Newzbin replacement?

Feel free to talk about anything and everything in this board.
inpheaux
Administrator
Administrator

Re: Newzbin replacement?

Post by inpheaux »

substyle wrote: I know its early and this might not be figured out yet...but if anyone thinks of an alternative to bring back categories and renaming for iphone downloaders...please post it. I was highly dependent on bookmarks for remote downloading + episode butler for recurring episodes. learning what my options are now.
nzbs.org has a bookmarks work-alike feature called "my nzbs". They give you a personalized rss feed for your "my nzbs" cart. Set that feed up in SABnzbd, then remotely log into nzbs.org and add reports to your nzb list. SABnzbd will then pull these items every 15 minutes and the list will automatically clean itself up.

Only downside is that the ui to add nzbs to your "my nzbs" list sucks, but I'm going to start looking into how to fix that tomorrow.
substyle

Post by substyle »

inpheaux wrote:
substyle wrote: I know its early and this might not be figured out yet...but if anyone thinks of an alternative to bring back categories and renaming for iphone downloaders...please post it. I was highly dependent on bookmarks for remote downloading + episode butler for recurring episodes. learning what my options are now.
nzbs.org has a bookmarks work-alike feature called "my nzbs". They give you a personalized rss feed for your "my nzbs" cart. Set that feed up in SABnzbd, then remotely log into nzbs.org and add reports to your nzb list. SABnzbd will then pull these items every 15 minutes and the list will automatically clean itself up.

Only downside is that the ui to add nzbs to your "my nzbs" list sucks, but I'm going to start looking into how to fix that tomorrow.
Thanks for this, this is very helpful. I think I am going to use MyTvNZB RSS for my recurring shows and nzbs.org "my nzbs" cart for downloading movies remotely. this way i believe I will retain most of what I loved about newzbin. is there any option to automatically remove items from my "my nzbs" cart, whether it is similar to how newzbin bookmark removal worked, or as a batch once a day? from looking at their site I do not see any option other than manual deletion, not that that is a deal breaker or anything....

the only thing I'm worried about is now having to rely on sorting for movies to strip out the nonsense in the folder names so media browser will still pick it up. I guess I'll be getting familiar with that feature soon.
Cavalier

Post by Cavalier »

I don't know if it's of any use to others.  I use a grease monkey script ( by Fusen) for use with TVNZB, what it does is add a Sabnzbd icon to the TVNZB page and when clicked on will send the nzb straight to Sabnzbd.

SABnzbd Oneclick Add For TVNZB : http://userscripts.org/scripts/show/65789

This morning I regged with NZBs(dot)org and the same Sabnzbd icon shows up on the NZBs.org page and works in just the same way as on the TVNZB page.

Cavalier.
Last edited by inpheaux on April 4th, 2010, 7:46 pm, edited 1 time in total.
DigitalDetritus

Post by DigitalDetritus »

Hey guys. I just posted a forum topic about my SABnzbd Automatic TV Renamer. I wrote it to allow easy, automatic querying of TVRage from SABnzbd to correctly name and categorize TV shows. I used to use NZB-TV with Newbin and SABnzbd, and now all I need is SABnzbd, an RSS feed (I'm using TvNZBRSS.com), and my script (it's a .Net windows-only program).

Take a look here:
http://forums.sabnzbd.org/index.php?topic=4061.0

I've included a lot of documentation (which we developers hate to write).

If you try it out, let me know what you think by leaving a comment on a post on the blog, or if you have a problem or feature request, just click the bright red "feedback" on the web page.
inpheaux
Administrator
Administrator

Post by inpheaux »

Cavalier wrote: I don't know if it's of any use to others.  I use a grease monkey script ( by Fusen) for use with TVNZB, what it does is add a Sabnzbd icon to the TVNZB page and when clicked on will send the nzb straight to Sabnzbd.

SABnzbd Oneclick Add For TVNZB : http://userscripts.org/scripts/show/65789

This morning I regged with NZBs(dot)org and the same Sabnzbd icon shows up on the NZBs.org page and works in just the same way as on the TVNZB page.

Cavalier.
1) Don't post screenshots
2) This functionality has been in nzbdstatus for firefox and sabconnect for chrome for some time now.
Cavalier

Post by Cavalier »

1) Don't post screenshots
2) This functionality has been in nzbdstatus for firefox and sabconnect for chrome for some time now.
[/quote]

ok. Sorry about the screenshot.

Cavalier.
c0ld

Post by c0ld »

Just a word of warning for anyone thinking of handing over money to NZBmatrix for their RSS. Their feeds do not update when the client asks for a refresh. They refresh server side every 25 minutes. It makes the entire service worthless and makes the faster reporting on matrix a bit pointless.

I regret giving them any money tbh and have switched back to nzbs.org again. It's obvious matrix are just in this for short term gain. They take in a large up front fee, need next to nothing in terms of storage space (no headers to deal with) and obviously don't even spend any of their huge income on buying enough processor power to handle RSS properly.
Last edited by c0ld on April 7th, 2010, 9:28 am, edited 1 time in total.
Eejit

Post by Eejit »

c0ld wrote: It's obvious matrix are just in this for short term gain.
Hardly. They've been running for over 4 years. How much a year would you spend on Newzbin? Multiply that by 10. I bet it's alot more than the £7.00 NZBMatrix charge for the same period. Probably over 10 times the amount.
Newzbin would charge $7.80 for 52 weeks and that was during thier half price xmas sale. The Matrix is only £7.00 for 10 years.
Also Newzbin only had about 350 day's retention where as the Matrix grow with the big Newsproviders.
Last edited by Eejit on April 7th, 2010, 3:18 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Eejit - The name say's it all !!
c0ld

Post by c0ld »

The term 'retention' shouldn't even apply to matrix. It is just a file dump. You could fit all of its NZBs onto a 1TB drive.

As for the '10 year subscription', do you seriously believe they will still be around in even half that time?
Last edited by c0ld on April 7th, 2010, 6:18 pm, edited 1 time in total.
pmow
Release Testers
Release Testers

Post by pmow »

c0ld wrote:
pmow wrote: Call me paranoid but I think it's a good idea to cease all downloading of NZBs from newzbin.  Lack of logging going into the future cannot be guaranteed, as the site owners are no longer in control.  I'm not sure about the UK but there are such things as sealed injunctions, and newzbin could be prevented from informing their users.
There's nothing illegal about downloading an NZB, even if it links to illegal content.
[puts on tinfoil hat] That doesn't mean you can't get sued for it.  There's also nothing illegal about running unprotected Wifi, downloading torrents, or posting YouTube videos, but all of those can get you sued.
sabn8

Post by sabn8 »

Oh no, can somebody post a link on the exact ruling? I guess Im kinda out of the loop. Thanks for listing some of the nzb alternatives.
Yarbles

Post by Yarbles »

sabn8 wrote: Oh no, can somebody post a link on the exact ruling?
http://www.bailii.org/cgi-bin/markup.cg ... od=boolean
Ayla
Release Testers
Release Testers

Post by Ayla »

Now that tvnzb.com is down (looks closed actually), what do you guys recommend as the best alternative for tv show nzb's and rss subscribing?

dweller

Post by dweller »

Ayla wrote: Now that tvnzb.com is down (looks closed actually), what do you guys recommend as the best alternative for tv show nzb's and rss subscribing?

Dammit, that explains why my RSS has stopped working again!

Second time I have to set up something different - moved from newzbin to mytvnzb recently. Guess it's time to try out Matrix.

At least I didnt lose any money moving to mytvnzb, unlike my 400 days worth of credit on newzbin which is now being wasted on a dead service. :(