I need a usenet service, Astaweb, Newshosting, or?

Feel free to talk about anything and everything in this board.
randyharris

I need a usenet service, Astaweb, Newshosting, or?

Post by randyharris »

As a Cox internet subscriber I've enjoyed free Usenet.

But all good things must come to an end. (I found out about this right after finding out that tvnzb.com was down, maybe for good... double ouch.)

Note: Effective June 30, 2010, Newsgroup service will no longer be offered as part of the Cox High Speed Internet service.

I haven't subscribed to a Usenet server in many years, in searching around quickly both Astraweb and Newshosting came up often as good fast affordable options.

Thoughts and experience on these or others you might recommend?

Thanks.
randyharris

Re: I need a usenet service, Astaweb, Newshosting, or?

Post by randyharris »

btw - just noticed NewsDemon over here at this site, sounds nice at $10.95 per month.
inpheaux
Administrator
Administrator

Post by inpheaux »

The quality of both astraweb and newshosting can be suspect at times. I frequently hear complaints from people on IRC, other forums, this forum, etc, about incomplete parts on either server. If you want a quality host go with something based on the Giganews feed, like either Giganews proper (we'd prefer you go through one of the various ads on the site) or one of their resellers, Supernews (again, we'd prefer going through one of our ads, but they have a cheaper plan here).

Supernews is probably your best bet if you want something good and cheap. It has retention capped at 400 days, but it's the most reliable server you're going to find, and to me, reliability is more important than retention. (Because what good is super high retention if a lot of stuff is incomplete?)
randyharris

Post by randyharris »

much appreciated.
dalek

Post by dalek »

Don't forget about block accounts. Depending on usage, it can be much cheaper than a monthly account.
BrotherMan

Post by BrotherMan »

I'm probably biased, but I'd recommend Giganews.  It probably costs more than the others, but I've been with them for about 3 years now and I wouldn't go with any of the others.  They're extremely reliable, are nearly up to two years of retention, and comes with some cool extras (depending on the package you go for).  Unless you don't download much from Usenet, I'd suggest at least checking them out.
mrsqrl

Post by mrsqrl »

I'm a huge fan of easynews.... worth checking out:
http://www.easynews.com

They have a web friendly global search and downloading tool which is great when you need to snag something from usenet from a friends house, etc...
inpheaux
Administrator
Administrator

Post by inpheaux »

mrsqrl wrote: I'm a huge fan of easynews.... worth checking out:
http://www.easynews.com

They have a web friendly global search and downloading tool which is great when you need to snag something from usenet from a friends house, etc...
Easynews is a terrible deal. If you're looking for block plans, go with blocknews.net. Their cheapest unlimited plan is $20/mo, and they have the same retention as Supernews.
Kenrin

Post by Kenrin »

I've used almost every provider out there,  currently i'm with astraweb on their 11/mo deal,  best so far i have seen.  giganews is the best if you like paying a lot for the same service.

here is the special 11/mo link  http://www.news.astraweb.com/specials/kleverig-11.html
wally007
Release Testers
Release Testers

Post by wally007 »

I'v ebeen with Astra web for over a year. I've never had any other service so i cant compare but

Anything over 200 days is likely going to be missing some stuff
Anything over 300 days no way jose , i've yet to complete nzb

I'm mostly using my Usenet to stay current with TV shows ( home made of course :-) ) so its not huge deal or me and i'm at the moment strapped for cash so $11 is more important to me than 100% reliable service.
Nordmann

Post by Nordmann »

Wally, them there must be something wrong with you cause I frequently download stuff from Astraweb that are 500+ days old and I don't have any problems completing it.
WarezMyGF
Release Testers
Release Testers

Post by WarezMyGF »

I've been on usenet since 2003.

I use to be a die hard Giganews guy until they sent DCMA notices to me and many other people on irc last year. They just gave a warning, but said next time would cut off from service. They also will remove bytes for files that they receive DCMA notices from. For a company that charges the most of all newsgroups providers, I want one that will protect their customers instead of screwing them over. Besides, Giganews would not be in business if it wasn't for binaries posted on usenet. Giganews sucks.

I've been on Astraweb ever since, with ZERO complaints. I have downloaded stuff that is over 600 days old, without issues. In fact, I have never had a file I could not download successfully with pars, except for one old anime episode that was posted in a non popular group. I have all my friends on Astraweb, and they are all happy with it. Especially for $11/month. :c)
SABnzbd v0.6.0 Alpha 10 w/ Windows 2008 Server R2

Server Specs: i3 530 | Asus P7H55D-M EVO | 2GB Crucial DDR3 | 8TB of Storage
rascalli

Post by rascalli »

I use 2 providers  :

XLNED
http://www.xlned.nl/ , starting 2.21 Euro a month

Nice speed , no problems so far .. 290 days retention
Account sharing possible ( just both only use half the connections and you can download at the same time)

XSNEWS
http://www.xsnews.nl/Home/ , starting 3.70 Euro a month

Nice speed , and good retention.
Account sharing possible (not dowloading at the same time)
I even believe this is astraweb .. as I see astraweb.europe in my logs
pobox

Post by pobox »

Every premium service needs a backup now.
renegade

Post by renegade »

Astraweb for me.

600+ days usually no problems at all. Might be some incomplete files, but PARs will fix 98% of the time.