Synology: DSM or Container Manager install?

Feel free to talk about anything and everything in this board.
jumbum1

Synology: DSM or Container Manager install?

Post by jumbum1 »

I've been running SABnzbd happily for a some years now on an older Synology NAS, using the SynoCommunity install :-)
Now I'm about to start tinkering with a new DS1621+, and I'd like to make the best/most cleanSABnzbd install possible, possibly with the addition of Radarr and Sonarr, which is new country to me ...

However, when scouring the web on the subject, I get "Docker, Docker, Docker, Container Manager, Container Manager" all over the place, so I started wondering which way is actually the best, if I want the most hassle-free system running, also hopefully with the best speed the hardware can offer (I'm on a 1Gbit internet connection)?

Should I do the DSM SynoCommunity install again, or dive into installing via Container Manager? The latter looks a bit convoluted to my eyes, but perhaps there are advantages to this method, that I'm not aware of? I do love tinkering as much as the next guy, but I definitely have my limits too .... :D

Thanx in advance :-)
safihre
Administrator
Administrator

Re: Synology: DSM or Container Manager install?

Post by safihre »

Dockers offer a bit more security, because each application is seperated in its own container. However, this comes at a small performance impact.
Additionally, on Synology there's also the non standard permissions management that has to be dealt with that's harder with a Docker. But not impossible, as will probably be explained hy the guides online.
So both will probably work fine, there's many supporters of Docker but since I maintain the SynoCommunity package I of course say it's a great package 😄
If you like our support, check our special newsserver deal or donate at: https://sabnzbd.org/donate
sander
Release Testers
Release Testers

Post by sander »

SABnzbd in docker is ... a bit more secure, a bit less performance, a bit more work/complex.
jumbum1

Post by jumbum1 »

safihre wrote: October 15th, 2023, 3:50 am Dockers offer a bit more security, because each application is seperated in its own container. However, this comes at a small performance impact.
Additionally, on Synology there's also the non standard permissions management that has to be dealt with that's harder with a Docker. But not impossible, as will probably be explained hy the guides online.
So both will probably work fine, there's many supporters of Docker but since I maintain the SynoCommunity package I of course say it's a great package 😄
sander wrote: October 15th, 2023, 4:09 am SABnzbd in docker is ... morea bit secure, a bit less performance, a bit more work/complex.
Thanx so much, guys :-)

So, looks like I should just stick with a regular SynoCommunity install of both SABnzbd, Radarr and Sonarr, if the bit of added security using Docker/Container Manager isn't overly critical?

Interesting to see what kind of speeds I'll be getting on a DS1621+ with RAM upgrade and SSD read/write cache ;-)

I got some VPN I could run on there too, but actually never used it for SABnzbd stuff, as it is SSL encrypted, but perhaps the use of Radarr/Sonarr in tandem would make it a good idea after all? Thoughts on that? And any idea if the SABnzbd speed would suffer noticeably from running through VPN on Synology?
safihre
Administrator
Administrator

Post by safihre »

Yeah VPN's are almost always slowing things down.
You won't need it, since Sonarr uses HTTPS to connect to the indexers so nobody can see what you are getting. They can see that you are connecting to an indexer though.
If you like our support, check our special newsserver deal or donate at: https://sabnzbd.org/donate
jumbum1

Post by jumbum1 »

safihre wrote: October 17th, 2023, 3:32 am Yeah VPN's are almost always slowing things down.
You won't need it, since Sonarr uses HTTPS to connect to the indexers so nobody can see what you are getting. They can see that you are connecting to an indexer though.
Right. But I guess connecting to an indexer is not a crime per se, so maybe I'll just leave it then :-)