permissions shift from 4.0.0 to 4.2.2

Get help with all aspects of SABnzbd
Forum rules
Help us help you:
  • Are you using the latest stable version of SABnzbd? Downloads page.
  • Tell us what system you run SABnzbd on.
  • Adhere to the forum rules.
  • Do you experience problems during downloading?
    Check your connection in Status and Interface settings window.
    Use Test Server in Config > Servers.
    We will probably ask you to do a test using only basic settings.
  • Do you experience problems during repair or unpacking?
    Enable +Debug logging in the Status and Interface settings window and share the relevant parts of the log here using [ code ] sections.
rhombus

permissions shift from 4.0.0 to 4.2.2

Post by rhombus »

dsm 7.2
container manager (docker)
linuxserver images
PUID and PGID set
completed download permissions is blank
umask is not set
has been working with sonarr for a very long time

in 4.0.0 newly downloaded files had the owner set to the PUID, and then the PUID, PGID, and Everyone, would be explicitly added with custom permissions (read/most of write except delete), and none of the inherited permissions would be there any more - that worked well enough for my purposes, sonarr could pick it up and move it, and users could see it under the final destination. the owner wasnt what i wanted but it wasnt a big deal (all my media automation containers run under the same PUID anyway)

when i upgrade to sab 4.2.2 newly downloaded files have the PUID as owner, but only the PUID with those custom permissions, and no inherited permissions. sonarr can still move it to the end location, but none of the users can see it any more because the inherited permissions are no longer there, and neither is the everyone group (which was what allowing it to work under 4.0.0)

obviously theres a permissions/config issue in there somewhere, but i dont have enough knowledge about linux permissions and how those interact with docker and dsm to work out what to do - plus the transmission container has no issues with this - its newly downloaded files have the PUID set as owner but no permissions are set on any files it downloads, and they all have the inherited permissions.

so my question is how do i get sab to not touch the normal permissions? i dont care if it wants to be the owner, i can live with that, but i need it to not touch the permissions, or remove the inherited permissions, for newly downloaded files (or the extracted files either)?

failing that is there anything i can do at the dsm folder permissions level? docker config? or the umask thing?

i've rolled the sab image back to 4.0.0 as a workaround until i can find a fix.
Last edited by rhombus on February 21st, 2024, 2:27 am, edited 1 time in total.
safihre
Administrator
Administrator

Re: permissions shift from 4.0.0 to 4.2.2

Post by safihre »

It doesn't set any permissions if you leave the Permissions field empty.
So maybe it's in the Config of the Docker? They also have a section for these ID'S in the command line.
If you like our support, check our special newsserver deal or donate at: https://sabnzbd.org/donate
rhombus

Post by rhombus »

sab shows completed folder permissions as empty, always has been.

i double checked the ini file just in case as well and its empty in there

Code: Select all

[misc]
permissions = ""
the sab part of the yaml project file has the IDs already - and they are correct (all the containers use the same IDs)

Code: Select all

sabnzbd:
   image: linuxserver/sabnzbd:4.0.0

container_name: sabnzbd
   restart: unless-stopped
   mem_limit: 2048m
   ports:
    - "32500:8080"
    - "32509:9090"
   volumes:
    - /volume1/docker/sabnzbd/config:/config
    - /volume1/data/media:/media
   environment:
    - VERSION=latest
    - TZ=Australia/Sydney
    - PUID=1028
    - PGID=65536
   networks:
    - media
if sab isnt setting any permissions what else could be setting them? sab is the only thing running in that container.
safihre
Administrator
Administrator

Post by safihre »

This happens to all the files you download? Even the 100MB test download in the Status window?
We had some reports of 7zip doing weird things, but not unrar.
If you like our support, check our special newsserver deal or donate at: https://sabnzbd.org/donate
rhombus

Post by rhombus »

the 100mb test is fine, owner set but no explicit permissions, only inherited
i'll bump it back up to 4.2.2 and see if its still the same with that
rhombus

Post by rhombus »

i should have double checked the file inside the 4.0.0 test. the folder is ok (owner and only inherited) so i didnt think to check the file itself, the bin file has PUID/PGID/Everyone with permissions, no inherited ones.

with 4.2.2 the test download folder is the same as 4.0.0 now (has inherited permissions), but the the bin file has the issue, set permissions (no inherited ones).

if i pick a tv show to manually download the folder gets set permissions (no inherited ones) along with the file itself, so there is a difference in there.

im unsure why 4.2.2 is now putting the Everyone group in there, but if it keeps doing that then i can live with it, but theres still something wonky going on. and i'd really prefer to work out what as it would be way better to have no permissions set on the files (just inherited ones)