Directory permissions - linux

Get help with all aspects of SABnzbd
Forum rules
Help us help you:
  • Are you using the latest stable version of SABnzbd? Downloads page.
  • Tell us what system you run SABnzbd on.
  • Adhere to the forum rules.
  • Do you experience problems during downloading?
    Check your connection in Status and Interface settings window.
    Use Test Server in Config > Servers.
    We will probably ask you to do a test using only basic settings.
  • Do you experience problems during repair or unpacking?
    Enable +Debug logging in the Status and Interface settings window and share the relevant parts of the log here using [ code ] sections.
DrLucky

Directory permissions - linux

Post by DrLucky »

I have sabnzbd installed on arch linux.
It runs as its own user and uses /var/lib/sabnzbd as its base folder.

I am having permission issues.
I have added the sabnzbd user to my account's group and changed the permissions of my local Downloads folder, but sabnzbd still gives a permission error. (I am restarting the service with systemctl after each change).

I tried changing the config file at /usr/lib/systemd/system/sabnzbd.service to change the user and group to my user account, but then I lose access to browser-based sabnzbd via the localhost

I would like to resolve this so I can set the downloads directory to somewhere outside of the /var/lib/sabnzbd as well as set a watched directoryfor .nzb files.

Has anyone else ran into these sorts of user permission issues with sabnzbd on linux?
nikolausricky

Re: Directory permissions - linux

Post by nikolausricky »

If you're using Arch Linux, it appears that sabnzbd is giving you permission troubles. Such issues often arise when attempting to set up user permissions for individual apps or services.

The following are some possible actions to take in order to diagnose and fix the problem:

First, make that the sabnzbd user, or whoever is executing sabnzbd, has the right to own and write to the directories you're trying to access. To check who owns the directories and who has access to them, use the 'ls -l' command. Make sure the sabnzbd user owns the directories and has write permissions.

The second step is to add your user to the sabnzbd group. Make sure you've added your personal account correctly. Run the "groups" command and make sure your user account is in the "sabnzbd" group to confirm.