AppleTV Movies and TV Show script for Mac

Come up with a useful post-processing script? Share it here!
gazzzmoly
Release Testers
Release Testers

Re: AppleTV Movies and TV Show script for Mac

Post by gazzzmoly »

what exactly do you want to know ?  i aint a video guru  but i will have a look and put some work into it for you    why dont you pop into irc
wokavan

Post by wokavan »

randyharris wrote: Currently my script is geared towards AppleTV, so an MKV with DTS is converted to an MKV with AC3, then transcoded for AppleTV. If I understand you would want to be able to go from MKV with DTS to either MKV with AC3 or MKV with Stereo?

The choice of Stereo or AC3 would be something I'd have to bake in from the get go, but in general this sort of custom settings is exactly what I'm talking about in a re-design that makes it more open to any platform, not just specific to iTunes supported devices.

I really need help from you guys for settings though for other devices, I don't have an Xbox or PS3 and don't have the knowledge or interest in looking into it. Do you play full res video on those devices as you download it, whether it be 720 or 1080? I don't get why anybody would want stereo when you could have AC3?
Thanks for the quick response! It's actually not that I'm looking for the ability to use Stereo instead of AC3 (the PS3 supports AC3 in MP4s and while the xbox 360 doesn't support it natively, there are programs that will perform on-the-fly down-sampling to stereo while streaming to it). It's more that I'm curious as to why your script performs a full video conversion of MKVs when, from my understanding, it could possibly be passing-through the video instead since the original video stream in an MKV is an mp4 compatible h264 video. I imagine it has to do with the overall complexity of the script and the amount of fail-safes that you've included, though it still seems like if you're going from a 720p MKV to a 720p mp4(or m4v) having the script quickly pass-through the video would be ideal since it only takes 5 minutes or less compared to the much longer full conversion process.

Again, I imagine I'm just completely missing something, so I appreciate you taking the time to listen to my gibberish :). Thanks!
randyharris

Post by randyharris »

wokavan wrote:
randyharris wrote: Currently my script is geared towards AppleTV, so an MKV with DTS is converted to an MKV with AC3, then transcoded for AppleTV. If I understand you would want to be able to go from MKV with DTS to either MKV with AC3 or MKV with Stereo?

The choice of Stereo or AC3 would be something I'd have to bake in from the get go, but in general this sort of custom settings is exactly what I'm talking about in a re-design that makes it more open to any platform, not just specific to iTunes supported devices.

I really need help from you guys for settings though for other devices, I don't have an Xbox or PS3 and don't have the knowledge or interest in looking into it. Do you play full res video on those devices as you download it, whether it be 720 or 1080? I don't get why anybody would want stereo when you could have AC3?
Thanks for the quick response! It's actually not that I'm looking for the ability to use Stereo instead of AC3 (the PS3 supports AC3 in MP4s and while the xbox 360 doesn't support it natively, there are programs that will perform on-the-fly down-sampling to stereo while streaming to it). It's more that I'm curious as to why your script performs a full video conversion of MKVs when, from my understanding, it could possibly be passing-through the video instead since the original video stream in an MKV is an mp4 compatible h264 video. I imagine it has to do with the overall complexity of the script and the amount of fail-safes that you've included, though it still seems like if you're going from a 720p MKV to a 720p mp4(or m4v) having the script quickly pass-through the video would be ideal since it only takes 5 minutes or less compared to the much longer full conversion process.

Again, I imagine I'm just completely missing something, so I appreciate you taking the time to listen to my gibberish :). Thanks!
I convert from the MKV to M4V because AppleTV doesn't play MKV's.
gazzzmoly
Release Testers
Release Testers

Post by gazzzmoly »

randyharris wrote:
wokavan wrote:

no it doesnt but it will play a remuxed .mkv

ie    start with an mkv  you extract the video  and audio  leave the video alone and convert the audio and then put both together in the mp4 container      you would also need to change the profile header to 3.1 also    to play on the apple tv    but the ps3 can stay 4.1
randyharris

Post by randyharris »

gazzzmoly wrote:
randyharris wrote:
wokavan wrote: Thanks for the quick response! It's actually not that I'm looking for the ability to use Stereo instead of AC3 (the PS3 supports AC3 in MP4s and while the xbox 360 doesn't support it natively, there are programs that will perform on-the-fly down-sampling to stereo while streaming to it). It's more that I'm curious as to why your script performs a full video conversion of MKVs when, from my understanding, it could possibly be passing-through the video instead since the original video stream in an MKV is an mp4 compatible h264 video. I imagine it has to do with the overall complexity of the script and the amount of fail-safes that you've included, though it still seems like if you're going from a 720p MKV to a 720p mp4(or m4v) having the script quickly pass-through the video would be ideal since it only takes 5 minutes or less compared to the much longer full conversion process.

no it doesnt but it will play a remuxed .mkv

ie    start with an mkv   you extract the video  and audio   leave the video alone and convert the audio and then put both together in the mp4 container      you would also need to change the profile header to 3.1 also    to play on the apple tv    but the ps3 can stay 4.1
You don't seem to be taking into account that an MP4 container implies h.264 video while an MKV can contain any type of video format.
gazzzmoly
Release Testers
Release Testers

Post by gazzzmoly »

sorry  your right........    although  i have never cme across an mkv  that has not had .h264/x.264
randyharris

Post by randyharris »

gazzzmoly wrote: sorry   your right........     although  i have never cme across an mkv   that has not had .h264/x.264
And what about non MKV sources, what if it is one of these video types? *.mkv *.avi *.m4v *.mp4 *.m2ts *.wmv *.mov *.iso *.img
gazzzmoly
Release Testers
Release Testers

Post by gazzzmoly »

what do you mean?
randyharris

Post by randyharris »

gazzzmoly wrote: what do you mean?
Well so far you guys are only talking about MKV source video files, but there are a lot of other types of video on the usenet and the script has to be able to handle all incomers. So if you're playing video on your xbox or ps3, how do you play those other video types, do they play natively or do they require transcoding to an allowable format first.
randyharris

Post by randyharris »

gazzzmoly wrote: what do you mean?

Here is what would really help, and this is totally faked answers, but somthing of this format.

Xbox:
MKV - if audio is AC3 or stereo it plays native.
MOV - not playable, needs to be transcoded to this format.
AVI - plays natively
M4V - Plays if in proper format
etc...

PS3:
MKV - if audio is AC3 or stereo it plays native.
MOV - not playable, needs to be transcoded to this format.
AVI - plays natively
M4V - Plays if in proper format
etc...
randyharris

Post by randyharris »

Here's my problem with that list, how do I test the video types to make sure they fall into the correct specifications on that page? And I don't see MKV listed.
gazzzmoly
Release Testers
Release Testers

Post by gazzzmoly »

the ps3 doesnt play .mkv      please come into irc  or use skype or something this is gunna take ages otherwise :) 
wokavan

Post by wokavan »

randyharris wrote:
Here's my problem with that list, how do I test the video types to make sure they fall into the correct specifications on that page? And I don't see MKV listed.
Thanks for the help, I actually wasn't trying to ask for anything as involved as a whole script alternative. I was thinking of the possibility of just creating one specific category modifier that the script could pick up on (like you currently have modifiers such as"tv 720p iphone", perhaps it's a new modifier like "tv 720p mkvh264src") and then use the quicker transcoding method for a 720p MKV h264 source to 720p M4V destination. The main reason I was requesting such a feature was that 90% of the files I grab from usenet are 720p MKV tv shows and I'd love for them all to get sucked into iTunes properly tagged like your script accomplishes, and I thought perhaps there was a way to achieve this without the 1 - 2 hour full conversion for this particular file type. I realize your script does oodles more than this and it's setup to process the whole spectrum of video file types and creating something for such a specific use-case is pretty selfish of me, but I figured I'd ask anyway :).

Thanks again for all your help.
gazzzmoly
Release Testers
Release Testers

Post by gazzzmoly »

wokavan wrote:
randyharris wrote:
Thanks for the help, I actually wasn't trying to ask for anything as involved as a whole script alternative. I was thinking of the possibility of just creating one specific category modifier that the script could pick up on (like you currently have modifiers such as"tv 720p iphone", perhaps it's a new modifier like "tv 720p mkvh264src") and then use the quicker transcoding method for a 720p MKV h264 source to 720p M4V destination. The main reason I was requesting such a feature was that 90% of the files I grab from usenet are 720p MKV tv shows and I'd love for them all to get sucked into iTunes properly tagged like your script accomplishes, and I thought perhaps there was a way to achieve this without the 1 - 2 hour full conversion for this particular file type. I realize your script does oodles more than this and it's setup to process the whole spectrum of video file types and creating something for such a specific use-case is pretty selfish of me, but I figured I'd ask anyway :).

Thanks again for all your help.

i am exactly the same as you fella    but i a m not sure i am making my self very clear.     i want the same where mkv  is remuxed (not rencoded)   to a file type that is able to import into itunes but is also playable on my ps3    i think he problem lies with the audio that is contained in the .mkv      for example   itunes does not support ac3 audio in an mp4 container.  but the ps3 does .  same with dts .     i think   both support h264 with aac audio under the mp4 container.       where as neither support .mkv

also thee is a script that seems to do more or less all of it  called mkv to mp4  but it leaves the audio as ac3  which wont work on ipad  and also it cuts the file up at 4 gig (for xbox)
http://code.google.com/p/mkv2mp4/

i just dont know what to do with it  to modify it
Last edited by gazzzmoly on June 13th, 2010, 3:16 pm, edited 1 time in total.