Regarding "Newzbin 2"

Get help with all aspects of SABnzbd
Forum rules
Help us help you:
  • Are you using the latest stable version of SABnzbd? Downloads page.
  • Tell us what system you run SABnzbd on.
  • Adhere to the forum rules.
  • Do you experience problems during downloading?
    Check your connection in Status and Interface settings window.
    Use Test Server in Config > Servers.
    We will probably ask you to do a test using only basic settings.
  • Do you experience problems during repair or unpacking?
    Enable +Debug logging in the Status and Interface settings window and share the relevant parts of the log here using [ code ] sections.
floyd

Re: Regarding "Newzbin 2"

Post by floyd »

shypike wrote:
Homerboy wrote: Sadly it seems as if they did break something. Even with the latest SABnzbd. I'm still getting the "WARNING: Problem accessing Newzbin server." errors. Sucks. I LOVED the bookmark feature so very much. Maybe I'm doing something wrongm but all I SHOULD have to do is enter a username/password.
"
Newzbin acknowledged on their news page that they indeed broke things.
Solving it is not "a high priority" for them.
Solving it in SABnzbd is something we're very reluctant to do, where does it end?
Apparently the problem was with the python2.6 with which sabnzbd is written - it couldn't cope with TLS encryption.  Fortunately newzbin have implemented a workaround for this.  So at least they are bothering to actually look at the problem.  :P
shypike
Administrator
Administrator

Post by shypike »

Actually it's Python 2.5, but it makes no difference.
As far as  I can tell, it's working now.
They were a bit naive in demanding TLS as a minimum protocol.
You can bet that there are more scripting languages (and tools like wget and curl) that
don't speak TLS.
You don't use an API from a browser (which do know TLS).
michald

Post by michald »

For what it's worth is STILL get a permanent "Retrieving NZB..." in the latest sabnzbd.

It's quite frustrating not being able to figure out what the problem is.
opt

Post by opt »

Silly ethics post is silly. As the buddhists say, there is no right or wrong, only wise and unwise... since newzbin is how i found and why I still use this program, I think it's very wise that some random group (of blood thirsty thieves MUHAHAHA) chose to keep the site going by their own means. OP, I think this is a great program.. one of the best i've ever had the pleasure of using, but your moral objection defeats the very purpose of writing such an awesome program in the first place. However, I get it, if the crack team at newzbin2 is making your life a living hell, we understand that there will be bugs, no big deal, but try to understand that many of us still use your awesome program due to the fact we can browse newzbin -> right click -> copy link address -> paste into sabnzbd and wait for sweet DL goodness
syth

Post by syth »

I posted a support ticket about not being able to download nzb files view sabnzb via either their url, short code, or bookmark and got a reply that has caused me to once again disable newzbin from sabnzbd and Episode Butler:
Mardoxx (EdAdmin)
Sorry but we can't help you with your downloading problems -- we're not inclined to help people break the law
I made no mention of breaking any law, just asked why I was unable to get nzbs downloaded via sabnzb while I could still download them manually (see my other thread at http://forums.sabnzbd.org/index.php?topic=4727.0
c0ld

Post by c0ld »

syth wrote:
Mardoxx (EdAdmin)
Sorry but we can't help you with your downloading problems -- we're not inclined to help people break the law
Sorry to say it, but most of the edadmins are a bunch of douches now. It's really not the same place as it used to be. The general lack of prompt, good quality reports being made means it's not really worth the money any more.
daemox

Post by daemox »

Not worth the eight bucks a year? Just in case there is something that hasn't been reported elsewhere?

If you say so! :D

Personally, I don't care about the politics or the drama. It works and it's being improved and is recovering. For me, it's my first stop and will be until another search provider becomes more refined.

Don't get me wrong, I'm super glad there are other real alternatives now, and I'm a paid member to pretty much them all (if I'm not mistaken), but Newzbin is still my provider of choice.

Yay, for choices though huh?

Cheers,
daemox
daemox
Nademan

Post by Nademan »

Heres something interesting, the day I sign up at Newzbin my account at Giganews is highjacked and someone is stealing my bandwidth. I certainly don't have any proof and not sure how someone would do that, but it seems awfully odd that it happened that day and its the only time it has ever happened in 4 years. Deleted my account!