AppleTV Movies and TV Show script for Mac

Come up with a useful post-processing script? Share it here!
randyharris

Re: AppleTV Movies and TV Show script for Mac

Post by randyharris »

brazuca wrote: Hi. Great script. Just some issues. How would I cancel or stop the script? In SABnzbd+ I have an item that seems to be stuck in "Running Script: AppleTV" and I have no way to release it or restart it. Any tips?
Here's the short answer: Fire up 'Activity Monitor' and look for the process that is taking all your CPU and kill it.

PM me with details please, I haven't run into this in many downloads yet and would like some info to try and troubleshoot.

Please don't post the details here on the thread, but PM me all relevant info including:
What was being Downloaded
What is in the root download folder
Was there an M4V in process of being created?
Any other tidbits.

Thanks!
randyharris

Post by randyharris »

for anybody who may give a rats a....

Sounds to me like the problem is an issue with SAB when user switches to another user login, not with my scripts.

btw - I came to the realization today that while my scripts are working wonderfully for me - they really are totally geared to the single file downloads that are so common with movies and tv shows. I nabbed a full season TV Show download the other day and quickly realized that my script totally and utterly failed when it came to processing the 10 files. Not sure if I'm just going to leave it be since it works stellar with most everything I download - or if I'll buck up and re-engineer the TV section of the script to better accommodate downloads that rightfully contain multiple video sources.

...stay tuned.

If anybody else is testing this setup out, please post your feedback, I hope it's all good, but if you are having issues or troubles please let me know. Thanks.

Q: Does anybody have the desire to not process files until a specified time of day? I think that could be easily accomplished if there was a need for it.
brazuca

Post by brazuca »

I would definitely like to specify a time for scripts to run. For that manner, why not have a Start/Pause option (manual activation)?
randyharris

Post by randyharris »

The link in this post has been updated with a new Script.

It now handles TV, Movie, Music Video downloads that contain multi-videos. For example if you download a single download that contains all episodes from a full season of a TV show, the script now handles that correctly. Previously it was geared towards single shows/movies, etc.

If you have the script installed, just make a backup copy of your AppleTV file that contains your user variables and overwrite the new one that will be written to your drive when you do the new install. That way you don't have to enter your specifics over again.

I may add the ability to specify by category whether you want to process it immediately or be able to delay processing until a specific time of the day or night. Have it figured out in my head, just need to do it.
randyharris

Post by randyharris »

Thanks to brazuca for helping me troubleshoot a problem. There were a couple of dynamic libraries that were not included in the installation package - it only caused problem when the script tried to convert MKV's with DTS to AC3, the installation file now includes them and this *should* be an issue no more.

Be sure to save your AppleTV file and overwrite the one the installation package puts on your system, that way you don't have to enter your user variables again. I'd zip (compress) a copy of the AppleTV file for save keeping.

The link to the file and manual are in this post.
randyharris

Post by randyharris »

I was chatting offline with Gids about the scripts - Glad they're working well for you mate!

In vetting out a request he had, I came to the realization that I need to change this from being the AppleTV Script to the Mac Script. With this change would be the ability for the users to select their default device - instead of always making the 1st copy for AppleTV and allowing for a second copy you could select any device or custom setting for your primary option. The AppleTV as primary device was how it was built because that is my situation and well hey lets face it, I made this for me! But it shouldn't be too big a change to allow for more options.

But lets see, the iPad must be nearing 3,000,000 sales about now, which means that it has sold about 2,999,999 more than the AppleTV :)  So I'm going to re-work the script into a 'Mac Script for Video' which allows the user set the primary copy (it will probably be a default that the script always generates a copy for) as either: iPad, AppleTV, iPod, iPhone, or Custom Setting. And then allow for a second copy for either: iPad, AppleTV, iPod, iPhone, or Custom Setting.

Additionally, a few of my friends use Plex, or similar as their main player - maybe I'll add an option called "NAS" which simply moves the video files to a specific location like for example: //NAS/../tv shows/series name/    This would require no transcoding or tagging, simply moving the file [after any optional 2nd copies are make].

Other Update - the script and binaries were recently updated such that WMV-HD videos can now be converted (albeit in stereo not 5.1).
Last edited by randyharris on June 10th, 2010, 6:21 pm, edited 1 time in total.
gazzzmoly
Release Testers
Release Testers

Post by gazzzmoly »

whats the output format  is output compatable with ipad iphone ps3 or xbox 360
randyharris

Post by randyharris »

gazzzmoly wrote: whats the output format  is output compatable with ipad iphone ps3 or xbox 360
Today the script outputs iTunes compatible formats, AppleTV/iPad, iPhone, iPod, Apple Universal.

I'm looking to mixing it up a bit to support custom strings. I do not own nor do I have any interest in a PS3 or XBox so I wouldn't be able to test any HandBrake settings for those devices, but if somebody has good settings that work with those devices I would be happy to include them.
randyharris

Post by randyharris »

The latest HandBrake build I incorporated (to enable WMV-HD compatibility) changed some of it's options and nomenclature, working through a fix and will post an update soon.

Ok, updated for the new structure - this *should* be good to go.

DOWNLOAD the AppleTV Script Installation Pak here.

Last edited by randyharris on June 11th, 2010, 3:36 pm, edited 1 time in total.
gazzzmoly
Release Testers
Release Testers

Post by gazzzmoly »

Hi randy i have downloaded your script and am playing    i have the script from he first post does this get updatd ?   also confused about the post > dts >ac3 is that default in the script ?

also the files i get are usually h.264 video with audio that needs converting   do you transcode the video as well    or just remux audio ?    

if not could you incorporate a way just to remux audio and make the file and .mp4      seems to take ages to convert the video   ?

cheers   this script by the way is awesome   if you sort it so it plays on ps3 (remux is all that is needed) i will be glad to donate   :)
randyharris

Post by randyharris »

gazzzmoly wrote: Hi randy i have downloaded your script and am playing    i have the script from he first post does this get updatd ?   also confused about the post > dts >ac3 is that default in the script ?

also the files i get are usually h.264 video with audio that needs converting   do you transcode the video as well    or just remux audio ?    

if not could you incorporate a way just to remux audio and make the file and .mp4      seems to take ages to convert the video   ?

cheers   this script by the way is awesome   if you sort it so it plays on ps3 (remux is all that is needed) i will be glad to donate   :)
No worries on the dts / ac3 stuff that's all been sorted.

Anywhere in this thread where there is a link to the download, they all point to the most recent version.

I'll look at adding the PS3 conversion if somebody gives me a good preset.
gazzzmoly
Release Testers
Release Testers

Post by gazzzmoly »

i think having a way toselect the audio you want on a preferance would be good    for example a 1st 2nd and 3rd choice    i like to remux to aac.. others dts etc .      h.264 with .acc  under the m4v container works  with a profile of 3.1  would be my first choice.
wokavan

Post by wokavan »

randyharris wrote: I'll look at adding the PS3 conversion if somebody gives me a good preset.
I'd also really appreciate a way to transcode mkvs instead of the full conversion. I wish I knew enough to give you a good preset. From my experiences with other methods/scripts that try to achieve similar (but much much less polished than yours) results, they usually use MKVExtract to rip out the h264 video and AC3 audio, then FFMpeg to convert the surround AC3 to 2channel AAC (which may longer be required?) and then muxes the two together with MP4BOX.

Programs like MKV4xbox (http://www.macupdate.com/info.php/id/30486/mkv4xbox) and MKVTools (http://www.emmgunn.com/betadownload.html) attempt this remuxing route, but obviously without all the delightful niceties you've baked into this wonderful script  :).

Would a remuxing only option be possible to add?

Thanks for all the tremoundous work on this, it's really awesome!
gazzzmoly
Release Testers
Release Testers

Post by gazzzmoly »

wokavan wrote:
randyharris wrote: I'll look at adding the PS3 conversion if somebody gives me a good preset.
I'd also really appreciate a way to transcode mkvs instead of the full conversion. I wish I knew enough to give you a good preset. From my experiences with other methods/scripts that try to achieve similar (but much much less polished than yours) results, they usually use MKVExtract to rip out the h264 video and AC3 audio, then FFMpeg to convert the surround AC3 to 2channel AAC (which may longer be required?) and then muxes the two together with MP4BOX.

Programs like MKV4xbox (http://www.macupdate.com/info.php/id/30486/mkv4xbox) and MKVTools (http://www.emmgunn.com/betadownload.html) attempt this remuxing route, but obviously without all the delightful niceties you've baked into this wonderful script  :).

thats exactly what i couldn't say lol

i think though something would need to be done with the profile header  not sure if all can be made 3.1  which would make it interchangeable with both ps3 / itunes
randyharris

Post by randyharris »

gazzzmoly wrote:
wokavan wrote:

thats exactly what i couldn't say lol

i think though something would need to be done with the profile header   not sure if all can be made 3.1   which would make it interchangeable with both ps3 / itunes
Currently my script is geared towards AppleTV, so an MKV with DTS is converted to an MKV with AC3, then transcoded for AppleTV. If I understand you would want to be able to go from MKV with DTS to either MKV with AC3 or MKV with Stereo?

The choice of Stereo or AC3 would be something I'd have to bake in from the get go, but in general this sort of custom settings is exactly what I'm talking about in a re-design that makes it more open to any platform, not just specific to iTunes supported devices.

I really need help from you guys for settings though for other devices, I don't have an Xbox or PS3 and don't have the knowledge or interest in looking into it. Do you play full res video on those devices as you download it, whether it be 720 or 1080? I don't get why anybody would want stereo when you could have AC3?