0.5.0 "Unpacking failed, an expected file was not unpacked"

Report & discuss bugs found in SABnzbd
Forum rules
Help us help you:
  • Are you using the latest stable version of SABnzbd? Downloads page.
  • Tell us what system you run SABnzbd on.
  • Adhere to the forum rules.
  • Do you experience problems during downloading?
    Check your connection in Status and Interface settings window.
    Use Test Server in Config > Servers.
    We will probably ask you to do a test using only basic settings.
  • Do you experience problems during repair or unpacking?
    Enable +Debug logging in the Status and Interface settings window and share the relevant parts of the log here using [ code ] sections.
matt314159

0.5.0 "Unpacking failed, an expected file was not unpacked"

Post by matt314159 »

Version: 0.5.0 final
Install-type: Windows Installer
Skin (if applicable): Default
Firewall Software: Microsoft Security Essentials Avira Antivir / Windows Firewall
Are you using IPV6? No
Is the issue reproducible? Every damn time! ;)

Continued from: http://forums.sabnzbd.org/index.php?top ... g26401#new

I'm pulling my hair out here!

In addition to everything in the previous thread, I switched from Microsoft Security Essentials to Avira Antivir, and have tried just completely turning off realtime protection, and that doesn't seem to make a difference.    I changed the power settings so that none of my drives ever shut off.  I've tried taking ownership of the folder, didn't help.   

Not sure what to do from here.  I can't figure it out.  THis happened with RC6, and I went back to RC3, which worked for like a day, then quit.  Installed the 0.5.0 final and still SSDD...failed on the first download. 

From the times it was working, it seemed almost like smaller files were more likely to extract than very large files, except for the day that RC3 seemed to really be rockin' it, it was unpacking evertyhing, big and small...until it stopped. 

Where can I go from here?  What does the error even mean?   

Can 0.4.12 use the same sabnzbd.ini file or do I need to install and completely reconfigure that from scratch.  It's been said that they can have parallel installations on the same machine so long as they're not run at the same time.  I just hate setting everything up from scratch over and over. 
shypike
Administrator
Administrator

Re: 0.5.0 "Unpacking failed, an expected file was not unpacked"

Post by shypike »

The error can mean two things.
Case 1:
There really is something wrong. Disk full, bad rar file etc.
Case 2:
Due to some odd characters inside the rar files, there's a difference between
the fillenames created by unrar and what SABnzbd thinks they should be.
The files do unpack, but it's just SABnzbd nagging.
For this we have the INI file setting "unpack_check = 0".
Case 3:
There's something wrong with your system that prevents unrar from doing its work.

So the question is again. Does unrar actually unpack anything?

Maybe it's worth trying to copy win\unrar\unrar.exe to win\unrar\x64\unrar.exe.
This will replace the 64bit unrar by the 32bit one.

You can have different versions of SABnzbd on your system.
They do need separate administrative folders.
switch

Post by switch »

Please do the following.

1) Turn debug logging on in the connections page of sabnzbd.
2) Close down sabnzbd
3) Locate the logs folder http://wiki.sabnzbd.org/faq#toc15
4) Delete the current logs inside the logs folder. (just to make my job easier)
5) Run sabnzbd and wait until a job fails
6) zip up the log files and email to [email protected] with the name of the nzb you were downloading.
matt314159

Post by matt314159 »

switch wrote: Please do the following.

1) Turn debug logging on in the connections page of sabnzbd.
2) Close down sabnzbd
3) Locate the logs folder http://wiki.sabnzbd.org/faq#toc15
4) Delete the current logs inside the logs folder. (just to make my job easier)
5) Run sabnzbd and wait until a job fails
6) zip up the log files and email to [email protected] with the name of the nzb you were downloading.
email sent.  Thanks.  It failed on the first file so the log just contains the information from one download.   I zipped the nzb in with the text in case you needed to check it out.
shypike wrote: So the question is again. Does unrar actually unpack anything?
I mentioned it in the other thread, but no, nothing is ever actually unpacked.  and changing that unpack_check = 0 string just gave me a different message, that's also in the first thread.  forget what it was offhand.
shypike wrote: Maybe it's worth trying to copy win\unrar\unrar.exe to win\unrar\x64\unrar.exe.
This will replace the 64bit unrar by the 32bit one.
I'll try that right now and get back to you.  

*edit*...nope, same error.  

2nd edit:  
shypike wrote: The error can mean two things.
Case 1:
There really is something wrong. Disk full, bad rar file etc.
I doubt it's this because it happens on so many rar files (almost all of them, but on occasion it surprises me and works fine)  and the drive I'm using has 110GB free at the moment (on a 750GB drive)
shypike wrote: Case 2:
Due to some odd characters inside the rar files, there's a difference between
the fillenames created by unrar and what SABnzbd thinks they should be.
The files do unpack, but it's just SABnzbd nagging.
For this we have the INI file setting "unpack_check = 0".
Probably not this either since, like I said it happens on the most mundane files and so often.  
shypike wrote: Case 3:
There's something wrong with your system that prevents unrar from doing its work.
This is what I think it has to be, but I don't even know where to start tracking it down.   Sabnzbd+ was working fine on Windows 7 x64, then I did a complete reformat, re-installed WIn7 x64, and reinstalled my old programs as normal, I do this 2-3 times a year it seems, w/ no problems.   A couple changes I did make were that I installed MSE instead of Avira (then went back to Avira just today) and installed Acronis TruImage to make a backup to save myself the trouble next time I wanted to wipe everything and start over.  Also, I was running 0.4.12 before and tried 0.5.0 after.
Last edited by matt314159 on February 21st, 2010, 3:59 pm, edited 1 time in total.
shypike
Administrator
Administrator

Post by shypike »

It looks like you have TV sorting on.
Have you tried turning it off?
What are your exact TV sort settings?
matt314159

Post by matt314159 »

Code: Select all

%sn/Season %s/%sx%0e - %en.%ext
Example: F:\Usenet\Show Name\Season 1\1x05 - Episode Name.avi  

Let me turn it off and see what happens.  

*edit*.  Nope same error.  

by the way this is the same exact configuration I had on 0.4.12 as far as the sorting goes.    Never had a problem with it.
Last edited by matt314159 on February 21st, 2010, 4:14 pm, edited 1 time in total.
shypike
Administrator
Administrator

Post by shypike »

Downloaded and sorted fine on my system.

The log file you sent, contains this error message:

2010-02-21 12:27:41,575::INFO::[misc:741] Creating directories: F:\Usenet\TV\The Series (US)/Season 6\_UNPACK_The Series (US) - 6x15 - Master and Slave
2010-02-21 12:27:41,575::ERROR::[misc:743] Failed making (F:\Usenet\TV\The Series (US)/Season 6\_UNPACK_The Series (US) - 6x15 - Master and Slave)
(slightly redacted  ;) )

For me, that's a sign that the OS doesn't allow SABnzbd to create the required folder.
I still think there's something wrong with your system (if only access rights).
Are you sure this path can be created?

F:\Usenet\TV\The Series (US)\Season 6\_UNPACK_The Series (US) - 6x15 - Master and Slave
matt314159

Post by matt314159 »

shypike wrote: Downloaded and sorted fine on my system.

The log file you sent, contains this error message:

2010-02-21 12:27:41,575::INFO::[misc:741] Creating directories: F:\Usenet\TV\The Series (US)/Season 6\_UNPACK_The Series (US) - 6x15 - Master and Slave
2010-02-21 12:27:41,575::ERROR::[misc:743] Failed making (F:\Usenet\TV\The Series (US)/Season 6\_UNPACK_The Series (US) - 6x15 - Master and Slave)
(slightly redacted  ;) )

For me, that's a sign that the OS doesn't allow SABnzbd to create the required folder.
I still think there's something wrong with your system (if only access rights).
Are you sure this path can be created?

F:\Usenet\TV\The Series (US)\Season 6\_UNPACK_The Series (US) - 6x15 - Master and Slave
This is the direction I'm heading too.   Maybe I made things worse when I "took ownership" of the folders.  

When I right click in the downloads folder to make a new folder it gives me the little shield that would indicate it requires administrative right to create a folder:  

to wit:  

But it lets me make a folder just fine without any UAC intervention.  

OKAY instead of trying to figure out which permissions I need to restore and what the owner needs to be, etc....I did something different.  

I renamed my Usenet folder to "usenet2" and created a new "Usenet" folder to download into.  

Did a trial run and it extracted fine.  So it had to be the permissions on that folder.  Now I have 430GB in a "Usenet2" folder to sort through...I want to get everything back into that one folder but w/o borking the permissions.  

But at least I feel like i know what's going on now.  

By the way, you can move this thread out of the bugs section since it's clearly not a sabnzbd issue but a problem that exists between my chair and the computer screen.  Thank you guys so much for all your time and efforts in helping me get back going again, I think I know enough to be able to take it from here.  

One last thing, I forgot to mention, that might have something to do with it, is that I do have my usenet download folder shared across my network to my WDTV Live running b.rad.cc's custom firmware.  I wonder if that had something to do with it, or the permissions, etc.  I'll play around and see what I can do to break it again while I get it set back up the way I want it ;)
Last edited by matt314159 on February 21st, 2010, 6:38 pm, edited 1 time in total.
matt314159

Post by matt314159 »

Okay hopefully this is the last post I make about this, but yeah looks like I wasn't looking close enough at the folder permissions before.  It looks like some of the write permissions were restricted on the existing folders for the "Matt" user account.  I restored them and the problem went away. 

That was why my problem was intermittent, as well.  If it was trying to extract into an existing folder, it didn't have permission, but if it was creating its own folder for something then it was fine. 

Man what a relief that it was something so simple.  I still don't know how the permissions got messed up, though perhaps it was related to my format I did last week, I don't know...the downloads folder was on an external drive that didn't get touched.  I thought I set the same usernames and passwords for windows and all that, but maybe my old system had some permissions on them differently.  I just changed it so that everyone has full control on the entire downloads folder and all subdirectories and it seems fine.  Not sure how good that is from a security standpoint, but whatever, it works which is all I care about at the moment.
shypike
Administrator
Administrator

Post by shypike »

;D
Great that it works now.
It was actually the last suggestion I had.

Perhaps we should display the first error more clearly and skip the rest of the action.
matt314159

Post by matt314159 »

shypike wrote: Perhaps we should display the first error more clearly and skip the rest of the action.
I'm not entirely sure what you mean by this, do you need me to edit a post or something?
shypike
Administrator
Administrator

Post by shypike »

No, I was talking to myself :)

The error message isn't very clear for the user.
Maybe SABnzbd should just stop when it cannot create the main folder
instead of just continuing to unrar and producing a load of errors.
You thought it was an unrar problem, when the initial problem was that
the main folder could not be created.
That info would have set you on the right track sooner.
matt314159

Post by matt314159 »

roger that, I understand now.  At first I was thinking along the lines of making my solution more prominent in this thread for future users or something.   Yeah it might be more helpful if the error in the history section said something like, "unrar was unable to create folder" or something, and halt the operation.

Anyway thanks again for all your help!  
vbrtrmn

Post by vbrtrmn »

I had the same problem, turned out that sabnzbd didn't have the correct permissions to access the folder I set for it to extract to.  Using CYGWIN I modified the permissions of the folder to allow it to have read/write access and the issue went away.