plush design "a little bit too dynamic"?

Questions and bug reports for Beta releases should be posted here.
Forum rules
Help us help you:
  • Tell us what system you run SABnzbd on.
  • Adhere to the forum rules.
  • Do you experience problems during downloading?
    Check your connection in Status and Interface settings window.
    Use Test Server in Config > Servers.
    We will probably ask you to do a test using only basic settings.
  • Do you experience problems during repair or unpacking?
    Enable +Debug logging in the Status and Interface settings window and share the relevant parts of the log here using [ code ] sections.
mcka

plush design "a little bit too dynamic"?

Post by mcka »

Hi!

I really like the 0.4 updates, all of them, very nice features added. Nice work! I also like the plush update.

But in my opinion it has a little bit too much magic, too much mouse-over, too much Ajax. I'd recommend to reduce the number of effects a little bit, and use some static information here and there, not as much as in the default templates, but a little bit ;)

e.g., I'd like to get some more information from the history without going with my mouse over some tiny icons...

And if I move my mouse from navigation down, on every line something happens, backgrounds change, icons appear/disappear, other icons change position, popups, information boxes open somewhere...

Don't get me wrong, I really like the design and most of the dynamic features, but IMHO it's a little bit too much :)

best regards
mcka

PS: a bad side-effect of many ajax calls is that it creates very high loads on slower PCs and NAS systems. Python/Cherrypy is not the most efficient webserver out there :D
Last edited by mcka on April 8th, 2008, 4:40 pm, edited 1 time in total.
neilt0

Re: plush design "a little bit too dynamic"?

Post by neilt0 »

mcka wrote: PS: a bad side-effect of many ajax calls is that it creates very high loads on slower PCs and NAS systems. Python/Cherrypy is not the most efficient webserver out there :D
Fine on my 400MHz NAS. Ajax = lower load. I have refresh set low, about 1 min or more. Don't have it at 8s.
nzb_leecher

Post by nzb_leecher »

I think Pair of Dimes has a point here, when so many things are changing, you think wtf.
But if you worked with it for a few days, you begin to remember where everything is and you begin to get used on it.

One however one thing, what i would like to see changed. Dont remember well because i had to go back to 34 after 5 minutes becuase 40 would dload anymore.
There was a listbox configutration or something like that. I saw something like go to sab forum there.
It looked like there a few lettertypes/sizes used in 1 listbox,  i think it would looked more "easy"if they were all the same. But hey that why there is a beta version so everyone can have an opinion  ;D

ps i liked the new place for the shutdown button  ;)
ferno

Post by ferno »

Hi,

I also tend to agree with Pair of dimes.

IMHO Plush is a fantastic interface and very feature rich.
If the features are a bit too much for your taste there are several other interfaces you can use (or better though, build you own ;) )

The only comment I have regarding plush is that I would like to see the configuration pages etc. in the same style as the frontpage.
Now when you switch to the config options it almost looks like it is a different template.

Not a real big issue but just my 2 cents worth.
uzenet

Post by uzenet »

i have to agree with the original poster. i've actually found myself switching to smpl since 0.4.0b2. i find the new plush interface to be a bit too much ajax as i like to drag and drop files into the add nzb section but the new ajax menu makes this a bit harder to do. also, as i like to set a minimum font size in firefox, i find the larger text doesn't always fit well in the layout and spills over the graphics and drop-down menus. the fact that history verbosity has gone back to icons only with tooltips is a bit of a regression (iirc 0.3.4's plush theme had text descriptions in verbosity mode).

on the other hand, i had only briefly experimented with smpl before, but am liking it more and more perhaps because the interface is somewhat similar to that used in the Tomato firmware for linux routers that i use.
evidenceunseen

Post by evidenceunseen »

pair of dimes wrote:
#1 the main menu stays open if you hover it then alt-tab out of your browser -- yes it's "a bit harder" but it's not something I had considered, so sorry. I am trying to think up an alternative type of menu that "Add NZB" can be in -- as it should be part of the queue, not the main menu.
How about if you hover over the "Q" in Queue a + button appears and that is how you add files, or something like that, you could also use a tool tip to make sure everyone understood what it was
Last edited by evidenceunseen on April 14th, 2008, 11:45 pm, edited 1 time in total.