Free Newsservers

Feel free to talk about anything and everything in this board.
Flesh-Dryer

Re: Free Newsservers

Post by Flesh-Dryer »

actually eweka is running just fine for me right now... and i'm using 5 connections w/ it.
Shepardos

Post by Shepardos »

Eweaka (news.ipv6.eweka.nl) and the best one (reader.ipv6.xsnews.nl) are not working :'(

Thread [email protected]:119: timed out
Thread [email protected]:119: timed out

Are there some other IPv6 Newsbin servers which are working?

The only one I found is newszilla6.xs4all.nl
MageMinds
Release Testers
Release Testers

Post by MageMinds »

Same thing for me ... I use my ISP feed and newszilla6.xs4all.nl too, and I complete with astraweb paid block account as a backup server. Lets hope they come back soon...

I just read on the xsnews forum (thank to google traduction service) that their IPv6 service are under construction, the admin just sait that, no more details from him... There is hope...

MageMinds
Last edited by MageMinds on July 10th, 2009, 6:14 am, edited 1 time in total.
fatboynotsoslim

Post by fatboynotsoslim »

Its unofficial, but I'm hearing whispers that the free ipv6 servers have been stopped now, and/or that XSnews is just down...  :-\
Last edited by fatboynotsoslim on July 10th, 2009, 6:28 am, edited 1 time in total.
Shepardos

Post by Shepardos »

It is working again  :P

mod edit: hey dude, like, don't break the rules!
Last edited by Anonymous on July 10th, 2009, 11:56 am, edited 1 time in total.
MageMinds
Release Testers
Release Testers

Post by MageMinds »

Astraweb have a special offer Unlimited 20 connections account for 96$ per year, offer valid until 18th july.

http://www.news.astraweb.com/specials/96-yearly.html

I just bought that, I'm tired of ipv6 server unreliability, I too sense the end of the free service...

I just tough to share with you!

MageMinds
Shepardos

Post by Shepardos »

Astraweb have a special offer Unlimited 20 connections account for 96$ per year, offer valid until 18th july.

http://www.news.astraweb.com/specials/96-yearly.html

I just bought that, I'm tired of ipv6 server unreliability, I too sense the end of the free service...

I just tough to share with you!

MageMinds
Can you recommend Astraweb? How is the speed? How is the service? Is this a big well know provider?

Thanks
Shepardos
MageMinds
Release Testers
Release Testers

Post by MageMinds »

The speed ... I'm fulling my bandwidth completely, 10 mbits or if you prefer, just a little bit over 1 MB/s. As to recommend them for your connection / ISP, I don't know you'll have to try them first, they must have a customer satisfaction policy... As to know if they are big... Since they offer free unlimited upload to all paying member, even block account can upload with no limitation, then most posts come from there, they have two server farm, on in US and one in EU, they support SSL (free of charge) and they are growing their retention is right now at 325 days and they are growing it to 365 days.

You can traceroute back to you from their website http://www.news.astraweb.com/tools/stats.html they are connected to Internet with multiple path, for reliability and speed... Check the traceroute, mine is different if I do the trace from home than their website, they have different routing path than my ISP is using to reach them. This happen more and more these days with multi path services...

I have been using them for more than 2 years now using a block account, since IPv6 server are going more down than up these days, I decided to drop my IPv6 connection and go with a premium subscription... I was going to get their 11$ a month when I saw their new promotion...

MageMinds
Last edited by MageMinds on July 10th, 2009, 12:42 pm, edited 1 time in total.
MageMinds
Release Testers
Release Testers

Post by MageMinds »

I just wanted to make some bad publicity for Astraweb, it's been 6 days now that I have ordered their special and I sent them an email asking to upgrade my account and still nothing... I sent them 6 emails and only one reply saying nothing and now I'm opening a case to the company that handle their credit card transaction. I don't believe it, no communication at all, great servers, speed, but man this is a poor customer service. I just wanted to share my experience and I know it out of topic. But I'm really pissed off...

MageMinds

Edit: Here is the service I will be buying as soon as I get my refund ... http://www.usenetserver.com/en/ they too have a yearly special at 96$, they have Live Chat support 24x7 and a phone number... They also have a 14 days 10 GB trial to test their speed... The persone on the live chat told me they get a lot of ppl that come from astraweb...
Last edited by MageMinds on August 3rd, 2009, 6:45 am, edited 1 time in total.
Camelot

Post by Camelot »

just want to add that I have been in contact with astraweb support 4 times in the past year, and they have provided outstanding service every time.
Sorry to hear you had a subpar experience, MageMinds.
MageMinds
Release Testers
Release Testers

Post by MageMinds »

I've finally had my refund and I'm now with UsenetServer I've received my access the second the paiment was processed and the speed is perfect, I get my 10 mbits filled. I'm happy to drop IPv6 the overhead was killing everything and my QoS router wasn't really happy with the protocol-41 tunnelling, the priority queueing wasn't working as expected. without IPv6 my QoS router is happy and my VoIP too!!!

I know all those past post where out of topic, I'm sorry, just sharing my experience.

Here is the link to order the yearly promotion : https://accounts.usenetserver.com/agoodyear/

MageMinds
Last edited by MageMinds on August 3rd, 2009, 6:49 am, edited 1 time in total.
Haskell Noob

Post by Haskell Noob »

These are all down for me at this point:

reader.ipv6.xsnews.nl
newszilla6.xs4all.nl
news.ipv6.eweka.nl

Code: Select all

# ping6 newszilla6.xs4all.nl

PING newszilla6.xs4all.nl(newszilla.ipv6.xs4all.nl) 56 data bytes
From 2001:0:53aa:64c:5b:29d1:a85d:43ee icmp_seq=5 Destination unreachable: Address unreachable
From 2001:0:53aa:64c:5b:29d1:a85d:43ee icmp_seq=6 Destination unreachable: Address unreachable
From 2001:0:53aa:64c:5b:29d1:a85d:43ee icmp_seq=7 Destination unreachable: Address unreachable
ipv6.google.com still works though
astr0b0y

Post by astr0b0y »

All down for me as well. It's the end of the world as we know it...
guardianx

Post by guardianx »

Haskell Noob wrote: These are all down for me at this point:

reader.ipv6.xsnews.nl
newszilla6.xs4all.nl
news.ipv6.eweka.nl

Code: Select all

# ping6 newszilla6.xs4all.nl

PING newszilla6.xs4all.nl(newszilla.ipv6.xs4all.nl) 56 data bytes
From 2001:0:53aa:64c:5b:29d1:a85d:43ee icmp_seq=5 Destination unreachable: Address unreachable
From 2001:0:53aa:64c:5b:29d1:a85d:43ee icmp_seq=6 Destination unreachable: Address unreachable
From 2001:0:53aa:64c:5b:29d1:a85d:43ee icmp_seq=7 Destination unreachable: Address unreachable
ipv6.google.com still works though
i can ping them all but i guess they shut down the free part :(
mck

Post by mck »

dunno others are down, but i'm getting 761.71 KB/s from newzilla6