Unpack to another drive slow despite SSD temp

Get help with all aspects of SABnzbd
Forum rules
Help us help you:
  • Are you using the latest stable version of SABnzbd? Downloads page.
  • Tell us what system you run SABnzbd on.
  • Adhere to the forum rules.
  • Do you experience problems during downloading?
    Check your connection in Status and Interface settings window.
    Use Test Server in Config > Servers.
    We will probably ask you to do a test using only basic settings.
  • Do you experience problems during repair or unpacking?
    Enable +Debug logging in the Status and Interface settings window and share the relevant parts of the log here using [ code ] sections.
DeliriousMonk

Unpack to another drive slow despite SSD temp

Post by DeliriousMonk »

So I downloaded a file that's about 30GB and before the download starts I change the category to one where the finished folder is on another drive which is a hard drive (not SSD). My "Temporary Download Folder" is on my SSD though and I could see the download there. The problem is the unpack took almost 48.5 minutes which I found odd so I downloaded it again but left everything and didn't change the category (which defaults to all SSD paths) and the unpack took under 5 minutes. I can then transfer this manually to the drive and that would take just over 3 minutes so about 8 minutes total.

I tried downloading the file again after a reboot and sure enough it is estimated to take the same amount of time for the unpack. Then I tried SSD everything again and unpack took under 2.5 minutes this time.

Not sure how the unpack/unrar algorithm works but I do see the unprocessed download in my temp and final folder as it is unpacking and based off of Task Manager it seems as though it is reading from my SSD and then writing to the hard drive at maybe an average of about 10 MB/s. I looked at the debug logs and see that this command was run for unrar so my observation makes sense:

Code: Select all

Running external command: "C:\Program Files\SABnzbd\win\unrar\x64\UnRAR.exe" "x" "-idp" "-scf" "-o-" "-or" "-ai" "-p*CENSORED*" "\\?\*SSD Temp Location*.part001.rar" "\\?\*Final HDD Location*\"
Nothing else in the logs is really useful.

My hard drive is pretty fast and the sequential write will sustain well above 100 MB/s. Not sure what is bottlenecking the unrar process cause I know there is plenty of CPU power (evidenced by faster unpack on SSD) and the hard drive is way faster than that unless it was for some reason performing a bunch of random writes which I guess it could become that slow but I don't see why it would do that.

Does anyone know if this can somehow be fixed or if I can somehow make it so that the program totally unpacks to SSD before moving it to the drive? I can't seem to find a setting that will allow me to do that. Thanks in advance for any help/advice!

In case anyone will ask for the benchmark in SABnzbd:
System performance (Pystone): 237601
Download folder speed: 677.7 MB/s
Complete folder speed: 699.5 MB/s
Internet Bandwidth: 110 MB/s
sander
Release Testers
Release Testers

Re: Unpack to another drive slow despite SSD temp

Post by sander »

So, you're saying
Temp/Incomplete on SSD, Complete on HDD => total time 48 minutes
Temp/Incomplete on SSD, Complete on SDD, plus manual moving afterwards => total time 8 minutes

Interesting

> or if I can somehow make it so that the program totally unpacks to SSD before moving it to the drive?

Yes, you can: Complete on SSD, and then your own post-processing script that copies to the HDD
DeliriousMonk

Re: Unpack to another drive slow despite SSD temp

Post by DeliriousMonk »

sander wrote: February 2nd, 2023, 2:54 am So, you're saying
Temp/Incomplete on SSD, Complete on HDD => total time 48 minutes
Temp/Incomplete on SSD, Complete on SDD, plus manual moving afterwards => total time 8 minutes

Interesting

> or if I can somehow make it so that the program totally unpacks to SSD before moving it to the drive?

Yes, you can: Complete on SSD, and then your own post-processing script that copies to the HDD
Yes that's correct. Though I just investigated a little more by using another external HDD and that one completed unpacking in just over 6 minutes. I did another one to a NAS location and that one took 13 minutes which is kind of fair cause it does go through the network though both devices are connected to gigabit ethernet. Did it again to the original drive and it still took 38 minutes. It's kind of odd because the original 45 minute drive is actually quite a bit faster and benchmarks significantly (~200 MB/s vs ~100 MB/s) faster too compared to the other USB external drive on CrystalDiskMark for sequential speeds and is essentially the same for random writes. The problem drive is a 14TB WD Red Plus in a USB enclosure (specifically Sabrent EC-KSL3) in case anyone was wondering or notices a similar issue. The other drives are just normal external hard drives that are still in their original enclosure.

Anyways I guess I could write a post-processing script for that. Thanks for the suggestion!