Mysterious 150 kb/s limit?

Get help with all aspects of SABnzbd
Forum rules
Help us help you:
  • Are you using the latest stable version of SABnzbd? Downloads page.
  • Tell us what system you run SABnzbd on.
  • Adhere to the forum rules.
  • Do you experience problems during downloading?
    Check your connection in Status and Interface settings window.
    Use Test Server in Config > Servers.
    We will probably ask you to do a test using only basic settings.
  • Do you experience problems during repair or unpacking?
    Enable +Debug logging in the Status and Interface settings window and share the relevant parts of the log here using [ code ] sections.
Doodlesq

Mysterious 150 kb/s limit?

Post by Doodlesq »

I've been happily using SABnzbd + SABnzbdX for a few months now, but just the other day stumbled into a problem where it seems like the program doesn't want to download faster than 150 kb/s.

When I first start SAB after a reboot, I get my usual speed (~1200-1600k). The first time I change the speed limit to a high number I get a quick burst. After that it seems stuck at 150 kb/s.  I want the speed limit to be unlimited, just tinkering to figure out the problem. Other Usenet clients still get normal speed, so I don't think it's my connection. I tried uninstalling SABnzbdX, but the problem persists. So that's not it.

I can't find similar reports on the forums, so I'm sure I'm missing something obvious. Does anyone know what would be making the program limit itself to 150 kb/s?
Last edited by Doodlesq on May 30th, 2009, 11:38 am, edited 1 time in total.
Doodlesq

Re: Mysterious 150 kb/s limit?

Post by Doodlesq »

I had not noticed SABnzbdX's speed limit setting in preferences, only the 25%/50%/100% options in the toolbar. I changed that to 2000 (faster than my connection has ever gone) and did the same under general config. I can get a few seconds of glorious 1000k+ transfers, but it still goes back down to 150k. Very specific number.

Any other ideas?
shypike
Administrator
Administrator

Post by shypike »

Several ISP's have some kind of bandwidth regulation.
You get a boost during the first few seconds, after that the speed goes down.

Also, the speedometer of SABnzbd isn't always reliable.

Do you get other results with a different Usenet download software?
DeXeS
Release Testers
Release Testers

Post by DeXeS »

just to get it clear; does the speed limit from the program go back to 150kb per second or does the speedlimit is still on a much higher speedlimit but you can only download with 150kb per second with sab
Doodlesq

Post by Doodlesq »

The speed limit still says it's 2000 (or whatever), the program is just moving at 150 k.

I checked activity monitor, nothing else is using the connection.
Doodlesq

Post by Doodlesq »

I shut down Sab and tried Unison, and that got my regular speeds. So it's definitely a Sab-related issue.

UPDATE: Nevermind, Unison seems a little sluggish. Maybe it is the ISP. Hmmm that's probably much worse. I've been downloading a LOT and this problem just happened, so that would mean they flipped a switch over the past week.

Speedtest.net seems like it requires a PC (I'm on a Mac), but speakeasy.net/speedtest reports I can get 11885 kb/s down and 2029 up. Thoughts?
Last edited by Doodlesq on May 31st, 2009, 12:04 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Doodlesq

Post by Doodlesq »

Cablevision (in NY).