Less than stellar(slow...) download speeds in Docker or Package installation for SABnzbd... SLOW AF

Get help with all aspects of SABnzbd
Forum rules
Help us help you:
  • Are you using the latest stable version of SABnzbd? Downloads page.
  • Tell us what system you run SABnzbd on.
  • Adhere to the forum rules.
  • Do you experience problems during downloading?
    Check your connection in Status and Interface settings window.
    Use Test Server in Config > Servers.
    We will probably ask you to do a test using only basic settings.
  • Do you experience problems during repair or unpacking?
    Enable +Debug logging in the Status and Interface settings window and share the relevant parts of the log here using [ code ] sections.
nichetcher

Less than stellar(slow...) download speeds in Docker or Package installation for SABnzbd... SLOW AF

Post by nichetcher »

So I've got a Synology 916+ w/INTEL Pentium N3710, 8GB RAM, and 2x4TB SSD - Using Docker(container) SABnzbd and getting suboptimal speeds for downloads.

- ISP speeds confirmed with speedtest docker gets 900Mbps up and down 99% of the time.
- 10GB file test in SABnzbd gets between 64MBps and 72MBps.
- Pystone test:
System load 0.17 | 0.28 | 0.67 | V=135M R=58M
Download speed limited by Disk speed (63x)
System performance (Pystone) 86664 Intel(R) Pentium(R) CPU N3710 @ 1.60GHz SSE2
Download folder speed 99.2 MB/s /incomplete-downloads
Complete folder speed 102.1 MB/s /downloads
Internet Bandwidth 106.9 MB/s 855.2 Mbps
- I've tried allowing more connections to see if the number would go up, but even with 100 connections to astraweb it doesn't increase the speed.

No clue why. I have another NAS on a different network that's getting my full bandwidth just fine, but this one just won't.
safihre
Administrator
Administrator

Re: Less than stellar(slow...) download speeds in Docker or Package installation for SABnzbd... SLOW AF

Post by safihre »

The issue is shown, the download speed is reduced because it can't write to disk fast enough. Maybe the disks are slow?

Or DSM isn't allowing SABnzbd to use more capacity. Or maybe there's some cloning active?
If you like our support, check our special newsserver deal or donate at: https://sabnzbd.org/donate
nichetcher

Re: Less than stellar(slow...) download speeds in Docker or Package installation for SABnzbd... SLOW AF

Post by nichetcher »

Thank you for that! How on earth would write speed to an SSD be slow?! Can you please refer me to a possible setting in the NAS to help?
sander
Release Testers
Release Testers

Post by sander »

nichetcher wrote: January 22nd, 2024, 9:54 am So I've got a Synology 916+ w/INTEL Pentium N3710, 8GB RAM, and 2x4TB SSD - Using Docker(container) SABnzbd and getting suboptimal speeds for downloads.

- ISP speeds confirmed with speedtest docker gets 900Mbps up and down 99% of the time.
- Pystone test:
- I've tried allowing more connections to see if the number would go up, but even with 100 connections to astraweb it doesn't increase the speed.

No clue why. I have another NAS on a different network that's getting my full bandwidth just fine, but this one just won't.
You do know 900 Mbps is about 110 MB/s? Bits versus bytes?
So 72 MB/s for your 10GB is not too bad. Do a test with the 1GB and I expect a higher speed, because it probably fits in your RAM.
Also: if on, turn off DirectUnpack.

Your Pystone CPU performance is low (86.000), but not bad for a 2016 Pentium CPU.
nichetcher

Post by nichetcher »

sander wrote: January 22nd, 2024, 10:31 am
nichetcher wrote: January 22nd, 2024, 9:54 am So I've got a Synology 916+ w/INTEL Pentium N3710, 8GB RAM, and 2x4TB SSD - Using Docker(container) SABnzbd and getting suboptimal speeds for downloads.

- Pystone test:

You do know 900 Mbps is about 110 MB/s? Bits versus bytes?
So 72 MB/s for your 10GB is not too bad. Do a test with the 1GB and I expect a higher speed, because it probably fits in your RAM.
Also: if on, turn off DirectUnpack.

Your Pystone CPU performance is low (86.000), but not bad for a 2016 Pentium CPU.
Thank you for replying! I just tested after disabling direct unpack, and even at 1GB the speed hovers around 70MB. I wouldn't care about getting less than what my ISP promised, but on the same network and not on this NAS I can achieve the full 110MB+ up and down. I'm simply trying to optimize as much as possible. It would be nice to get the advertised speeds. That being said, I think it may be an SSD TRIM issue from other things I'm reading which is funny because that might mean that my choice to use 4TB SSDs rather than HDDs has caused my speeds to decrease which is the opposite of what I was trying to achieve! HAHA
nichetcher

Post by nichetcher »

safihre wrote: January 22nd, 2024, 10:14 am The issue is shown, the download speed is reduced because it can't write to disk fast enough. Maybe the disks are slow?

Or DSM isn't allowing SABnzbd to use more capacity. Or maybe there's some cloning active?
Thank you for that! How on earth would write speed to an SSD be slow?! Can you please refer me to a possible setting in the NAS to help?
sander
Release Testers
Release Testers

Post by sander »

but on the same network and not on this NAS I can achieve the full 110MB+ up and down
And there you have the proof all is well outside your NAS, and thus your NAS is the bottleneck: CPU, Disk, docker. If you post the specs of that 110MB+ download machine, you have the answer.

Your Synology 916+ w/INTEL Pentium N3710 is from 2016, so 8 years old hardware. If 8 year old medium-spec hardware would perform stellar, NAS businesses would be out of business! :)
nichetcher

Post by nichetcher »

sander wrote: January 22nd, 2024, 10:53 am
but on the same network and not on this NAS I can achieve the full 110MB+ up and down
And there you have the proof all is well outside your NAS, and thus your NAS is the bottleneck: CPU, Disk, docker. If you post the specs of that 110MB+ download machine, you have the answer.

Your Synology 916+ w/INTEL Pentium N3710 is from 2016, so 8 years old hardware. If 8 year old medium-spec hardware would perform stellar, NAS businesses would be out of business! :)
So true haha! Planned obsolescence is a real thing! Now I did forget to mention that with the docker speedtest I'm getting my full gig speed even on the NAS. Would that still mean the NAS isn't salvagable in a sense? I mean, it seems odd that download speeds would be affected, but not for the speedtests. I have ran 300+ speedtests over a couple months and it's consistently right about 1Gbps up and down. I'm thinking the real issue here is an SSD one and not the NAS, but apart from buying a few HDDs I don't think I'll be able to determine that.
sander
Release Testers
Release Testers

Post by sander »

Your SABnzbd Internet speed reports the same high value as your docker speedtest: "Internet Bandwidth 106.9 MB/s 855.2 Mbps".

So pure Internet speed is not the problem.
nichetcher

Post by nichetcher »

sander wrote: January 22nd, 2024, 12:38 pm Your SABnzbd Internet speed reports the same high value as your docker speedtest: "Internet Bandwidth 106.9 MB/s 855.2 Mbps".

So pure Internet speed is not the problem.
Right on. Have you ever heard of SSDs in a Synology being slow? It just seems really odd to me.
sander
Release Testers
Release Testers

Post by sander »

You could read https://mariushosting.com/synology-how- ... our-disks/

But ... your questions are not about SABnzbd. SABnzbd just reports it as it experiences it. So if you want to discuss your Synology hardware performance further, better go to a Synology forum