AppleTV Movies and TV Show script for Mac

Come up with a useful post-processing script? Share it here!
randyharris

Re: AppleTV Movies and TV Show script for Mac

Post by randyharris »

i am exactly the same as you fella    but i a m not sure i am making my self very clear.     i want the same where mkv  is remuxed (not rencoded)   to a file type that is able to import into itunes but is also playable on my ps3    i think he problem lies with the audio that is contained in the .mkv      for example   itunes does not support ac3 audio in an mp4 container.  but the ps3 does .  same with dts .     i think   both support h264 with aac audio under the mp4 container.       where as neither support .mkv
Actually it does support AC3 but you can't use MP4 you need to use the extension M4V.

Does your PS3 play M4V?
gazzzmoly
Release Testers
Release Testers

Post by gazzzmoly »

i could make 1        whats settings and tools should i use
gazzzmoly
Release Testers
Release Testers

Post by gazzzmoly »

its for my ipad and ps3  sorry and the ipad /iphone /ipod  doesn't support ac-3     
randyharris

Post by randyharris »

Here's the thing guys, I really don't want to get involved in figuring out and testing getting video on platforms that I don't use. Why don't you guys work together to research and test the resulting videos. If you can find a method of getting it done from Terminal (not GUI) apps, then I'll certainly consider adding it into the script.

Some sites that I have had good luck finding answers for video stuff:

The Forums at www.macrumors.com
The Forums at www.doom9.org
The Forums at www.Handbrake.fr
And of course www.google.com
Last edited by randyharris on June 13th, 2010, 3:09 pm, edited 1 time in total.
gazzzmoly
Release Testers
Release Testers

Post by gazzzmoly »

hi randy       at the moment i use a program called mkvtools   i pass it .mkv   tell it i want apple tv  select an audio source adn tell it to passthrough the video and convert the audio to acc and change the container to .mp4   this seems to work .....

also thee is a script that seems to do more or less all of it   called mkv to mp4  but it leaves the audio as ac3   which wont work on ipad   and also it cuts the file up at 4 gig (for xbox)
http://code.google.com/p/mkv2mp4/

i just dont know what to do with it   to modify it

So I figured out some of it.    But when run I get error.  Unable to find mp4box. Or something
Last edited by gazzzmoly on June 13th, 2010, 4:27 pm, edited 1 time in total.
randyharris

Post by randyharris »

Question for anybody following this thread.

As I look to migrating this script from the 'AppleTV Script' to the 'Mac SAB Video Script' there is question I would like to get some feedback on. I ask because it is fundamental to how I structure the script so I'll take feedback under consideration.

This is about whether or not to having a default set for a primary device.

The way the script operates today is that it always creates a copy for an AppleTV, and optionally will create a second copy for another device, i.e.: iPod, iPhone, Apple Universal Format.

As I ponder the upcoming changes I am wondering if I should have the new open format version of the script still have a default device or not. If the script has a default device, it would be a user setting, it could be any supported device, AppleTV, iPad, PS3, XBox, Plex (in the case of Plex the file is just moved to a location). So any time a TV Show, Movie, or Music Video is downloaded through SAB, and the Category and Script were set for the download, a copy would always be made for the default device. Optionally the user could also have a second copy made. So you could have say your default as PS3, and a second copy made for an iPad.

I only know my habits, and I always use my AppleTV as my default, but if you are somebody with Plex, AppleTV, PS3, etc etc would you want to default to one device or be able to specify which device for each download.

In usage what would be different is this:

If there are default devices then your categories would only need be: TV; Movie; Music Video.
If there is no default device it would have to be a part of your Category: TV XBOX, TV PS3, TV AppleTV, Movie Plex, etc.

I'd appreciate your input.

Thanks.
gazzzmoly
Release Testers
Release Testers

Post by gazzzmoly »

Hi Randy,

My usage is as follows    i always watch movies through my ps3. my children always watch through ps3.  i usually watch tv shows on ps3 as do my children..    some tv shows i would want on my ipad  but not every series for example.....  i want every single episode of cheeseville(made up name) on my ipad but not the "secret adventures of the fireplace burglar"    this could be done based on a file with an array of show names in and what formats they want them in..  then a user could update themselves...  and would not need to be sat in-front of sab to change the category . i use sickbeard so would be difficult for me to manually change the categories for individual shows

or maybe based on categories    (might be interesting if sick-beard let you pick a category for each show..(but thats for later)

i hope this helps..  shame you cant allocate individual categories for each show in sick-beard...
wokavan

Post by wokavan »

randyharris wrote: Question for anybody following this thread.

As I look to migrating this script from the 'AppleTV Script' to the 'Mac SAB Video Script' there is question I would like to get some feedback on. I ask because it is fundamental to how I structure the script so I'll take feedback under consideration.

This is about whether or not to having a default set for a primary device.

The way the script operates today is that it always creates a copy for an AppleTV, and optionally will create a second copy for another device, i.e.: iPod, iPhone, Apple Universal Format.

As I ponder the upcoming changes I am wondering if I should have the new open format version of the script still have a default device or not. If the script has a default device, it would be a user setting, it could be any supported device, AppleTV, iPad, PS3, XBox, Plex (in the case of Plex the file is just moved to a location). So any time a TV Show, Movie, or Music Video is downloaded through SAB, and the Category and Script were set for the download, a copy would always be made for the default device. Optionally the user could also have a second copy made. So you could have say your default as PS3, and a second copy made for an iPad.

I only know my habits, and I always use my AppleTV as my default, but if you are somebody with Plex, AppleTV, PS3, etc etc would you want to default to one device or be able to specify which device for each download.

In usage what would be different is this:

If there are default devices then your categories would only need be: TV; Movie; Music Video.
If there is no default device it would have to be a part of your Category: TV XBOX, TV PS3, TV AppleTV, Movie Plex, etc.

I'd appreciate your input.

Thanks.
Personally, I'd vote for the simplicity of having a (user-defined) default device. I suppose another roundabout way to approach the problem would be to allow a user to negate the default device through a tag (ie "Movie iPhone Only") since I'd assume a good majority would appreciate the default device setup. Thanks!
randyharris

Post by randyharris »

I've made some nice changes to the script before wholesale redoing it. My wholesale redo will support devices like PS3, Xbox, Plex, etc...

In the mean time, given the rise of iPad's and iPhone4's out there, I have changed the script from being an AppleTV centric script to an iTunes centric script.

The primary device can now be any iPod, iPad, AppleTV, iPhone etc.. previously only an AppleTV could be the primary device. If you choose to have a second copy made for a second device, the list has been expanded from before as well.

I'll test it out a little bit, and hopefully post it before I take off for the 4th of July weekend.
randyharris

Post by randyharris »

I didn't have the time to really test this out as planned so am posting it with caution.

Note that the Tutorial has not been updated, it is geared for the previous AppleTV version.

But if you want to give it a try here it is, please PM me if you have any troubles and I'll reply after the holiday weekend.
Last edited by randyharris on July 12th, 2010, 11:32 pm, edited 1 time in total.
randyharris

Post by randyharris »

The rush job showed... I realized that the script was always trying to create a second copy of the video, this has been fixed, and here is a new build of the new package.

In case you're lost in this thread - this new package is NOT AppleTV centric, but rather iTunes centric. You can pick any iTunes compatible device as your primary device for video, AppleTV, iPad, iPhone3, iPhone 4, iPod, etc... You can also on  demand have a second file created for a secondary device, e.g.: You may want to have a primary for either AppleTV or iPad and then a secondary copy for your iPhone.
Last edited by randyharris on July 12th, 2010, 11:32 pm, edited 1 time in total.
randyharris

Post by randyharris »

There was a single character omission in the script file which unfortunately made the Primary Device settings in Handbrake not properly set. Should be corrected now.

edit: [sigh] sometimes I really just don't understand how terminal is so picky, things work perfectly when tested in terminal but can fail when the script is fired off by SAB. I had something that was working great in testing but failed when run by SAB. Fixed yet again and uploaded. Enjoy.
Last edited by randyharris on October 27th, 2010, 10:13 pm, edited 1 time in total.
randyharris

Post by randyharris »

For anybody following this thread.

Gotta say - it's been working freaking awesome for a long time now, loving the automated setup.

A couple of months ago I switched to a nightly build of HandBrakeCLI for a compatibility reason with certain file types - and it broke my 720P ability for encoding. I took the easy way out and just went with standard AppleTV resolution. Today I finally got motivated to figure out what was up, and I fixed it so now 720P works again.

If you are using it, I recommend saving your "Applications/SAB/Scripts/iTunes" current file, and after you install the new files, overwrite the new iTunes file with your old one so that your settings are preserved.

Give a shout out if you are using this. :)

Download the Mac SAB iTunes Script Install Pak.
teszeract
Release Testers
Release Testers

Post by teszeract »

randyharris wrote: For anybody following this thread
Give a shout out if you are using this. :)

Download the Mac SAB iTunes Script Install Pak.
Hey there. I'm a fairly new user of SABNZBD. I'm going to buy an Apple TV now after finding this! Will report back on how it works for me. Cheers.
teszeract
Release Testers
Release Testers

Post by teszeract »

Whoopsie ... first time ever I got a failed installation on my mac.  The message was:

Install Failed.
The installer could not install some files in "/usr/lib".
Contact the software manufacturer for assistance.

Will head over to the readme file and check out the logs.

Update:
I see log entries about iCal buddy crashing immediately after install. I'm using iCalbuddy with Nerdtool.
The message that attracted my attention was:

Code: Select all

Nov 12 17:59:04 UserName [0x0-0x91091].com.allocinit.NerdTool[9012]: dyld: Library not loaded: /usr/lib/libbz2.1.0.dylib
Does libbz2.1.0.dylib have anything to do with the library the installer tried to process?

Update 2:
I somehow hosed my system :( Now re-installed and updated to 10.5.8. I'm reluctant to try again (just in case it was the script that caused issues). I noticed I can't look into the .pkg at all - is that normal?

But I really want to make this script work, so I might bite the bullet and try again :nervous

ps The tutorial has a link on p3 to the AppleTV Script Pak, which is a dead link - is that the same as the download above, or additional?
Last edited by teszeract on November 12th, 2010, 7:54 am, edited 1 time in total.