Another ExtJS template.

Got a neat new template? Share it here!
flydeprutten

Another ExtJS template.

Post by flydeprutten »

Last weekend i started making a template for SABnzbd, to learn how the program is put together.
I have some experience in useing ExtJS to build web-apps, so i chose that, even though it has already been use for another template.
The template will have fetures like, drag-and-drop queue, editable listviews, and i am aiming for a desktop look and feel.

The template is mainly made for personal use (and for some friends), but perhaps others are interested.  ;)

I need to do some polishing and some initial testing, but i think i can post an early version next week.
I would appreciate to hear your opinions on it, good or bad :)

--UPDATE--

This is an early version. It has no configuration menu (It uses the config-menu from classic-template), and I am still working on the history menu.

It has been tested it in Firefox 3.6.6, Safari 5 and Internet Explorer 8 and SABnzbd version 0.5.0, 0.5.2 and 0.5.3.

The package which I've attached contains a folder named "ExtJs". It should be placed in the Interfaces folder under the SABnzbd program folder.

ExtJs.zip

Please let me know what you think :)

--UPDATE--

New version:

ExtJs-r070610.zip
Last edited by flydeprutten on July 16th, 2010, 4:57 am, edited 1 time in total.
JayBird

Re: Another ExtJS template.

Post by JayBird »

Looks interesting.

I will reserve judgment until i can test it out  :)
flydeprutten

Post by flydeprutten »

JayBird wrote: I will reserve judgment until i can test it out  :)
That is of course very understandable :)

I am not completely comfortable releasing right now, but I can post a new screenshot, showing of some new features.

Last edited by flydeprutten on July 9th, 2010, 3:35 pm, edited 1 time in total.
rascalli

Post by rascalli »

Looks promessing.

Also won't mind testing it out
flydeprutten

Post by flydeprutten »

ok, this is a very very early version. It most likely has a lot of bugs. besides it has no configuration menu, and I am still working on the history menu.

I've tested it in Firefox 3.6.6, Safari 5 and Internet Explorer 8 and SABnzbd version 0.5.0, 0.5.2 and 0.5.3.

The package which I've attached contains a folder named "ExtJs". It should be placed in the Interfaces folder under the SABnzbd program folder.

Download link
Last edited by flydeprutten on July 11th, 2010, 4:34 am, edited 1 time in total.
JayBird

Post by JayBird »

Just one question, why when using this template does it max out the internet connect when connecting to SAB remotely? Im guessing it is to keep the data on screen updated, but it seems a little excessive. I thought it would poll for updates periodically?

Looks like a good start apart from that though!
flydeprutten

Post by flydeprutten »

JayBird wrote: Just one question, why when using this template does it max out the internet connect when connecting to SAB remotely? Im guessing it is to keep the data on screen updated, but it seems a little excessive. I thought it would poll for updates periodically?

Looks like a good start apart from that though!
This is because it pulls all the data (even the data you are not seeing) every second. This has to be changed. It doesn't make sence to pull date for a table, which is not showing. I also need to implement a function, where you can change the update rate of the data.

At this point, it is a good idea to only use this template locally. ;)
JayBird

Post by JayBird »

Okay, thought it may have been something like that.

Looking forward to more refinements
Aikar

Post by Aikar »

flydeprutten wrote: This is because it pulls all the data (even the data you are not seeing) every second. This has to be changed. It doesn't make sence to pull date for a table, which is not showing. I also need to implement a function, where you can change the update rate of the data.

At this point, it is a good idea to only use this template locally. ;)
You might not be able to break it out completely...

Is the SABnzbd web server single or multi threaded?
If its single threaded then you will only be able to do 1 AJAX call at a time regardless.

If so, you will have to get all data for a specific view on 1 request for optimal performance.

also a bug report i think: I tried to capture the UI with Mozilla Prism, which turns a web page into an app kinda thing that can be minimized to tray w/o any browser controls (a windows GUI wrapping a browser viewport to static URL)
It just loads up white and wont initialize the UI.

Could you look into that? Then people could really turn this into a Desktop like application.
flydeprutten

Post by flydeprutten »

I am changing the ajax-requests, so that it only makes one request at a time, and instead of making a request every second, it makes a request, receives the data, and THEN waits one second.

Even if the server is multithreaded, it is a good idea to not bombard the server with requests, i think. Especially if the server is on a ADSL-line, or similar.

I will post the new version tonight or tomorrow. :)
rdougan

Post by rdougan »

Looking good.

Let me know if you want any help with this - more than happy to help. I have a vast amount of knowledge of ExtJS. ;)

You should put it up onto GitHub!
flydeprutten

Post by flydeprutten »

rdougan wrote: Let me know if you want any help with this - more than happy to help. I have a vast amount of knowledge of ExtJS. ;)
It would be great to have some help on this. :-)
rdougan wrote: You should put it up onto GitHub!
I have never used GitHub or something similar, and I have never received any training in programming, so my approach is often very chaotic. But it sounds like a good idea. :)
rdougan

Post by rdougan »

We should maybe chat on IM/PM then, I could get us setup on GitHub. :)

This has great potential.
2ndHouse

Post by 2ndHouse »

Wow, amazing theme! Hope it continues to be improved. This theme should be bundled with official installers in the future.
flydeprutten

Post by flydeprutten »

I have uploaded a new version that does not burden the network as much as the old version.

In the picture below you can see the load of my network respectively for the old and new version when SABnzbd runs idle.

I added the new version to my original post.