Media Rover

Got a program that plays well with SABnzbd? Share it here!
kierse

Media Rover

Post by kierse »

Hello fellow SABnzbd users!

I'd like to announce the public availability of a new companion application for SABnzbd: Media Rover!

Overview:

Media Rover is an automated TV download scheduler and catalogue maintainer.  It scans your filesystem and complies a list of watched TV series.  It then scours all configured newsgroup indexing sources looking for any missing episodes and schedules them for download with SABnzbd.  Once downloaded, Media Rover takes over and renames the file (according to a user specified naming pattern) and sorts the episode in the appropriate television series and season directory.

Media Rover is a collection of command line tools designed to run completely independent of user input or direction.  Currently, it sports the following features:
  • support for daily and series type episodes
  • support for multi-part episodes (ie. 1x01-1x02)
  • episode filtering support (ie. ignore specific seasons or entire series)
  • customizable renaming and sorting templates
  • support for several popular indexing services (currently: newzbin, tvnzb, mytvnzb, nzbs)
  • rich configuration options
Design:
  • designed from the ground up to be run as a cron job / scheduled task
  • modular design allows for easy addition of new indexing services.  It should also be possible to add support for additional binary newsgroup readers (ie. hellanzb)
  • platform independent (written in Python)
Future project goals:
  • add support for other popular indexing services
  • support downloading nzb's describing an entire season of TV
  • retrieve episode titles (for nzb's that don't contain such data) from third party sources (ie. thetvdb)
  • add support for identifying and filtering episodes of differing quality.  The eventual goal is to have Media Rover automatically download HD versions of existing SD content.
  • add support for downloading movies
Project:

http://mediarover.tv

Media Rover is open source software and is available under the conditions specified in the GNU General Public License (GPLv3).

Media Rover is still a very young project.  Nonetheless, it is quite stable and most definitely usable for your day-to-day downloading needs.  For more information, head on over to http://mediarover.tv.

Thanks,
Kierse

p.s. feel free to drop me a line if you run into any problems or if you have questions.  Also, I'm always open to suggestions so send me your ideas and feature requests!
Last edited by kierse on June 15th, 2009, 4:35 pm, edited 1 time in total.
rAf

Re: Media Rover

Post by rAf »

Thanks for sharing. I'll try as soon as I could.
rollingeyeball
Release Testers
Release Testers

Post by rollingeyeball »

I'm using it at the moment. Kierse likes to say 'early stages' but it's absolutely full functional.

Media Rover is fantastic, and it's only going to get better in my opinion.

:)
MC

*subscribed
markus101
Release Testers
Release Testers

Post by markus101 »

All I can say is wow - I've been using SABnzbd Smart Downloader since January or so (under its tv_rss name as well).

This is amazing work - it's great, took me a few tries to get the RSS feed working (my bad), but it's working great now.

One thing that would be useful (at least for my setup, because I'm booting Linux off of a USB key and /home is lost on reboot), would be to have Media Rover look in the folder the script exists in for the config file, as well as the default directory for the config file.

Again great work on this - looks like it will be my script of choice for auto-downloading shows now (some of the quirks in SSD make it easy to move over).

-Markus
Co-developer of NzbDrone (.Net NNTP PVR) - http://www.nzbdrone.com
rollingeyeball
Release Testers
Release Testers

Post by rollingeyeball »

Isn't it wonderful :D :D :D

The [source] section took me a few tries too. I actually emailed kierse and I got it all sorted.

Here's a short quote from Kierans reply email. I hope he doesn't mind.
In its current state, the configuration process has proved to be frustrating and difficult for many users.  In an effort to address this, I've started working on an interface that will allow the user to configure Media Rover without having to open an editor.

Finally, once you get Media Rover up and running, please send in feedback.  I'm open to any ideas you may have regarding potential features and capabilities.
jayman

Post by jayman »

This program looks great and would love to use it.  Very confusing though to a novice who doesn't know what he's doing.  Very much looking forward to easier configuration options.  Even if there were step-by-step instructions with examples it would be very helpful and I think would greatly expand the program's usership.
Last edited by jayman on July 5th, 2009, 9:26 am, edited 1 time in total.
jayman

Post by jayman »

can someone post their configuration file to give me an idea how to set mine up?  I'm sure I'm just missing something obvious...
rollingeyeball
Release Testers
Release Testers

Post by rollingeyeball »

http://pastebin.com/m462ff
That should work.

I have lots of unnecessary sources in there, so you get an idea.
jayman

Post by jayman »

thanks.  I will look at it again tonight.  I configured it and it seems to go through my directory of shows, for instance it's watching 26 shows and it is using my rss feeds.  Just to test it I added a folder to my library ie "example (omitted) 1x03" as I noticed that was one of the files on the rss.  However, I kept getting a python error.  It noticed that it was watching "example (omitted)" and that I didn't have any of the files in the series but for some reason it wouldn't download the video.  I tested it with another one and I kept getting the same python error on the cmd.  Anyone else have problems with this.  When I get home tonight I'll post the exact error and my config file.  thanks again.

One other question, is there a way to specify in the config file either file size or quality such as 720p?
rollingeyeball
Release Testers
Release Testers

Post by rollingeyeball »

One other question, is there a way to specify in the config file either file size or quality such as 720p?
Not yet :(. Hopefully Kierse will add it soon

What was the python error?
Last edited by rollingeyeball on July 8th, 2009, 12:50 pm, edited 1 time in total.
jayman

Post by jayman »

Here is the log.  Any ideas? :

"this part removed to adhere to forum rules"
Traceback (most recent call last):
 File "C:\Users\jay\Downloads\kierse-mediarover-01399cd2af4113d6ac4dfa537b40c0e7b10ebda4\kierse-mediarover-01399cd2af4113d6ac4dfa537b40c0e7b10ebda4\mediarover\__init__.py", line 96, in main
   _process(config, options, args)
 File "C:\Users\jay\Downloads\kierse-mediarover-01399cd2af4113d6ac4dfa537b40c0e7b10ebda4\kierse-mediarover-01399cd2af4113d6ac4dfa537b40c0e7b10ebda4\mediarover\__init__.py", line 362, in _process
   if queue.in_queue(episode):
 File "C:\Users\jay\Downloads\kierse-mediarover-01399cd2af4113d6ac4dfa537b40c0e7b10ebda4\kierse-mediarover-01399cd2af4113d6ac4dfa537b40c0e7b10ebda4\mediarover\queues\sabnzbd\queue.py", line 101, in in_queue
   for job in self.jobs():
 File "C:\Users\jay\Downloads\kierse-mediarover-01399cd2af4113d6ac4dfa537b40c0e7b10ebda4\kierse-mediarover-01399cd2af4113d6ac4dfa537b40c0e7b10ebda4\mediarover\queues\sabnzbd\queue.py", line 44, in jobs
   self.__get_document()
 File "C:\Users\jay\Downloads\kierse-mediarover-01399cd2af4113d6ac4dfa537b40c0e7b10ebda4\kierse-mediarover-01399cd2af4113d6ac4dfa537b40c0e7b10ebda4\mediarover\queues\sabnzbd\queue.py", line 162, in __get_document
   self.__document = xml.dom.minidom.parseString(data)
 File "C:\Python25\lib\xml\dom\minidom.py", line 1925, in parseString
   return expatbuilder.parseString(string)
 File "C:\Python25\lib\xml\dom\expatbuilder.py", line 940, in parseString
   return builder.parseString(string)
 File "C:\Python25\lib\xml\dom\expatbuilder.py", line 223, in parseString
   parser.Parse(string, True)
ExpatError: syntax error: line 1, column 0
Last edited by jayman on July 8th, 2009, 8:18 pm, edited 1 time in total.
jayman

Post by jayman »

ok.  I figured it out.  I had put around the api key.  thanks for your help.  On sabnzbd, where should I point the scripts folder to and do I have to point them anywhere?  There are two script folders in mediarover.  Also, is there a way to configure it so that daily shows will be saved as SxxExx format instead of by date?  This program is awesome by the way.
Last edited by jayman on July 8th, 2009, 8:19 pm, edited 1 time in total.
rollingeyeball
Release Testers
Release Testers

Post by rollingeyeball »

Regarding the script folders.. Yeah, point SAB at where the folder containing the sorting script is.

http://kierse.github.com/mediarover/
Look at the sorting bits

Not sure on daily shows. I'm actually having a bit of trouble with them myself.
There are often reposts of the same show, under both daily format and SXXXEXXX format on newzbin. That screws things up, So I'd like a way to force daily shows to only download daily formatted nzbs/titles
jayman

Post by jayman »

here's another issue.  Any rss feed from newzbin for some reason the shows folders end up with underscores ie "the_melancholy" instead of "the melancholy".  I've confirmed this by using mytvnzb feed which doesn't produce underscores and with tvnzb.  Man, I hate underscores.  I feel like I'm in the movie Tron.
rollingeyeball
Release Testers
Release Testers

Post by rollingeyeball »

That's configurable with the .conf file.

Read it carefully :)