Windows 10 x64 Autostart, 4.2.3 (latest) install

Get help with all aspects of SABnzbd
Forum rules
Help us help you:
  • Are you using the latest stable version of SABnzbd? Downloads page.
  • Tell us what system you run SABnzbd on.
  • Adhere to the forum rules.
  • Do you experience problems during downloading?
    Check your connection in Status and Interface settings window.
    Use Test Server in Config > Servers.
    We will probably ask you to do a test using only basic settings.
  • Do you experience problems during repair or unpacking?
    Enable +Debug logging in the Status and Interface settings window and share the relevant parts of the log here using [ code ] sections.
magic144

Windows 10 x64 Autostart, 4.2.3 (latest) install

Post by magic144 »

Discovered today that I have SABnzbd.lnk in BOTH shell:common startup AND shell:startup folders. As such, it also shows up TWICE in the Windows 10 Startup Apps System Settings GUI list.

I'm not sure what happens if an app is in BOTH locations - will Windows try and run the app TWICE every startup? My guess is that it exists in both places due to historic installs over multiple versions over time.

By deleting the shortcut/lnk from BOTH paths and re-installing (over top), I see that ONLY the shell:common startup folder gets (re-)populated. Is that the one and only place it should exist with a clean install these days? I've left it like that for now (ONLY 1 link present).

Curiously, ONLY if it exists in the (other) shell:common folder, does the auto-start checkbox in the GUI installer get auto-populated, which seems contradictory to the location that is actually populated by the installer now.

Just looking for some clarification on what the current situation is supposed to be with regard to the auto-start setup in W10.
magic144

Re: Windows 10 x64 Autostart, 4.2.3 (latest) install

Post by magic144 »

PS - I did a quick test with a test.bat file linked (.lnk) to BOTH of the shell autorun locations identified above
it seems that it DOES run the linked file TWICE (one from each location) on login
so it is almost certain that I wouldn't want SABnzbd.lnk in BOTH
safihre
Administrator
Administrator

Post by safihre »

It will only start once.
It should be in shell:startup only, and that's what I see happening on my system.
If you like our support, check our special newsserver deal or donate at: https://sabnzbd.org/donate
magic144

Post by magic144 »

ok thanks

it definitely ONLY populates "shell:common startup" on my system whenever I install over-the-top, or uninstall (keep settings) and re-install

if I remove BOTH prior to install/re-install, it only populates the common dir
if I already have it in shell:startup prior to re-install, it still (additionally) populates the common dir

it removes BOTH on uninstall

don't know if there's an installer log anywhere I can use to show you what's happening? there must be some logic in the installer that is deciding/favouring where it goes...
safihre
Administrator
Administrator

Post by safihre »

Ah I understand now. It seems there is a fault in the logic for checking the box. The NSIS installer language is quite a pain to work on..
Will work on a fix.
If you like our support, check our special newsserver deal or donate at: https://sabnzbd.org/donate
magic144

Post by magic144 »

I assume it's also something to do with this (the reason why SABnzbd.lnk is going into the common startup location), but I haven't dived into it much
https://github.com/sabnzbd/sabnzbd/blob ... r.nsi#L192

But I see you've already changed the checkbox logic, so that will probably correctly pick up the shortcut, wherever it is located :)

I scripted something in NSIS precisely once. I feel your pain.
safihre
Administrator
Administrator

Post by safihre »

The code was changed recently to install everything in common, so both the detection was wrong but also the removal from non-common was wrong.
magic144

Post by magic144 »

thanks for looking at this, plus the details and history
PandaWill

Post by PandaWill »

magic144 wrote: April 19th, 2024, 9:00 am thanks for looking at this, plus the details and history
The admins here are the best, they are definietly worthy and DEDICATED, love to see it and gotta love it when it happens to you