SABnzbd-0.5.0(or earlier versions) : is it possible to choose manually download

Feel free to talk about anything and everything in this board.
semel

SABnzbd-0.5.0(or earlier versions) : is it possible to choose manually download

Post by semel »

folders for each new download?

Maybe via some addons, i dunno.

So that it goes like this: i get nzb file, then choose manually to save it into folder XX(instead if automatically downloading it into default folder) and sabnzbd starts downloading it into that folder/
Thanx in advance
semel

Re: SABnzbd-0.5.0(or earlier versions) : is it possible to choose manually download

Post by semel »

Thats kinda  strange question.

I dint think that this option should be explained.

First,
I often download to completely different partition for various reasons which are many..I need to rename download folders for various reasons before i start downloading(the way its done in newsbn, newsleeecher, alt binz etc). Sometimes i dont have enough space on partition where the default download folder is. So what, i have to change it again?

Second, almost every usenet  client i used  has it.

I dont really understand that kind of limitation  in all in all awesome client/.
But i find myself using more often newsbin  because of this. And i dont like it very much.
This seems like the same amount of effort required as just moving the folder after the download
It doesnt. Believe me. have u ever used the clients i mentioned?

But maybe i just dont get it
Last edited by semel on November 26th, 2009, 4:31 pm, edited 1 time in total.
semel

Re: SABnzbd-0.5.0(or earlier versions) : is it possible to choose manually download

Post by semel »

Thanx for ur answers

PS
The strengths in sabnzbd lie in its automated abilities.
So would it be foolish to expect that feature twhich could be turned on or off considering manual setting of download folders to be implemented at some point?

I understand that the main goal of this client is automation but i doubt it would really hurt in any way having this option
Last edited by semel on November 26th, 2009, 4:38 pm, edited 1 time in total.
switch

Post by switch »

Just because a feature is in "almost every usenet client", it is not an excuse for it to be included; and is a good reason why programs get bloated full of features.

SABnzbd is all about working behind the scenes with minimal user intervention all the way from adding an nzb to it being downloaded and automatically repaired/unpacked without the user having to do any work or worry about per nzb settings.

SABnzbd is mainly coded and targeted for use on a server, set up with considerable hard drive storage.

pair of dimes has already pointed you to a good direction in how you can harness an already existing feature of SABnzbd to cleverly direct your downloads to different locations. By using categories, you can set up one or more for each of your partitions allowing you to either select the category (and thus the partition saved to) once the nzb has been added to the queue. Or using the category support within the watched folder, save the nzb to a folder within the watched folder named as your category (ie C:\Watched Folder\myCategory\).