Need Help - Slow Download Speed

Feel free to talk about anything and everything in this board.
rubberdude

Need Help - Slow Download Speed

Post by rubberdude »

Hey "Sab"ers,

Having a problem with the download speed of my nzb's. I have tested my speed on multiple test sites and my download speed is between 4000 and 5000 kbs :D. I have been with the same ISP for 3 years and have come to know the tech guy and he swears I am not being "throttled". My download speed in sab hovers around 60 kbs :(. The other night, for some reason it shot up to over 300kbs :o and then the next day it was back to 60kbs again :(. I have high speed DSL, running windows XP SP2,  2.4 GHz, 1.96 GB of RAM, Intel Core 2 duo. My brother can download a 4.7 MB game in less then an hour and mine takes 18 hours. I have tried everything I can think of. I am not running any other programs except AVG. I know my way around a computer but I can not figure out why I can not get the speed up.

I can download a songs in seconds so I know the speed is there - I just can't figure out how to get it to SABnzbd+ 0.4.11

If anyone can please help me I would be very happy :-[. Maybe it is just a setting that I am missing or some background process???

Thanks to all that could suggest a fix or fixes. If any additional information is required, please let me know and I will post

Regards,
Rubberdude
Last edited by rubberdude on August 17th, 2009, 9:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.
switch

Re: Need Help - Slow Download Speed

Post by switch »

Who do you use as your newsgroup provider? How many connections do you have set, and do you use SSL on the server?
rubberdude

Post by rubberdude »

Thanks for responding...

unlimited.newshosting.com
1 connection set
No SSL

Could it be the modem settings? I run a Dlink ADSL modem - model DSL 300T

Thanks again 8)
switch

Post by switch »

Increase your connections to the maximum your host allows (usually either 8, 20, or now up to 50/60).

If your server supports SSL, enable it and change the port or even the host to the SSL server details (usually port 563 or 443).
rubberdude

Post by rubberdude »

Thanks switch.

I changed the connections to 30 (max for NH Lite Account), enabled SSL and changed the port to 563. Speeds are still consistently running at 60kbs :(

I went to my usenet home page, newshosting.com where there is instruction about downloading "Stunnel" (4.21-installer.exe), changing the default settings for my NH Lite Account. But I am not sure that this will help. What are your thoughts?

I really appreciate your assistance in resolving. 8)

Thanks.
switch

Post by switch »

Stunnel will not help matters. Have you tried using another newsgroup program to see if sabnzbd is the issue or not? Try grabit, newsleecher or alt.binz
rubberdude

Post by rubberdude »

I will and report back - thanks.
rubberdude

Post by rubberdude »

Same results with Alt.Binz. Speed range is 57kbs to 62kbs.

Just did a speed test at Speedtest.net

Download is 4.33 Gbs, Upload is 0.43 Gbs, ping is 34ms.

Confused???
sander
Release Testers
Release Testers

Post by sander »

rubberdude wrote: Just did a speed test at Speedtest.net

Download is 4.33 Gbs, Upload is 0.43 Gbs, ping is 34ms.

Confused???
Confused indeed! 4.33Gbps?! On what kind of network are you? Even on a university network, 4.33 Gbps is a lot. And with 4.33Gbps I would expect a lower ping time than 34 ms.

Don't you mean 4.33 Mbps and 0.43 Mbps? Those are speeds you can get at home. And then the 34 ms would be normal too.
Please don't send me unrequested PM's; the forum is the best way to communicate.
If someone helps you, please reply to that help.
f you like our support, check our special newsserver deal or donate at: https://sabnzbd.org/donate
rubberdude

Post by rubberdude »

Yes...Sorry :-[ - you are correct. Just did it again and got the following...

4.35 Mb/s down
0.46 Mb/s up
35 ms ping

Sorry for the confusion.

It indicates that a movie of 800MB would take 25 min.
rubberdude

Post by rubberdude »

Still running at 60kbs and frustrated. I wish I could figure out what the issue(s) are???
NoGood
Release Testers
Release Testers

Post by NoGood »

If your speedtest says 25 mins for a 800 MB file your initital 4000 to 5000 kb/s is a bit overstated.
Do you actually have a usenet account that costs money, your not on some trial account? Have you tried another program like grabit? And can you attain higher speeds with that?
rubberdude

Post by rubberdude »

Hi... thanks.

I only posted what speedtest said.

I have tried Altbinz with the same slow results. I will try Grabit and respond with results. I pay for a usenet account so that is not the issue.

Could it be my ADSL modem???

Thanks again.
R
rubberdude

Post by rubberdude »

Downloaded Grabit... set up... actually running slower??? Hovering between 52kbs and 58kbs.

It must be some sort of setting on my computer somewhere or the modem. Again, my ISP is not limiting me in anyway at all. This is driving me nuts :o
rubberdude

Post by rubberdude »

It someone wouldn't mind having one last look for me... I am running Blk XP... Could that be a problem? Am I missing python-yenc and if so how to I check it, install it, etc?

Any help very much appreciated.

Thanks,
R
Last edited by rubberdude on August 30th, 2009, 3:58 pm, edited 1 time in total.