Update to 3.7.1 (Portable 32bit and legacy) not working w/win7

Report & discuss bugs found in SABnzbd
Forum rules
Help us help you:
  • Are you using the latest stable version of SABnzbd? Downloads page.
  • Tell us what system you run SABnzbd on.
  • Adhere to the forum rules.
  • Do you experience problems during downloading?
    Check your connection in Status and Interface settings window.
    Use Test Server in Config > Servers.
    We will probably ask you to do a test using only basic settings.
  • Do you experience problems during repair or unpacking?
    Enable +Debug logging in the Status and Interface settings window and share the relevant parts of the log here using [ code ] sections.
lou ping

Update to 3.7.1 (Portable 32bit and legacy) not working w/win7

Post by lou ping »

Hello,
I'm still using windows 7 for as long as I can.
For SABnzbd I had to update many times with "Windows Portable (32bit and legacy)", and so far it worked fine.
But with the last update 3.7.1 it can't be launched. I have an error message.
It seems my screenshot doesn want to show... Nothing to help...
It says
Unhandled exception in script
Fail to execute script 'pyi_rth_win32comgenpy' due to unhandledexception: DLL load failed while importing Win32api: La procedure spécifiée est introuvabe (French)
safihre
Administrator
Administrator

Re: Update to 3.7.1 (Portable 32bit and legacy) not working w/win7

Post by safihre »

I am not able to reproduce this.
I downloaded a Windows 7 SP1 VM from Microsoft (they offer those) and right away the 32bit version runs: https://imgur.com/a/lCmXtbH
Not sure what updates they have installed, but seems not super recent.
Only extra packages I can see is .NET Framework 4.7.1, besides that it seems a completely clean machine.

So I am unable to help..
If you like our support, check our special newsserver deal or donate at: https://sabnzbd.org/donate
lou ping

Post by lou ping »

Thanks for trying Safihre !

I forgot to say I'm running Windows 7 64 bits... (Only I use the 32 bits version of SABnzbd for legacy)
I don't know if it changes something?
I think the SP1 VM you took should be the same as mine. Only yours is "fresh" and mine is an old constantly updated one.
If it can help, here is the url of my full screenshot : https://freeimage.host/i/HI8ziCB
(it doesn't show in img mode)
lou ping

Post by lou ping »

I guess I have to update to NZBGet...
safihre
Administrator
Administrator

Post by safihre »

Only thing that could maybe still be the case is that your virusscanner is maybe blocking some of the Dll's that SABnzbd needs.

And maybe it's time to update your OS to a supported one 😉
If you like our support, check our special newsserver deal or donate at: https://sabnzbd.org/donate
lou ping

Post by lou ping »

Well... I won't update to win 10 on this Computer. I did on others. And no way to go to Win11 with my equipment.
Win7 ultimate is still supported. Just abandonned by many software, like SABnzbd...
My virus Scanner is Microsoft SE...
I have no problem to switch back to 3.7.0... No DLL missing. No problem at all.
But I'm annoyed to see the blue reminder to upgrade to 3.7.1 when I can't!
eriji

Post by eriji »

safihre: I've got the same problem as 'lou ping' with Windows 10 32 bit.

When I did the normal upgrade by downloading the zip, unzipping, shutting down SABnzbd, and copying the files over to the existing Program Files directory, I get the same exact error that lou ping did. (failed to execute script 'pyi_rth_win32comgenpy' due to unhandled exception: dll load failed while importing win32api)

When I copied the 3.7.0 files to the Program Files directory, SABnzbd worked again.

I looked up the error on the web, and it seems to be a somewhat common error when there are problems with the Python installation. The solutions given didn't make sense to me because I don't use Python, so I couldn't see a clear solution. I did compare the two zip files, and all the files in the 3.7.0 zip are present in the 3.7.1 zip. The folders for 9 of the distributions are named differently due to the version upgrades. Example: pytz-2022.5.dist-info vs pytz-2022.6.dist-info folders. Maybe there is a pointer to an incorrect directory for Win32api?

As has lou ping, I've been doing the "copy all the files in the zip over" procedure for a number of years since the 32-bit installer was discontinued and never had a single problem. This is the first.

So there does seem to be some issue with the 3.7.1 update in how the Python-supporting files are built.

Please let us know if you see a fix.

Thank you!
lou ping

Post by lou ping »

Thanks eriji!
I hope someone of good will look into the problem...
safihre
Administrator
Administrator

Post by safihre »

Ah maybe the problem is the 32bit part.. Since my test VM was 64bit.
@lou ping: How many bit is your Windows 7? 32 or 64?
lou ping

Post by lou ping »

@safihre: as said before
lou ping wrote: December 27th, 2022, 11:16 pm ...
I forgot to say I'm running Windows 7 64 bits... (Only I use the 32 bits version of SABnzbd for legacy)
I don't know if it changes something?
I think the SP1 VM you took should be the same as mine. Only yours is "fresh" and mine is an old constantly updated one.
ratschefummel

Post by ratschefummel »

Exact same issue. But with a Win 10 32bit VM. Also started when going from 3.7.0 to 3.7.1 32 bit legacy install. Reverting to 3.7.0 does away with the error again.

Code: Select all

ImportError: DLL load failed while importing win32api: The specified procedure could not be found.
[8112] Failed to execute script 'pyi_rth_win32comgenpy' due to unhandled exception!
P.S.: Trying to paste the complete traceback but getting a message "new users are not allowed to post links". So I had to omit the first few lines of the traceback.
ratschefummel

Post by ratschefummel »

Just want to bring this back to the top. I'm still on 3.7.0 and am unable to update to 3.7.1 on my Windows 10 32 bit VM due to the above issue. Thanks! :)
Puzzled

Post by Puzzled »

Uninstall SABnzbd and then search your entire computer for pywintypes*.dll and pythoncom*.dll. If you find any then delete them if you can. To post the error, put spaces around the dots.
ratschefummel

Post by ratschefummel »

Puzzled wrote: February 8th, 2023, 3:20 pm Uninstall SABnzbd and then search your entire computer for pywintypes*.dll and pythoncom*.dll. If you find any then delete them if you can. To post the error, put spaces around the dots.
Nice! That was it -- there was a pywintypes and a pythoncom dll file in the SABnzbd directory. Removing them made 3.7.2 work for me. Reason for those legacy files being there was that I unpacked each new version over the old one, never cleaning up any legacy files. And since the 32 bit version doesn't have an installer anymore, it's basically all manual now.

I appreciate you pointing me in the right direction!
safihre
Administrator
Administrator

Post by safihre »

Ohhh yes.. You can't do that indeed (unpack over old directory)!