One failing server can blocks all others

Report & discuss bugs found in SABnzbd
Forum rules
Help us help you:
  • Are you using the latest stable version of SABnzbd? Downloads page.
  • Tell us what system you run SABnzbd on.
  • Adhere to the forum rules.
  • Do you experience problems during downloading?
    Check your connection in Status and Interface settings window.
    Use Test Server in Config > Servers.
    We will probably ask you to do a test using only basic settings.
  • Do you experience problems during repair or unpacking?
    Enable +Debug logging in the Status and Interface settings window and share the relevant parts of the log here using [ code ] sections.
ohmer

One failing server can blocks all others

Post by ohmer »

Hello,

Using version 0.4.11 on Ubuntu 9.04.  I have 2 news server configured.  Both are ipv6.

The first primary server time out right now.  It's ok.. I have two nntp configured as primary.  But no... sabnzbd stall and only try to reconnects to the first server and never try the second one.  If I set the first server as backup server, then sabnzbd will stop trying to connect to it and then retry the second primary nntp server.

The Connections page displays :

Code: Select all

Connections

* news2.teksavvy.com:119: 0
    * news.ipv6.eweka.nl:119: 0
          o Thread #2 -> [email protected] -> BD9_1ac119087.part01.rar -> BD9_1ac119087.nzb
    * reader.ipv6.xsnews.nl:119: 0

Last warnings (clear)
2009-06-30 23:55:56,253 ERROR [newswrapper] Failed to connect: timed out [email protected]:119
2009-06-30 23:55:56,254 ERROR [downloader] Failed to initialize [email protected]:119
2009-06-30 23:55:56,254 WARNING [downloader] Thread [email protected]:119: failed to initialize

The server news.ipv6.eweka.nl is the on that is not working.  sabnzbd never try to connect to  reader.ipv6.xsnews.nl.  news2.teksavvy.com is configured as backup.
shypike
Administrator
Administrator

Re: One failing server can blocks all others

Post by shypike »

This problem will not be solved before 0.5.0.
It required quite a bit of redesign, that's why we won't port it back to 0.4.x
ugokanain
Release Testers
Release Testers

Post by ugokanain »

Actually I am having the same problem on OS X with ip4. When it hits a problem, it seems to freeze up, and the only way to get it to work is restarting sab. By the way, I am so looking forward to 0.5  :)
shypike
Administrator
Administrator

Post by shypike »

ugokanain wrote: Actually I am having the same problem on OS X with ip4. When it hits a problem, it seems to freeze up, and the only way to get it to work is restarting sab. By the way, I am so looking forward to 0.5  :)
Volunteer as a release tester: https://forums.sabnzbd.org/index.php?topic=891.0
almodovaris

Post by almodovaris »

I confirm the presence of such bug: SABnzbd+ 0.4.11 on Windows 2003 R2 x64 SP2 loses the connection. This can be due to several causes:

- account sharing: when the connections are used by another user, SABnzbd simply stops connecting till you shut it down and restart it;
- connection problems like IP address renewal or re-connecting to the router (when connection is lost for a few second and then it is recovered): if SABnzbd loses connection, it stops downloading, and it never retries connecting to the server.

The big difference between Newsleecher and SABnzbd is that Newsleecher keeps hammering till the connections are available again, while SABnzbd quits trying and stops downloading. I prefere SABnzbd to Newsleecher, but in this respect Newsleecher is far more reliable to finish a download than SABnzbd.