SAB Remote - Available in the App Store now! - [UPDATED]

Got a program that plays well with SABnzbd? Share it here!
loadme

Re: SAB Remote - Available in the App Store now!

Post by loadme »

loadme wrote: right now i only can see the first 20 downloads from the queue.
also the icon shows a "20". dont know why the latest added (end of queue) doesnt show up.
seems like a bug to me
is this issue known to others?

here are more suggestions for a better use of this app:
- search engine should be improved
- maybe drag and drop to change the queue order. its much faster than manually pausing everything else
- option for push messages / popup if a queue item is completed
- implementing the common delete gesture. using the finger on an item and slide the finger to the left. this should bring up a small "-" icon, what leads to removing the item from the list
sabremote

Post by sabremote »

Hi! Thanks for looking at the app.

The 20 count is not a bug, i actually query for limit of 20, so if you got more i'm not processing it. Changed it to 50 now, but will change it so if you scroll down it loads additional items. I added the limit for loading speed, with a large list it can take a while over 3g to get the list.

Changing queue order is a good one will look into that.

Push notification is something I cannot do, this requires a server setup which monitors your server.

Selecting a category is currently on my todo list also. For the search i'm busy with a real cool feature... stay tuned.

Keep an eye on sabremote.com so you can watch progress.
loadme

Post by loadme »

first off all:
please release all future versions in the german store, like you did with 1.0.  :-)
(1.1 is not available here) yes i can change the store, but i would need to get a second account. and i really dont wanne go for it

second thing in mind:
wouldnt it be possible, to offer this tool multitasking?
so i run sabremote, switch to another
and sabremote is checking in intervalls for changes to the list  (i guess every item has a unique ID? well, if not, they name itself should do it)
and if sab remote realises, that the first item changed, it could send a push to your iphone screen.
maybe i'm wrong here. i see your point and only looking for a work around.

would be awesome to get something like "ABC is completed"

and of course, like every other app, language support should help to get more attention. but in the beginning this shouldnt be a primar concern.

good look and keep the good work
loadme

Post by loadme »

ok, i have more things in mind. hope you dont bother, if i spam more suggestions

I.
current look is great. but maybe the addition of a very tiny bar at the bottom of this first element progressing from left to right, would be great.
maybe you could do this in form of a background behind the "downloading 1gb, (0:37:21 left)" line.

II.
in options you could let users choose, what to show in the queue window per item.
on/off for those items:
download progress bar
size
size left
time left
status (downloading/queued/paused)

III.
the arrow behind a queued item is currently not working. i believe its meant to show details. but a simple item tab already shows details
i would suggest the following gestures:
arrow tab -> details window
item tab and hold = scrolling (like it is)
item tab = pause/resume
tab and slide to the left (like iphone mail inbox) brings up "delete" icon. pressing it leads to a small confirmation box.
tab and slide to the right brings up drag n drop mode and you can move only this item up or down. and if you tab and slide up or down any other item you can scroll.

good luck. i love it ;)
Last edited by loadme on January 26th, 2011, 1:11 pm, edited 1 time in total.
sabremote

Post by sabremote »

Thanks for all the feedback! I'm reading them all and do my best to get it done.

- For your comment about submission to the German app store its strange... I published to the whole world no restrictions... and did the same with version 1.0 so there is no difference, its odd it isn't visible for you in your local app store...
- You comment about multitasking, I want to add multi server support in the future but got low priority for now. First want to stabilize a single server setup, push notifications only work when the app remains open, when its closed i'm unable to poll the sabnzbd environment on the background, apple sdk simply don't allow it. (for this to work I need a server kinda setup, where the server monitors your sabnzbd environment)
- Language support is for now a very low priority
- Good point on the extra status of the download, i'm currently changed the line for the item to (@) for the item thats currently in download status. Maybe thats enough, i'm also going to refine the status notifications a bit, so you can clearly see whats currently going on (contacting server, found 0 results, etc.. etc..)
- Download progress bar is a good thing, will look into it and see how it looks. (probably only the item thats currently downloading gets that progress bar, i think the interface becomes to crowded if every item got its own progress bar)
- option to let the user define it is a nice feature, will try to do something with that in the future.
- good idea about the item tab (pause, resume) and arrow tab = detail! thanks for that!

Working on it!
loadme

Post by loadme »

1.1 is still not showing up in the store.

maybe you could add an "about" button in the options, so everyone could se some credits for your work as well as the current version (right now its not visible, right?)
keep in mind, that users often use RSS feeds with sabnzb, so some items get added automatically.
sometimes those "auto adds" are wrong. so a gesture for removing items from the list would be pretty neat

as well as sorting the list if you like. the sorting thing kind of makes this app insanly good.
you could remotely search for things, add them, place them to slot 1 in the queue, and get a short msg if they are ready (if sab remote is running, i know)
so basically: when you come back home to your computer, everything done in remote, is rdy.

really looking forward to your project. sounds good and i appreciate, that you take suggestions into advice

@download statusbar:
- i think most of the time users only have one item with progress and the other items say "0%", so it shouldnt get to overwhelmed anyway
- if the status bar is very thin, i think its still very nice. maybe you could test it out
Last edited by loadme on January 28th, 2011, 9:56 am, edited 1 time in total.
loadme

Post by loadme »

hey there, any progress? :)
Darkside

Post by Darkside »

A few more ideas... Timeout should be longer, think its about 10s at the moment. If you run sabnzbd on a NAS (like I do in my 211j) this is too short on a lot of occasions - maybe make it configurable.

Another one is, if you watch the downloads, the update rate should be configirable as well. If I connect via VPN to my home LAN, an update every 5min or so would be enough...

Besides, a pretty nice little app. The only thing I'm missing besides the monetioned things above is the current download speed. But I think someone else already mentioned it in this thread.

Looking forward to the next update :)
sabremote

Post by sabremote »

Still working on it. Didn't had much time too spend lately but I'm still working on it! Thanks for the support and patience!
sabremote

Post by sabremote »

http://www.sabremote.com/2011/02/new-sa ... -features/

Working on the other functions, main focussing on the search capabilities and other cool stuff you guys mentioned. Stay tuned for more happy days  ;)
loadme

Post by loadme »

Hey,

very nice update, indeed.

I checked the iStore (german) for sabremote:

Version: 1.1,
Released: January, 20th 2011

:(
sabremote

Post by sabremote »

Haha just submitted it for review, probably take up to 3 days to show up in the store. Posted it to the rest of the world so you will probably see it now.

Patience :)
Matthisk

Post by Matthisk »

Hi there,

Can somebody tell me how to configure sab-remote, when using a proxy. My actual sabnzbd (on port 8083) is hidden behind a apache httpd server so only port 80 has to be opened (ex. http://xx.xx.xx.xx/sabnzbd). But i can not get sab-remote to work with this format?

Thnx,
Matthisk
sabremote

Post by sabremote »

First try to test it in your browser on the iPhone, if everything is accessible it should work in sab remote. Don't leave the port value empty I don't have a check for that implemented, will add it in a future release.

Adding a server will be made easier in the future.
loadme

Post by loadme »

some more ideas:
- settings: set max download speed to XXXX kbit
- settings: remote shutdown sabnzb
- settings: when finished: shutdown/stop/do nothing/close it (like basic settings within sabnzb)
- move items in queue up / down
- settings: set search engine to: nzbmatrix / newzbin / ... and may even allow to log in those pages