iPhone alpha/beta testers needed...

Got a program that plays well with SABnzbd? Share it here!
mcglynnapps

iPhone alpha/beta testers needed...

Post by mcglynnapps »

Hi all,

I've got a project that I've been working on that's just about ready for some alpha testing, I think.  Functionality is about 90% there but I'm still working on the UI -- some areas leave a lot to be desired, like "working" for example -- and chasing down some bugs.  I think I'm ready to have some other people give it a try though.

It's a remote interface for SABnzbd.  It's iPhone only at this time, although there are plans for an iPad version after the initial release.  It allows queue monitoring and control and allows searching NZBs.org and queueing what you want to SABnzbd for download.

I'm looking for five to ten people to do some beta testing.  I'd prefer some people that are heavy SABnzbd users and that do a decent number of searches and would consider themselves to be very proficient in using and configuring SABnzbd.  You know, people that use categories, have a large number of downloads, that sort of thing.  In other words I don't want to have to explain how to find your API key  ;)

Oh, and you have to be an NZBs.org user...no other sites are supported at this time.

And to answer the inevitable questions:

Q:  Why write this?  We already have an app that does all this stuff.
A:  I wrote it for fun and my friends think it's pretty OK.  I like it better but I'm a little biased.  And there are a couple of compelling features that set it apart from MyNZB.

Q:  Just NZBs.org?  Are you going to support anything else?
A:  Maybe later, but probably not with the initial release.  It's all I use and, while I'd like to support other sites in the future, my primary objective is to get my app onto the app store ASAP and worry about enhancements like this later.

Anyways, if you're interested just reply to this thread and I'll send you a PM when I'm ready to begin testing.  I'm realistically looking at two to three weeks...
mcglynnapps

Re: iPhone alpha/beta testers needed...

Post by mcglynnapps »

*sniff*  :'(
NK26

Post by NK26 »

Im a pretty heavy user, I've been using Sab for a long time, And I've got it running on other apps, Sabcommand/mynzb. Setting up this app should be no issue at all. Since yesterday I've downloaded about 40 things. :)
Jabroni

Post by Jabroni »

Drop me a line if you need another tester. I got an iPhone4 running 4.0.2 here and an iPad. Im very familiar with setting this things up (I use mynzb and sabcommand)
ReflexReaction

Post by ReflexReaction »

Yes, I'll bite. Use two sab servers, use categories and use remote access to my machines out in real world.

I also use mynzb and nzbs.org pretty much hourly.
psycik

Post by psycik »

Does the iPhone have to be JB?
j005u

Post by j005u »

I'm a heavy Sab user including categories and post-processing etc. I currently use myNZB for all my remote needs and nzbs.org for almost all my searches. I'm also an iPhone developer, so pulling crash logs etc shouldn't be much of an issue (=. My main phone is a JB-d iPhone 4 on 4.0.1, but I also have access to a 3g, 2g and an iPad (although not 24/7). I can also probably do some testing on pre-release firmwares whenever they come out for us devs (haven't had time to muck around with 4.1 just yet).
mcglynnapps

Post by mcglynnapps »

Great, thanks guys!  I'll definitely be in touch in the next couple of weeks.  Still trying to finish up the feature set and get to the point where it's time to iron out the bugs.

Nope, your phone doesn't have to be jailbroken.  I'll create an ad-hoc distribution so you'll be able to run it on your unmodified phone as if you downloaded it from the app store...now that I finished tearing all my hear out trying to get that to work right.
mcglynnapps

Post by mcglynnapps »

j005u, maybe you can just fix all the issues for me  :)

4.1 isn't too much different than 4 from what I can tell...not that I've done much iPhone development, though.  Guess I don't really touch any of the new stuff.  I did notice a few apps that I own ran strange under some older 4.1 betas so put my phone back to the current production version.
nomar383
Release Testers
Release Testers

Post by nomar383 »

I'd be willing to beta test for you. I'm the developer of SABCommand for the iPad, so I'm pretty proficient at getting connected and setting up servers :)
SABCommand for iPad Developer
SABConnect for Safari 5 Developer

Bug Tracking:
http://redmine.kalenhansen.com

Twitter:
http://twitter.com/SABCommand
prophetizer

Post by prophetizer »

definately interested in testing, have an iphone4, 3gs, and ipad so let me know.

thanks.

PS, you can never have too many apps that do the same thing, different people like things to work differently
mcglynnapps

Post by mcglynnapps »

Great, thanks all!

nomar383, I think I saw that you had to rename your app at some point...was it because it had NZB in the name?
nomar383
Release Testers
Release Testers

Post by nomar383 »

mcglynnapps wrote: Great, thanks all!

nomar383, I think I saw that you had to rename your app at some point...was it because it had NZB in the name?
No, it was the "pad" in the name that got it rejected after 4 updates had already been approved haha

Bug Tracking:

Twitter:
mcglynnapps

Post by mcglynnapps »

And while I'm thinking about it, why do those of you that use more than one server do so?  I know MyNZB supports multiple servers and was surprised when I saw that back whenever since I never really thought about running more than one.  Easier for storage, different locations, stuff like that?
nomar383
Release Testers
Release Testers

Post by nomar383 »

mcglynnapps wrote: And while I'm thinking about it, why do those of you that use more than one server do so?  I know MyNZB supports multiple servers and was surprised when I saw that back whenever since I never really thought about running more than one.  Easier for storage, different locations, stuff like that?
I have a buddy that dual boots windows/mac and has a server set up on each. For me, I have one for testing and one for personal use. Other people may have one server setup with their TV, another on a storage server, another on their desktop, etc.

It comes in handy to the user and doesn't take much more work to support more than one server.

Bug Tracking:

Twitter: