Download via 2 connections

Get help with all aspects of SABnzbd
Forum rules
Help us help you:
  • Are you using the latest stable version of SABnzbd? Downloads page.
  • Tell us what system you run SABnzbd on.
  • Adhere to the forum rules.
  • Do you experience problems during downloading?
    Check your connection in Status and Interface settings window.
    Use Test Server in Config > Servers.
    We will probably ask you to do a test using only basic settings.
  • Do you experience problems during repair or unpacking?
    Enable +Debug logging in the Status and Interface settings window and share the relevant parts of the log here using [ code ] sections.
relman
Release Testers
Release Testers

Download via 2 connections

Post by relman »

I have 2 ADSL routers each has a 8mbit connection. Is there anyway to have 2 news servers added where by one will download via one connection and the other server via the other connection?

I'd have 2 network cards in the server with a cat5 patch lead running to each router. different subnets, gateway ips and dns ips. Can this be done? Or does anyone know a method we can use.

cheers
shypike
Administrator
Administrator

Re: Download via 2 connections

Post by shypike »

We have no possibility to route certain connections through specific network cards.
The underlying programming libraries of our programming language don't support this.

You would have to setup static routing of the server addresses yourself.
I know it's possible, but I don't know how.
setTopbox

Post by setTopbox »

I'm interested in this as well.  As far as I can tell the easiest route would be to bond two network connetctions (not bridge as you can in XP or linux with a bridgectrl). 

Under XP there's a piece of software called Express NIC (?? I think) that accomplishes this,  Windows Server 2003+ apparently can do it,  DDWRT can do it and there's a wiki article chalk full of bash scripts you need to shoot into the router.   

Apparently intel has intelPro line of NIC's that have the accompanying drivers that when used with the cards will bond them together.  I'm wondering if these cards are just 10/100 and could be had for cheap on ebay this might be the simplest solution as quite frankly I've pulled out my hair many a time trying to get my WRT routers to do what I want.    I've also tried to scour the ubuntu doc's and the bonding documentation was terrifying.  I cried.   
relman
Release Testers
Release Testers

Post by relman »

Problem is even with bonding it will just load balance across the 2 connections and that means two IPs. A lot of the news hosts I've seen do not allow connections using the same account from same IP at the same time.

What I wanted to do is run 2 accounts setup as 2 servers in Sabnzbd and each server use a different network connection. I think I can do this simply with some routing as most services offer a EU and USA server. Which means I can say for this IP use connection 1 and for this IP use connection 2.  Sabnzbd will be happy using 2 servers at the same time and will load balance the downloadds between the 2 servers anyway.

The only feature I would like is to be able to limit speed by server, rather then over all so that I don't end up just maxing one connection while the other isn't Ideally I'd like to use a 2/3 of each connections bandwidth. I guess software like netlimiter can do that
hera2755

Post by hera2755 »

One possible solution, is to setup 2 firewalls and setup static routing for a certian IP address for one of the newsgroup servers to route off the main firewall to the secondary gateway.  This would at least allow you to segerate traffic to different connections.  I had looked into this method before my ISP offered 50 M connection.  I was going to do the same but with port routing, such as all traffic on port 8080 would go out Wan 1 and all traffic on 119 would go out on Wan 2.  I believe IPtables might beable to do this type of routing.. Don't quote me on it though.

Kevin