SABnzbd+ Install, Setup, and Configuration Guide for Ubuntu 10.04 (Lucid Lynx)

Support for the Debian/Ubuntu package, created by JCFP.
Forum rules
Help us help you:
  • Are you using the latest stable version of SABnzbd? Downloads page.
  • Tell us what system you run SABnzbd on.
  • Adhere to the forum rules.
  • Do you experience problems during downloading?
    Check your connection in Status and Interface settings window.
    Use Test Server in Config > Servers.
    We will probably ask you to do a test using only basic settings.
  • Do you experience problems during repair or unpacking?
    Enable +Debug logging in the Status and Interface settings window and share the relevant parts of the log here using [ code ] sections.
Ainer

SABnzbd+ Install, Setup, and Configuration Guide for Ubuntu 10.04 (Lucid Lynx)

Post by Ainer »

Introduction

This is my long time coming, (updated) Install, Setup, and Configuration guide for SABnzbd+ on Ubuntu 10.04 (Lucid Lynx). This guide should be easily adaptable for Linux Mint 9 (Isadora), and somewhat close for Debian Squeeze and Sidux.

This guide will be actively maintained and updated throughout the life of the Ubuntu 10.04 (Lucid Lynx) Long Term Support release (two years). This is my supported and recommended operating system so I will not be doing specific guides for Ubuntu 10.10 (Maverick Meerkat) or for any subsequent releases until Ubuntu 12.04 LTS (though this guide will likely be easily adaptable for the interim releases).

The rest is available at my site, Ainer.org @ http://www.ainer.org/?p=698
Ainer

SABnzbd+, Sick Beard, Episode Butler, & other Usenet related guides for Ubuntu (and similar) at http://Ainer.org.

VDPAU, Commercial Gaming, & other guides, info, and news for Ubuntu (and similar) at http://Anihil.org.
Ainer

Re: SABnzbd+ Install, Setup, and Configuration Guide for Ubuntu 10.04 (Lucid Lynx)

Post by Ainer »

Hey all,

I did an update for my guide for Ubuntu 10.04.1 LTS and for SABnzbd+ 0.5.4. I did some minor additions and editing throughout.

Take care,
daemox
Ainer

SABnzbd+, Sick Beard, Episode Butler, & other Usenet related guides for Ubuntu (and similar) at http://Ainer.org.

VDPAU, Commercial Gaming, & other guides, info, and news for Ubuntu (and similar) at http://Anihil.org.
Harddeschijf

Re: SABnzbd+ Install, Setup, and Configuration Guide for Ubuntu 10.04 (Lucid Lynx)

Post by Harddeschijf »

Thank you for this nice post. It helpt me a lot.
I realy love the part over PAR2 for multi core computers.
Realy works well ;D
daemox

Post by daemox »

Hey Harddeschijf,

Thanks, I'm glad it was helpful!

I should be doing a minor update once the latest release of SABnzbd+ finalizes.

Take care,
daemox
daemox
uncola

Post by uncola »

This guide was a godsend.  I would have been totally lost without it.  I even had no trouble following the guide with 10.10.  seriously, this guide saved me hours of frustration
daemox

Post by daemox »

Hey Uncola,

Definitely appreciate the kind words and I'm happy to have saved you some time and frustration! I'm also glad it worked in Maverick Meerkat for you (first feedback I've had on this).

Take care,
daemox
daemox
daemox

Post by daemox »

I have edited and updated this guide for SABnzbd+ 0.5.6. There have also been a few additions and such.

Enjoy!
daemox
daemox
ubuntunewbee

Post by ubuntunewbee »

Thanks for the guide. I just started looking through it today and when I went to the link to find the NU/Linux par2 downloads, the site was giving me errors. I tried to find them elsewhere with no luck. I am reading through the rest of this section of the forum to see if I can find another link to them but if anyone can point me in the right direction, I would appreciate it.
daemox

Post by daemox »

If the site is having problems I would just skip the multi-threaded par2 program. I may be removing it in my next update anyway.
daemox
ubuntunewbee

Post by ubuntunewbee »

Thanks daemox. I went ahead and skipped that step, started the SABnzbd Quick-Start Wizard, and on step 1 get an invalid server address when setting up Astraweb whether i use news.astraweb.com or ssl.astraweb.com. I assumed I could use my astraweb account since I don't have one for giganews.
daemox

Post by daemox »

ubuntunewbee wrote: Thanks daemox. I went ahead and skipped that step, started the SABnzbd Quick-Start Wizard, and on step 1 get an invalid server address when setting up Astraweb whether i use news.astraweb.com or ssl.astraweb.com. I assumed I could use my astraweb account since I don't have one for giganews.
Yeah, you should be able to use any Usenet server. If it's just not working may need to verify the address and ports with Astraweb. If you still have problems may need to contact them directly for support.
daemox
ubuntunewbee

Post by ubuntunewbee »

This is really frustrating because I can use my astraweb account through newsbin while in Windows so I am, of course, using the same server name, port, etc... yet I still get the invalid server message. So i went ahead and just hit next through the 4 screens and then I get this message:

This Connection is Untrusted       

You have asked Firefox to connect
securely to localhost:9090, but we can't confirm that your connection is secure.

Normally, when you try to connect securely,
sites will present trusted identification to prove that you are
going to the right place. However, this site's identity can't be verified.

What Should I Do?
If you usually connect to
this site without problems, this error could mean that someone is
trying to impersonate the site, and you shouldn't continue.

So now I am unsure of continuing on. I realll want to get this to work and everything else that I have done using Ubuntu has been fine. Ugh...           
daemox

Post by daemox »

That's just because you setup SABnzbd+ to use a secure connection (HTTPS). It's encrypted, but it's not feasible to have a certificate to verify it is in fact SABnzbd+ since it's YOUR copy of SABnzbd+. Unless you are sincerely concerned about man in the middle attacks on your specific SABnzbd+ install (when you're not using it from your home network anyway) this is nothing to be concerned about and is to be expected anytime you use an SSL connection on a program you've setup yourself! If you are concerned though you can acquire a legitimate certificate and install it from http://127.0.0.1:8080/config/general/.

As far as the continued Astraweb connection problems go, triple check you've configured it properly. SSL? Correct SSL or Non-SSL port? If so, they may use a different version of SSL. This can be configured at http://localhost:8080/config/switches/. If you continue to have problems I would search the forum and if no help can be found start a dedicated thread as I simply have no experience with Astraweb (not in the last several years anyway) and it's either a configuration issue or (less likely) a bug.

Best of luck!
daemox
ubuntunewbee

Post by ubuntunewbee »

Thanks again for the info. I'll try some of this but it just does not make sense that the server info is not correct when I am either typing in the exact same thing that I would for any other newsreader program or if I copy and paste it from the Astraweb info page. And again, I can boot into Windows and run Newsbin and it works just fine.
jcfp
Release Testers
Release Testers

Post by jcfp »

That invalid server error is a known bug in 0.6.0 beta 4, and only affects the test button. Shouldn't interfere with downloading.

The other thing has to do with self-signed certificates, as explained by daemox, and is otherwise harmless as well. Just tell the browser to trust it anyway, and the message goes away.