Dont par2 repair on missing sfv option

Want something added? Ask for it here.
SABUser

Dont par2 repair on missing sfv option

Post by SABUser »

Alot of NZBs don't have the sfv included in them principally since by the time the pack hits Usenet it has had a par2 set created for them and posters or nzb creator must consider the sfv surplus to requirements.

In many respects they are probably correct since you can unpack the media without the sfv.

Would an option to consider missing/corrupted sfv as irrelevant and as such no par2 repair needed be viable?

Anything to save valuable CPU/disk cycles :)
switch

Re: Dont par2 repair on missing sfv option

Post by switch »

I don't quite understand your proposal; currently we do not use the .sfv file for any checking, all that is done by the parity files.

If you are wanting less checking for a finished file, the only current options will be the ones announced in your thread: http://forums.sabnzbd.org/index.php?topic=520.0 (verifying as downloaded)
Last edited by switch on June 12th, 2008, 7:15 am, edited 1 time in total.
SABUser

Post by SABUser »

Let me see if i can clarify with different wording.

Specifically I am not talking about sfv verification. In this scenario consider the sfv file just data.

I am seeing an increasing  number of NZB files that contain no reference to an sfv file (sfv as data only remember).

So in a typical original rar release there is usually:

SFV file
A number of rar files
an nfo file

However at some point reference to the sfv in the nzb file doesnt make it. So a typical rar set as a NZB file can contain

par2 small file
A number of par2 recovery files
A number of rar files
an nfo file

When sab downloads this nzb it completes and checks the par2. Since the sfv file is missing it considers the data set as incomplete and goes away and repairs it.

Since we do not need this SFV file all this recovery was a waste of resources if all the other files are present and correct.

I am requesting the ability to stop this pointless par2 repair.

Does that make it clearer.?

There are likely other files this could be extended to as well.
switch

Post by switch »

The issue lies more with the source of the nzb file, or the poster for not posting it.

We have no control over the parity checking that takes place, we just give the par2 process the parity file and the program takes care of everything else. So your specific request would need to be done by the makers of the par2 program and not sab.

This could be a possibility when we include on the fly verification, however I am not positive. Otherwise we have no way of knowing the specific "health" of individual files; a missing or corrupted sfv file doesn't mean there aren't any other errors in the downloaded files.