Need some help with sabnzbdplus on Ubuntu 22.04

Support for the Debian/Ubuntu package, created by JCFP.
Forum rules
Help us help you:
  • Are you using the latest stable version of SABnzbd? Downloads page.
  • Tell us what system you run SABnzbd on.
  • Adhere to the forum rules.
  • Do you experience problems during downloading?
    Check your connection in Status and Interface settings window.
    Use Test Server in Config > Servers.
    We will probably ask you to do a test using only basic settings.
  • Do you experience problems during repair or unpacking?
    Enable +Debug logging in the Status and Interface settings window and share the relevant parts of the log here using [ code ] sections.
sastek

Need some help with sabnzbdplus on Ubuntu 22.04

Post by sastek »

Hi, I'm hoping someone can steer me in the right direction here.

A couple of years ago I setup sab on a Ubuntu 20 VPS. Everything ran great until I upgraded to 22.04 yesterday, then sab stopped working.

I was going to just try uninstalling sabnzbdplus and reinstall it again, but when I try to remove it with "apt remove sabnzbdplus" I get an error saying Package 'sabnzbdplus' is not installed, so not removed. Now I was convinced that I had used the recommended JCFP method to install sabnzbdplus, I have the jcfp repository installed, and the init file /etc/init.d/sabnzbdplus contents says copyright jcfp. So now I'm wondering how I actually installed it back then and why I can't uninstall it now.

Some other info on the problem is that "systemctl status sabnzbdplus" says that it is running, but I can't connect with a browser, and there is nothing in the sabnzbd.log since yesterday. So it looks like it isn't actually running right.

Can anyone advise me on how to proceed here? There may be a simple solution, but I'm not hugely competent with Ubuntu, especially when it's something I did years ago.
sander
Release Testers
Release Testers

Re: Need some help with sabnzbdplus on Ubuntu 22.04

Post by sander »

What is the output of:

Code: Select all

sudo ps -ef | grep -i sabnzbd
jcfp
Release Testers
Release Testers

Post by jcfp »

Doing ubuntu upgrades the official way disables third-party repositories such as PPAs as a precaution, and they may well choose to remove packages installed from there as well. The files under /etc are considered configuration files and remain on the system after uninstalling the package that put them there. And by design, the init.d will handle that situation gracefully, which in turn can make it appear as if systemd is saying the program should be runnning even though it isn't.

Long story short: you probably just need to redo the ppa setup and install sabnzbdplus - then it all works again, system service and your old settings included.
sastek

Post by sastek »

Thanks jcfp, that was my problem. I'll need to try to remember that for the upcoming ubuntu 24 release.

Everything is working fine again, except that I'm now getting an error " Exit(127): /usr/bin/env: ‘python’: No such file or directory" I assume that's a problem with nzbToMedia and python versions
jcfp
Release Testers
Release Testers

Post by jcfp »

Plain "python" refers to python2 in every mainstream linux distribution, which has been replaced by python3 by now. You'll have to fix or update whatever scripts your setup uses.
sastek

Post by sastek »

Yeah thanks, I've got it fixed.