New TV show tracker and downloader: TVSeriesNzb

Got a program that plays well with SABnzbd? Share it here!
emilb

New TV show tracker and downloader: TVSeriesNzb

Post by emilb »

Hi!

I'm a new user of SABnzbd (coming from hellanzb) and I like it very much so far. Together with the plugin to Firefox it is simply unbeatable!

I've written a small app that keeps track of all the TV shows I like to watch and automatically downloads them via SABnzbd. Simple setup and CLI. Check it out if you want:
http://github.com/emilb/TvSeriesNZB/downloads

Installation instructions:
http://wiki.github.com/emilb/TvSeriesNZ ... -and-setup

Keep up the good work!

rgds

Emil
Last edited by emilb on May 21st, 2009, 12:28 pm, edited 1 time in total.
mattgoody

Re: New TV show tracker and downloader: TVSeriesNzb

Post by mattgoody »

There is something like this (from what i can tell) over in the post processing forum. You might find that interesting as well.
rascalli

Post by rascalli »

Does this need to be installed on the server/computer that runs sabnzbd+ ?

Does this also work on linux ?

It looks like the same as : http://two-sided.com/
What is the difference between your app and that one ?

Does it keep track of what I already downloaded ?
Last edited by rascalli on May 21st, 2009, 12:32 am, edited 1 time in total.
emilb

Post by emilb »

Hi,

the application can be run on any computer, it communicates with SABnzbd via the API (i.e. http calls). It's a Java app so it runs on any java capable machine.

I'm running it on my linux server once a day (via a cron entry). There is no GUI, just a configuration file and an XML file that contains the shows you want to follow. I'ts fairly smart, it will remember the latest episode downloaded and will automatically understand when a new season has started.

I took a look at two-sided.com and the programs are very similar. NZB-TV has a polished look and runs on MS. If you, like me, prefer to use command-line apps maybe TVSeriesNZB is the way to go.
jubei
Release Testers
Release Testers

Post by jubei »

Stupid question...how do you start the .jar file in OS X?

EDIT
nvm, had to change my file association from Springy to JAR Launcher....playing with the app now, thanks for your help!
Last edited by jubei on May 21st, 2009, 8:42 am, edited 1 time in total.
jubei
Release Testers
Release Testers

Post by jubei »

getting errors that it cannot contact my SABNZBD server...

Code: Select all

2009-05-21 09:45:44,657 DEBUG              Sabnzbd - Instructing SABnzbd to download newzbin id: 4981684 to: http://192.168.0.138:2020/sabnzbd/
2009-05-21 09:45:44,665 ERROR              Sabnzbd - SABnzbd reported an error, check your configuration! Message from SABnzbd: <!DOCTYPE html PUBLIC "-//W3C//DTD XHTML 1.0 
then later on in the log....

Code: Select all

TypeError: index() got an unexpected keyword argument 'apikey'
I've triple checked my config file(s) and the API key is there as well as my login info!
rascalli

Post by rascalli »

emilb wrote: Hi,

the application can be run on any computer, it communicates with SABnzbd via the API (i.e. http calls). It's a Java app so it runs on any java capable machine.

I'm running it on my linux server once a day (via a cron entry). There is no GUI, just a configuration file and an XML file that contains the shows you want to follow. I'ts fairly smart, it will remember the latest episode downloaded and will automatically understand when a new season has started.

I took a look at two-sided.com and the programs are very similar. NZB-TV has a polished look and runs on MS. If you, like me, prefer to use command-line apps maybe TVSeriesNZB is the way to go.
OK that sounds good , as I want to turn of my pc , but hate it that in the morning latest shows are not downloaded ;-) (I run NZB-TV on my PC , and that sends the nzb's to my linux download server)

So might give it a try when I have some time to set it up. (guess I'll set cron to like every 2-3 hours ;-)
emilb

Post by emilb »

jubei,

I think I see the problem. Make sure that you specify the sabnzbd url like:

sabnzbd.url=http://192.168.0.138:2020/sabnzbd/api

Notice the /api at the end. Sorry, bad documentation on my part. Will fix better docs for this. Hope it works now, otherwise get back to me!

/Emil
emilb

New version: TVSeriesNzb-0.2

Post by emilb »

Just wanted to notify any users of this app that I have released a new version - 0.2.

Can be downloaded here: http://github.com/emilb/TvSeriesNZB/downloads

New stuff:
- changed stdoutput to minimal info. If there's nothing to download it will just exit. (My mailbox was getting filled at every cron-job telling me there was nothing new to download).
- minor issues with episode air-dates from tvrage fixed (not yet aired shows had a date of 0000-00-00)
- added some CLI parameters for testing (see below).

You may now start the app with one of three flags:

java -jar tvseriesnzb-0.2.jar -h

usage: tvseriesnzb
-c,--check-configuration  Test SABnzbd integration and parsing of
                            shows.xml with TVRage lookups
-d,--dry-run              Dry run, do everything except contact SABnzbd
                            and won't update shows.xml
-h,--help                  Print (this) help page

Use -c to check you configuration and validity of show.xml.
Use -d to make a dry run, i.e. make all searches and tell you what it wants to download but skip the actual download.

I'm now working on a version of this app that can download movies as well. It will be based on IMDB ratings and you will be able to specify what format, IMDB rating threshold, voting threshold, preferred genres/actors you like.

rgrds

/Emil
ontrose

Post by ontrose »

Hello there your app sounds much like something i would like to use, tho i´m a total newbie to java and scripting so having some issues getting this to work.
I filled in my url api and user/pw and thought i might just run the example show file so remamed it ofc and same with the conf file.
And it seams it finds the shows as it should but when it comes to sending the "nzbid" it can´t connect to sab.

Any insight on this matter would be much appriciated.

Regards Ontrose
emilb

Post by emilb »

Ho ontrose,

have you tried running the app in check mode? Like this:
java -jar tvseriesnzb-0.2.jar -c

The ouput should tell us more about what might be going wrong. I'm not using passwords myself so that part is not tested too much.

More info about what is going on can be read in the the tvseriesnzb.log file, check that aswell.

Rgds

Emil
ontrose

Post by ontrose »

Seams i got it to work now, but cant seam to download the right versions of the episodes i want it downloads hi rez versions instead of the "normal" xvid versions

TVCap
      Xvid
      English
      -a:sub~German -a:sub~French -a:sub~Dutch

So just thought that i guess i can type in Min MB and Max MB either in the extra search parameters, but dunno how to write the "code"
Or is it even doable? I just thought so since you can enter those parameters in your search  on newzbin i guess you should be able to use it in the app also?

Ah well get back to me if it can be done

Regards Ontrose
emilb

Post by emilb »

Hi,

I've researched newzbin's search parameters and they don't seem to support size searches via the normal search query (anyone else know if this is possible?).

It is however possible to specifly size limits in saved searches but I have no simple way of accessing them from my application.

From what I've seen it is not very common with high-res xvid releases now a days. Why not go for the 720p size which is slightly larger but much better quality?

/E
ontrose

Post by ontrose »

Well i'm usally downloading the xvid releses that are around 400mb's for a few reasons but primary lack of space my gf likes to keep the episodes for friends etc. and since we are toghter following 15ish diffrent shows the lack of space soon will be an issue. And since i´m downloading movies in xvid also and i can't say that i need better rez bought my plasma abit to early so it isn't hd.

Ah well tnx for looking into it tho i´ll keep an eye on your little app maby you will find a way to get it to work

//Ontrose
ontrose

Post by ontrose »

Hello there again, messed around abit with the show config file and think i got it to work atleast work as i wanted =)

It looks like this now removed all the "normal" settings and just used the extra settings and now it seams to work really nicely
onley downloads Xvid format, onley in English and not with the subs

Breaking bad

Attr:VideoFormat=XviD a:l=e -a:sub~German -a:sub~French -a:sub~Dutch

so tnx for a nice app =)

// Ontrose