directed me to:
www microsoft com/en-us/download/confirmation.aspx?id=49077 (dots removed because I can not post links)

But even though it says Windows 7 on that page, it downloads a file named Windows6.1-KB2999226-x86.msu

When I try to install that I get a message like "This update is not applicable for this computer"

What next?

Thanks
safihre
Administrator
Administrator

Post by safihre »

Ah well then I'm not sure.. Windows 7 isn't supported for a long time by us and Microsoft so I hope you understand I don't really want to investigate this a lot.

All I know is that the UCRT dll's are required by Python, maybe those can be installed in some other way.
rahreg

Post by rahreg »

OK, then I guess I can't upgrade which is unfortunate because I was looking forward to seeing what new features you had and if needed suggesting some new ones.

In the meantime I wrote a program to deal with the bug that takes 1 second instead of several minutes, so I guess that will have to do.

Thanks
Puzzled

Post by Puzzled »

Here's a page about that error: https://www.minitool.com/backup-tips/up ... puter.html

6.1 is the internal version number for Windows 7 so you have the right version number. I think you have picked a 32 bit package instead of 64, though. It's only SABnzbd you need to use the 32 bit version of.