Downloads not finishing when disabling some of the servers

Report & discuss bugs found in SABnzbd
Forum rules
Help us help you:
  • Are you using the latest stable version of SABnzbd? Downloads page.
  • Tell us what system you run SABnzbd on.
  • Adhere to the forum rules.
  • Do you experience problems during downloading?
    Check your connection in Status and Interface settings window.
    Use Test Server in Config > Servers.
    We will probably ask you to do a test using only basic settings.
  • Do you experience problems during repair or unpacking?
    Enable +Debug logging in the Status and Interface settings window and share the relevant parts of the log here using [ code ] sections.
FCrane

Downloads not finishing when disabling some of the servers

Post by FCrane »

Hi!

I'm using v4.3.1 under Windows 11 and in the past few versions, I've noticed that downloads will not finish if during download I disable a server. I have configured 2 servers, same provider but one with 12 connections ("Fast") and one with just 2 connections ("Slow"). usually, both are enabled so 14 connections are active at the same time. When I need bandwidth for something else (mostly if my children want to play something on their computers), I simply disable the "Fast" server with an API call, leaving just the "Slow" 2 connections.

Whenever I do that, the current download will NEVER finish! it seems the part that was just downloading when the server was disabled, never switches to the other server and is stuck! The download is always stuck at 99%.

Sabnzbd continues downloading other queue items just fine (with the remaining 2 enabled connections), but the first one never finishes. I need to restart Sabnzbd - only then it will finish the stuck download. Forcing disconnect and pause / resume does not help either - it must be a complete restart.

I would enclose some screenshots, but the stupid forum here does not even allow attaching images - pfff, please switch to a better forum software...

It would be nice if this issue could be fixed, because it's pretty annoying (and started only a few versions ago, until then it never happened).

Regards!
safihre
Administrator
Administrator

Re: Downloads not finishing when disabling some of the servers

Post by safihre »

Could are probably right. Our article tracking is deliberately not 100% accurate, because it's much faster this way. We have a mechanism that should check every 90 seconds for such hanging jobs and forcefully resume them.
Could you pause all jobs in the queue, enable Debug logging in the Status window, then download the 1000mb test download while disabling the server as you described.
Wait at least 5 minutes after it's stuck. Then click Show Logging in the Status window. You can send the log to me at [email protected]

We have extreme problems with spammers using every tool available to break through any protection we add, so we have very strict rules for new users unfortunately. Only thing that helps.
If you like our support, check our special newsserver deal or donate at: https://sabnzbd.org/donate
FCrane

Post by FCrane »

This is not happening always, for some reason... Also it happened today when switching from "Pause" to 1 server. Seems to be dependent on when exactly a part is resumed, which connection to which server it used, etc. Getting a debug log catching the issue will not be easy, because the whole queue item will only be stuck at the end of its download, when all other parts except the stuck one have been downloaded completely...

Maybe this info helps: when a download is stuck, some part (e.g. part032 of 250 will be stuck at 99%, all others (before and after) are downloaded completely. When restarting Sabnzbd, it immediately resumes the stuck part and then starts "direct unpacking" from the beginning (although it reported direct unpacking before getting stuck).

Very strange, but It can not be hard to detect if a part is stuck and the program continued to download other items in the queue...
safihre
Administrator
Administrator

Post by safihre »

Yes it's actually hard, because of the other valid reasons why an article is still retrying.
Trying it a few times with the 100MB test download might work.
If you like our support, check our special newsserver deal or donate at: https://sabnzbd.org/donate
FCrane

Post by FCrane »

Ok, I've check with the 1000MB test file and during download, I cycled a few times between pause, 2 servers and 1 server (with API calls from a RainMeter skin). part04 got stuck at 94% and never finished. The whole queue item got stuck at 99% (all other parts than part04 downloaded completely). I've sent the log file to you per email!
FCrane

Post by FCrane »

One strange thing: log file says: "SABnzbd.exe-4.1.0RC2" but it is actually " 4.3.1 [41de133]" on the settings page...