How to get minimal RAM usage?

Support for the Debian/Ubuntu package, created by JCFP.
Forum rules
Help us help you:
  • Are you using the latest stable version of SABnzbd? Downloads page.
  • Tell us what system you run SABnzbd on.
  • Adhere to the forum rules.
  • Do you experience problems during downloading?
    Check your connection in Status and Interface settings window.
    Use Test Server in Config > Servers.
    We will probably ask you to do a test using only basic settings.
  • Do you experience problems during repair or unpacking?
    Enable +Debug logging in the Status and Interface settings window and share the relevant parts of the log here using [ code ] sections.
bugmenot

How to get minimal RAM usage?

Post by bugmenot »

Hello,

I'm running sabnzbd on a Ubuntu VPS with 128MB of RAM. Are there any settings or tweaks I can make to keep it running within this limit of 128MB? Any help is greatly appreciated.  :D
shypike
Administrator
Administrator

Re: How to get minimal RAM usage?

Post by shypike »

128M will be a real challenge!
- Do not use an article cache
- Don't make the queue very large (like hundreds of jobs)
- Don't load very large NZb's (like >10G downloads)
- Don't define a secondary UI
- Use the Plush skin with a low refresh rate (never use Classic).
- Consider using option "no download during post-processing".
sander
Release Testers
Release Testers

Post by sander »

bugmenot wrote: Hello,

I'm running sabnzbd on a Ubuntu VPS with 128MB of RAM. Are there any settings or tweaks I can make to keep it running within this limit of 128MB? Any help is greatly appreciated.  :D
Are you actually *able* to run SABnzbd in 128 MB RAM, or have you not yet tried it?

FWIW: In the thread here (http://forums.sabnzbd.org/index.php?top ... icseen#new) I wasn't able to run SAB without errors under 300 MB RAM. So I sticked to "ulimit -d 500111 -m 500111 -v 5001111"
Please don't send me unrequested PM's; the forum is the best way to communicate.
If someone helps you, please reply to that help.
f you like our support, check our special newsserver deal or donate at: https://sabnzbd.org/donate
bugmenot

Post by bugmenot »

Thanks for the suggestions.

I have 128MB dedicated RAM with another 128MB "burstable" meaning it can go above 128MB, but is unstable past that point. Yes, I have ran and used sabnzbdplus but it gave errors on post processing, yes. I'm fine with disabling that.

The problem is that I'll be sitting around 10MB memory usage, and as soon as I start sabnzbd, my memory usage shoots up to 195MB even when it's just sitting idle. Weird thing is that it barely uses any more RAM when downloading with 8 connections. I tried setting limits to around 128 with ulimit but sabnzbd crashes when trying to create the web interface...
sander
Release Testers
Release Testers

Post by sander »

If SABnzbd is not going to work, you could have a look at NZBGet: "NZBGet requires low system resources and runs great on routers, NAS-devices and media players. "

HTH
Please don't send me unrequested PM's; the forum is the best way to communicate.
If someone helps you, please reply to that help.
f you like our support, check our special newsserver deal or donate at: https://sabnzbd.org/donate
bugmenot

Post by bugmenot »

It looks like NZBGet might be the solution here. It seems to use up about 15MB of memory per connection, so about 60MB with 4 connections. I've not tried the web interface addon yet, though.

Is there a way to run sabnzbd without the web interface? I wonder if that would help with the memory usage, and I could just throw the nzb files in the watch directory.

edit: nevermind, just going to stay with NZBGet. I don't think sabnzbd is doable with such low RAM.
Last edited by bugmenot on August 18th, 2010, 11:03 pm, edited 1 time in total.